1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Recorder Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jaycook, Mar 26, 2005.

1. jaycook

jaycook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying the new Panasonic ES10....but I read a review at CNET that it cannot record in 16 x 9 mode. My question is: do any of the past Panasonic models record in this mode or is this something that no DVD recorder does yet? I have a Panasonic E55S that I am very happy with, but I can't find anywhere that it can or cannot record 16 x 9. The reason I want to buy the new model I explained in another post. Any comments or input appreciated!!! //reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DMR_ES10S_DVD_Recorder_silver/4505-6473_7-31310131.html?tag=pdtl-listanks! :thumbsup:

2. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E55 will record onto DVD-RAM in widescreen, but not DVD-R. Check your E55 manual; its in there. I presume the ES10 will too.

3. jaycook

jaycook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply DVD-RAM...I'll look in the manual. Is it true that no current or past DVD Recorders record in Widescreen Mode in DVD-R? And is Panasonic the only one that lets you record in Widescreen Mode (ala DVD-RAM) ?

4. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Allthough it does not record the flag in dvd-r mode it
    still records in widescreen it just means adjusting the
    picture on the tv.ie manual switching to 16-9 or zoom
    mode.The problem only arises if you have a 4:3television
    then the picture will be distorted.Not tried it so not sure
    if you can correct this by changing aspect via the dvd
    player not seen it stated that you can. :thumbsup:

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sort of....
    A 16:9 picture actually arrives as a 4:3 image which widescreen TVs expand to 16:9 by recognizing a trigger carried in an off-screen part of the scan - line 23 of the 625.
    Recordings are of the 4:3 version. This is anamorphic compression.

This is why a 16:9 image cannot be displayed correctly on a 4:3 TV unless the TV has a means of either expanding the picture sideways and chopping of the sides, or squeezing it vertically to restore the proportions. Then you see the picture in 'letterbox' form. I have a small Sanyo that can be set 'squeeze' mode to do this.

There is another complication with DVD-R video mode. The specs of the mode do not allow for the trigger to be carried in LP recordings. This means that even a 16:9 TV with automatic formatting won't know what to do, but you can usually set the TV manually to 16:9 format.
    Many retailers do this even with normal 4:3 tranmissions just to make the TV look better - but the result is all those awful short fat people.

If a recording is on a DVD/HDD machines HD or DVD-RW in VR mode, the trigger is always there and the DVD machine itself can be set to output to a 4:3 TV in either 'pan and scan' or 'letterbox' mode. But once the recording is on DVD the trigger must be there for even this to work. So an LP recording on DVD-R cannot be properly displayed on a 4:3 TV if the TV itself has no ability to choose reformatting manually.
    DVD-RAM works like DVD-RW VR mode, so while Pioneer for example can get over the problem with DVD-RW, Panasonic can do it with DVD-RAM.

OK - it's a mess - but there you are. Hope this has helped.

6. jaycook

jaycook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...that's interesting ....I have a 16 X 9 TV...so the problem seems to be only with regular 4:3 TVs....am I correct in that assumption? And if the DVD-R cannot record in 16 x 9 on ANY DVD Recorder...I wonder why the new Sony 500S that is coming out (or is out...I don't know) says it can record in 16 x 9 widescreen mode with DVD-R..won't that recording mode in widescreen just be a mess???? Seems from what I have just read here..it would be...or maybe I am still lost!!!

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The Sony range record in 16.9 on -R.
    Well, the GX300 does anyway.
    When these recordings are played on a 4.3 TV, black bars are displayed top and bottom, preserving the correct aspect ratio, instead of stretching the image to fill the screen.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You don't say what speed your recorded the DVD at. If it was SP the GX300 will arrange the pic as you say because the recording carries the flag.
    But if it is in LP mode, you may have problems unless ony have found a way of coping with the absent 16:9 flag.

9. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    OK, sorry about that. I don't record anything I'm going to keep in anything lower than SP, so I wouldn't know.

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No prob. I agree - I do the same
    It seems the LP problem is connected to the DVD-R recording specs, nothing to do with the type of recorder.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Also there is a setting called 'High Speed Recording Mode to DVD-R - On/Off' which will affect if the ws flag is recorded or not. Basically you have to set to OFF otherwise the ws flag will NOT be recorded on a HDD or RAM recording.
    I can verify this on my E100 and my mate's E95. Not sure about the new range though.

The strange thing about this setting is that the ws flag will not be recorded whether the DVD-R has been dubbed in high speed mode or not !
    I think all that is maintained (in high speed dub) is any chapters that may have be added.