Bargain Expired Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread

Dodgexander

Solutions
Reaction score
I'm opening this thread and plan on keeping the bargain prefix permanent since it seems to be regularly that they are offering such good deals, but the deals come and go fast.

So here's the low down on their eBay store deals:

About the store
This is an official Panasonic outlet, not a 3rd party refurbishment. The company that operates the store is based in Oldham, Lancashire and I believe they are simply Panasonic's repair partner in the UK. They refurbish the TVs and sell them discounted on eBay. Most TVs that they receive could be returns from a store..or simply open box models they receive back from retailers with broken packaging. You can get very lucky and get a TV that has not been used at all, but you may also get a refurbished TV with some hours on it. It however will never be many hours. Your mileage may vary.

One year standard warranty
I bought my own TV from them in 2017 for £900 (65" Panasonic DX902 LCD) and whilst it arrived with a HDMI board fault, there was no trouble getting them to collect the TV, repair it and return it after a couple of months. Its certainly worth the risk, in my opinion. Given the DX902 was released in 2016 costing almost £4000, you can see how crazy the deal is.
With the outlet you get the standard 1 year warranty, the same as you would if you bought a new TV from Panasonic. You however do not get the extended 4-5 year extra warranties certain retailers place on top of the standard one year (John Lewis, Richer Sounds). But if the deal is right, the money saved greatly outweighs the warranty.
You an also purchase warranty separately if you want too, but it may come to £100 a year. You can also add or bundle the TV with other home warranties such as home appliance warranty packages. Lastly you can also add the TV to any home insurance you may already be paying, or may have as part of a deal elsewhere. See:
and

eBay & especially PayPal
If you pay with PayPal on eBay, your purchase is protected. No need to worry if you are dissatisfied as you will be able to get your money back. Its very easy to do and you are protected by PayPal. If you don't use PayPal, use a credit card for purchase protection. See: General Buying Tips for more information.

Catching the deals
This can be the hard part, and I already know people are buying these TVs on eBay and trying to make profit by selling them as "new" condition privately later on. This is a shame, since there are plenty of people who aren't in a position normally to afford a capable HDR TV which could use these instead. To get the deals you have to be quick and you have to be lucky. My tips to catch the deals: 1. They usually refresh stock once or twice a day. This usually happens annoyingly at 3am GMT, but sometimes as late as 4am. They have also refreshed stock in the evening too, but its less common (around 5-6pm I think). To catch the deals you may need to be as fast as 2-3 min when seeing the TV and purchasing it, because someone usually will be there ready to snipe it before you. When I bought my DX902 I had one or two failed attempts beforehand where I was beaten by someone else and this was 3am in the morning! Be prepared to purchase and committed when it happens. If you fail, keep trying. It took me a few weeks to finally get the deal I wanted.

Pricing
Like with new TVs the pricing of their TVs do fluctuate quite a bit. You can expect that deals on newer models will be less impressive compared to models from the year before. Usually you have to wait at least until December, sometimes later for good deals to appear for the latest TV models. In 2019 that means it probably won't be until December or later that TVs like the GX800, GZ950, GZ1000, GZ2000 start to become reasonable in price. It may even be later. My suggestion is to search eBay for past completed purchases to see what kind of prices the TVs have been selling for if there's no current stock. Not only will this give you price info for recent sales, but it will also tell you when the TV sold. Here is an example search in the past for the Panasonic GZ950: Panasonic TX-55GZ950B 55 Inch SMART 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV Freeview Play 5025232892471 | eBay - As you can see, lots of the same TV have recently sold, usually early morning where people have noticed the deal. This can give you an idea when deals are being purchased and how likely the same deal is to appear in the future. It also gives you an idea what kind of prices you can expect for each TV. Be careful when searching past sales on eBay to be sure to use the exact same model number they use in the outlet, together with the filter for the store "panasonic_outlet" (no quotes). Otherwise you'll get no results, or results from other sources.

Links
Their store website is a bit of a mess and sometimes it can be hard to find the TVs that are listed. I've found this is generally because they have two sections of the website where TVs appear. The links inside the store are often broken. Right now for example this link: is showing the FZ952 for sale, whilst clicking on televisions after visiting the website does not show all the other deals. This link however does: Not only do they have annoying problems with links, but sometimes their TVs don't show up when you search for them direct from eBay's home page, so be wary to check a few places.

Alerts/Sniping tools for eBay
Stupidly you can't rely on eBays own alerts for products, be the alerts mobile app ones or email. They only send out alerts once a day, which by that time the TV you want has already been sold. There are 3rd party services and applications that promise to scan and find you deals automatically, but they have been hit or miss for me and quite complicated to use. I had most success with an app on windows (can't remember which one), after trying various android apps and web based notification/email apps without success. Google is your friend here. Test out different ones with more common searches and see which works for you.

Current deals:

55GZ950@ £950*Red Hot
65GZ950 @ £1650*Hot
GX700/GX800/GX820 are only mediocre deals. The 50" models seem priced better than the others, but in some circumstances the TVs at 58" and 65" may be good buys for people.*Slightly Hot

Also beware that whilst Panasonic make some decent models, you generally want to avoid the cheaper TVs unless you are looking at the very bottom end of the market. The cheap TVs are rumored to be produced in Turkey by Vestel and don't have a good reputation.

I'll try my best to keep this updated!

Link to Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Damn it Dodge, keep it on the hush hush!

Refurb Panasonic 55GZ950B with 1 year warranty going for £855,add code PRODUCT5 bringing it down to £812

With the 20% code PERCENT20, would anyone recommend a refurb TX-40GX800B for £280? It’s the only size I can fit in my living room at the moment. Would be coming from a 10-year old 720p Panny plasma.

With the 20% code PERCENT20, would anyone recommend a refurb TX-40GX800B for £280? It’s the only size I can fit in my living room at the moment. Would be coming from a 10-year old 720p Panny plasma.
At that price I don't think you can complain. There's nothing really that is better at this size. It's a TV recommended in my best buy guide when new. The downside is its still a low end TV so you could pick up something like a 43" Hisense B7100 that will perform similar for £300 with an extended 5 year warranty included.

One thing the Panasonic has over other budget TVs is its HDR tone mapping, if used with HDR video it's quite a bit better at compressing HDR down to lower brightness levels without causing too many adverse effects.

As long as your expectations are low, particularly with motion or anti glare I don't think you will be disappointed with the Panasonic. Not a great bunch of TVs at small sizes so spending as little money as possible is certainly sensible.

Which apps/methods are best to be notified as soon as an item is listed?

Last edited:
Got some nice things this morning:

UB450EB 4K Blue Ray £79.99
HTB700EBK Atmos Sound Bar £159.99
HTB688EBK Soundbar £63.99

Still think the 58GX820B for £399 a few months ago was the best deal.

55555555555555555555555555555.jpg

Looks like one was listed late morning ish today

View attachment 1291362
I missed both listings. £325 seems like it's a steal but now I have to contemplate if it's worth £400 if it pops up again without the offer. Is this the first time the panasonic outlet participated in the specific seller coupons? Never seen them do that before. Wonder if it's worth waiting for another one of those offers in the hope that they're a participant or there's at least a sitewide 10-15% - either would have to coincide with a 58-gx820b listing though.

Bit of a bizarre one, but how does the gx820/800 compare to the 3D 58" dx802? I know it's 3 years older but is it actually better in some regards? The 3D, sound design and higher peak brightness for HDR are what have made me curious about it. If they pop up I'm curious if I should go for it over the gx820 despite it being 4 years old vs 1. Will certainly do some further reading to better inform myself on if this is an outlandish thought or if it's totally reasonable.

Bit of a bizarre one, but how does the gx820/800 compare to the 3D 58" dx802? I know it's 3 years older but is it actually better in some regards? The 3D, sound design and higher peak brightness for HDR are what have made me curious about it. If they pop up I'm curious if I should go for it over the gx820 despite it being 4 years old vs 1. Will certainly do some further reading to better inform myself on if this is an outlandish thought or if it's totally reasonable.
It doesn't compare at all. Manufacturers don't make anything more than small gains (sometimes regressions) year to year so a budget TV sold then will be close to the quality of a budget TV sold today.

The GX800 is actually a regression compared to the 2016 DX800 as it only uses a 60hz panel.

At this size the Panasonic GX800 deals are okay if you are dead-set on that TV, but generally there are better deals and better value options to be found elsewhere. That's why I mentioned in the opening most they are only 'mediocre'.

If you are in the market for a budget TV like the GX800 you may be better off just buying new instead from Hisense and getting an extended warranty for similar kind of prices. The B series models or U7B are 90% as good as the GX800 Panasonic.

Btw GX800/810/820 are all the same TV with different model numbers.

D=2016
E=2017
F=2018
G=2019
H=2020

So GX820 is a 2019 model the same as the GX800 and GX810.

If you are coming from a DX800 keep with what you have until you can make the step up to TVs with better HDR hardware such as the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R and only expect those models to be better when you use HDR.

First time they have participated in the 20% off, shocked me when they were on the list.

Had my 58GX820B since Feb, love it, who knows if they will be on it again, its been quite a while since the last 20% code.

With the current corona situation, i bet a lot of places want rid of stock.

Irritatingly my curved Panasonic CR852 died a few weeks back. I've TRIED popping the back off to swap boards and i've got it up to the point it just shows RGBWK full field and I'm up to the point of giving up and swapping for a new one. I'm back on my old 50" GT60!

I missed out on a 58GX820B the other afternoon by seconds. I was going through the transaction and by the time i'd entered the code it had sold :( At the £320-400 level it would have been a no brainer as I believe it has the nice HCX processor and maybe even 3D lut calibration capability - I use one for 1080p on my projector in my cinema so have the kit to calibrate!!!

Really in a quandary on quite what to get. I like Panasonic generally and am a bit of a sucker for a good deal. Keep pondering oled, but they seem to have such a premium

FYI - I just need a good screen. I've a 7.4.2 Atmos sound system, FireTV Cube, , Shield, ps4 & Xbox One S in the living room.....So Smart features, speakers and even hdimi inputs are a bit lost on me!

Oh and the 820 is a curry's special iirc and gets round price matching with the 800. It has a picture in picture app which distinguishes it!

Really in a quandary on quite what to get. I like Panasonic generally and am a bit of a sucker for a good deal. Keep pondering oled, but they seem to have such a premium
I was chasing that deal too the other day, but then I researched a little further into TVs and found out that the gx800 series would probably leave me feeling disappointed. And I think that might be relevant with your situation too.

Unfortunately, manufacturers often make nomimal improvements and even regressions as the years go by. Panasonic is no stranger to this. The gx800 is 60hz and really just a budget TV. It also doesn't have the hardware to display a proper HDR image which is arguably more impactful than 1080p to 4k - it does have this tone mapping feature which helps to alieviate some of the issues that budget TVs have with HDR that makes them quite bad for HDR content, but the actual hardware isn't up to the standards of HDR. Basically it's at the Hisense B7 level or just slightly better, but not by much.

More about the regressions, I'm not knowledgable on TVs unlike Dodgexander, so I had to google your old TVs name and found that it has a 120hz panel. That right from the get go is better than the gx800 which only has a 60hz panel and so will have worse motion and judder. I bet there are other aspects too that are worse on the gx800 and mean that your old TV is actually a better TV in most objective terms, so you may be disappointed if you purchase the gx800 expecting a superior TV.

Panasonic has stepped out of the high-end LCD game, don't let the regular gx800 price deceive you, and if you want to stick with them you should consider their OLEDs. The premium might be worth it if possible. Unless for some specific factors that depend on your use case (potential burn in), room brightness and maybe some other factors I can't think of, which could mean a mid-high end LCD/QLED is a more viable option for you.

Definitely do extra research by asking around here and don't fret over missing that deal. I was gutted too, but the more I learnt about the gx820, the better I felt about missing those deals.

I was chasing that deal too the other day, but then I researched a little further into TVs and found out that the gx800 series would probably leave me feeling disappointed. And I think that might be relevant with your situation too.

Yeah....I've just started reading through some of the linked TV guides and I'm getting all of the disappointment. Both the GT60 and CR852 were 100/120Hz - I think I just presumed the newer ones would be too. I'm not a massive motion freak but I have a feeling I might be disappointed still. I'm a movies, Netflix, Youtube person than sports and despite the two fairly recent consoles not actually a big gamer - The Xbox One S was for UHD which was a bit of a disappoint on a 55" and I don't think the curved screen was great at HDR being a firmware fudge (and may be why i can't just swap boards to revive it)

I liked the 58" being a bit of an upgrade in size yet still working with my American Style TV stand (https://photos.app.******/7DQorMiCub2obM6R8 - it's a bit of a mess given the current situation) - I could go to 65" but i'd probably hide the shelves or I'm guessing oled - Finances are more what i'm willing to sped than any hard limits. More based on value than price!

It's currently me and the cat, there's a girlfriend but she's high risk and we live separate because she's a book worm/arty type without a TV and i'm a tech geek / cinephile - I am midly worried with an oled and screen burn and falling asleep drunkenly at 4am post weekend clubbing or watching something, pausing and getting utterly distracted by something on the net :rotfl:

Maybe it's lucky i missed that deal! Back to searching I guess...

@Alaric I'd consider since you mention HDR was a disappointment on your old TV that you should search for a TV with better HDR hardware than the GX800. Sony XF9005, XG9505, Samsung Q70R or Q80R would be cheapest but the Q85R is also very recommended.

Regarding an OLED, the burn in risk isn't really any different to a Plasma TV and you already own one of those so you should already have an idea of what can cause temporary image retention or burn in. For drunken sleeps you can just set a sleep timer on the TV. There's more on burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

Obviously once you jump up to an OLED in price you are opening up to a TV that is going to give a lot better all-round picture quality, good HDR and TVs like the LG C9 are very suited for gamer/cinephiles due to their mix of great gaming future proof features and inky blacks/no motion blur.

@Alaric
Regarding an OLED, the burn in risk isn't really any different to a Plasma TV and you already own one of those so you should already have an idea of what can cause temporary image retention or burn in. For drunken sleeps you can just set a sleep timer on the TV. There's more on burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

Obviously once you jump up to an OLED in price you are opening up to a TV that is going to give a lot better all-round picture quality, good HDR and TVs like the LG C9 are very suited for gamer/cinephiles due to their mix of great gaming future proof features and inky blacks/no motion blur.

Thanks for the Help.....I've been looking and looking and thinking and then A LG 55"C6 in good condition popped up in the classifieds about 10 miles from me for a good price. I liked the curved screen of the CR852 and it fits nicely as an aesthetic - It's oled and highly rated for it's time and will probably tide me over for a year or two and see if I get on with oled - I'm also curious how passive 3D works compared with my active projector set-up

Panasonic 55GZ950B £854.99 with code PRODUCT5
Curiously the exact same price as when it doesn't have "5% off". Does anyone know if the fz802b has also had the 5% off coupon recently?

What are everyone's thoughts on getting these OLED TVs refurbished from the Panasonic outlet? Worth the saving or is the risk too high that the panel could have been abused and burn in will be imminent and perhaps soon after warranty ends? I have heard of TVs that are barely used or open box arriving, but it is really based on luck.

Suppose the fz802b does have the 5% discount also, is the extra £95 worth it for the gz950b? Is the burn in risk higher on the fz802b? I will also regularly be using it as a PC monitor, with precautions of course. P.S.: I know that burn in isn't as much of an issue these days, but it is cumulative. And I'm curious if the newer panels are even better for stopping potential burn in, so the gz950b over the fz802b.

I've been eyeing the Sony 55" xf90 deal on PRC direct (£677), but I am thinking that maybe an OLED just offers such a step up, and the xf90 has its own personal flaws with software + Dolby Vision problems. Xg95 fixes some of those problems, but now we're at the same price as a refurb gz950b from the outlet, or even more than a fz802b.

Curiously the exact same price as when it doesn't have "5% off". Does anyone know if the fz802b has also had the 5% off coupon recently?

What are everyone's thoughts on getting these OLED TVs refurbished from the Panasonic outlet? Worth the saving or is the risk too high that the panel could have been abused and burn in will be imminent and perhaps soon after warranty ends? I have heard of TVs that are barely used or open box arriving, but it is really based on luck.

Suppose the fz802b does have the 5% discount also, is the extra £95 worth it for the gz950b? Is the burn in risk higher on the fz802b? I will also regularly be using it as a PC monitor, with precautions of course. P.S.: I know that burn in isn't as much of an issue these days, but it is cumulative. And I'm curious if the newer panels are even better for stopping potential burn in, so the gz950b over the fz802b.

I've been eyeing the Sony 55" xf90 deal on PRC direct (£677), but I am thinking that maybe an OLED just offers such a step up, and the xf90 has its own personal flaws with software + Dolby Vision problems. Xg95 fixes some of those problems, but now we're at the same price as a refurb gz950b from the outlet, or even more than a fz802b.
Even if you buy new the warranty doesn't cover burn in.

The GZ950 is definitely worth the extra compared to the FZ802, a year younger with better tone mapping and better HDR format support. Each year LG make tweaks to the panels too, presumably making them more durable...although unless your usage has a lot of static elements then you shouldn't see burn in throughout the life of both TVs.

If you plan to use an OLED as a PC monitor you'll want to do things like employ a screensaver and hide the taskbar to reduce the risk. See: OLED Burn In Risk

Most of these TVs will be repairs with panel replacements, or open box returns or similar. I don't think you'll receive one that has had a lot of usage and like when you buy new, you are protected by law to return the TV within 14 days (I think that's the outlet policy). I bought the Panasonic DX902 LCD from them back in 2017 and found a HDMI fault a couple of months later. They took the TV back, repaired it and returned it just the same as service on a new TV. Definitely worth the saving compared to new.

Even if you buy new the warranty doesn't cover burn in.
I'm more so thinking if it has already been abused by the previous owner, and that burn in doesn't show until it's degraded a little more. Not sure if it even works that way anyway actually. I would certainly manage it well to reduce the chances of any burn in myself.

Each year LG make tweaks to the panels too, presumably making them more durable...although unless your usage has a lot of static elements then you shouldn't see burn in throughout the life of both TVs.
Thanks, that what I was thinking along the lines of. It's just an extra little reassurance, but both seem like they'd be fine.

Thanks for the sharp advice as always. I will probably take the leap and purchase the gz950 over the next few days. It has gone for £812 with the 5% code recently, but I'm not sure if I can count on them reducing the price back to that again so I will seriously consider this batch.

P.S.: Around when are they usually exhausted of stock? I feel like I may be holding off a little too long on this purchase, and might need a bit more impetous before they're out of last year's stock!

Last edited:
I'm more so thinking if it has already been abused by the previous owner, and that burn in doesn't show until it's degraded a little more. Not sure if it even works that way anyway actually. I would certainly manage it well to reduce the chances of any burn in myself.
Yeah but I'm not sure you would even receive a TV with a lot of use, let alone enough use to trigger burn in..or increase the risk. The idea of a refurb is its refurbished to be 'as new'. These aren't TVs that you can expect to last any less than a new model which is why they still have a 1 year warranty like the new TVs have.

Of course you don't get the same promotional 4-5 years on top that stores offer, but that isn't Panasonic themselves offering that, but the store directly. Panasonic will only look after your TV directly in the first year whether you buy it new or refurbished.

I'm not certain, but I'm quite sure the place that sells these refurbs in Oldham is a designated repair shop Panasonic license to repair the TVs in the UK. Panasonic also license them to sell their own TVs as refurbs under the Panasonic name.

65 inch gz2000 is £2299 that is ver6 cheap compared to new

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom