Panasonic Recorded DVD's Incompatibility

sdm197

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All:hiya:

I have 2 Panasonic Recorders A DMR-E50 nonHDD, and A DMR-E100 HDD,

The problem is that I have recorded many discs loaned them to friends, but they all have the problem that they will not playback properly on other peoples players, when I try them on mine they are fine (E50/E100), I only use quality media Verbatim, Panasonic, Maxell, Sony.

Is anybody else having these problems, or is it because I was an early adopter, and newer machines no longer have this incompatibility problem when lending DVD's to friends?

All replies welcome

SDM197.

What players do these people have ? I only have problems when I lend DVD-R recordings to someone with an old LG player, they play fine on a Pioneer and a Sony player. My recordings have been made on an E85 and an E55.

I should have also mentioned before someone ask's that they are all finalized discs!

Their machines are Alba which is strange since it plays all the other crap they throw at it, even dubious movies bought at the local market,

Samsung which is quite an old unit a 709 (remember those:rolleyes: )

Sony again about a 4 year old machine,

they also will not play on my or my friends Panasonic RV32 players either, they stutter or freeze.

All replies welcome,

SDM197

Despite what you say the problems you have indicated suggest that the discs are NOT finalised.

On Your E50 select Functions - Disc Management then Finalize. Just to prove that your discs are indeed finalised.

Hi ROYOLD,

You dont even need to do that, because when you load them up the menu comes up to select the item you want to play, this is only possible when they are finalized as these all are,

Thanks for your thoughts though, I just wish it was that easy..

They do start to play but they stutter or pause in places, if they were not finalized they wouldn't play at all.

SDM197

sdm197 said:
Hi ROYOLD,

You dont even need to do that, because when you load them up the menu comes up to select the item you want to play, this is only possible when they are finalized as these all are,

Thanks for your thoughts though, I just wish it was that easy..

They do start to play but they stutter or pause in places, if they were not finalized they wouldn't play at all.

SDM197

Hooray at last someone else who has problems getting finalised DVD-R to play on friends and neighbours players! As I have said many times before mainly in other headings in this forum I find that around 20-25% of my "installed base" DVD players do not play this media no matter how I record them (2x STB DVDR , 2x PC DVD rewriter). The only way that I can suggest is to do as I did which is to take your DVD-R and copy it on a PC to DVD+R using Nero Speed (freeware)before the copy burn to set or ensure auto bitset on your rewriter to booktype as DVD-ROM. This is only possible on DVD+R and makes it look to the player like a commercial movie DVD. Using this I have had no failures yet - although about 1 in 30 discs wont play on anything which I assume is bad disc. I would guess that this is the technique the car boot merchants use to ensure their illegal copies work.

Hi Analogue,

Thanks very much for your reply, I was wondering how come all the bootleg stuff is able to play, and mine wont:mad:

I have bought some Verbatim +R on your advice and will try the convert from -R to +R changing the booktype,

Out of interest should DVD -r,+r, and Dual Layer +r,-r, all playback when they are finalized, in theory I mean:confused: should the machine "see them" as the same?

I did read somewhere that changing the booktype on +R gave better compatibility, you have just confirmed it.

Thanks for the advice,

SDM197

The samsung dvd-709 and the pana rv32 are old machines and not produced to play dvdr discs. they might play if you are lucky but there will be no guarantee.
often older machines cannot recognise the lower reflectivity of a dvdr and as such cannot play it.

sdm197 said:
Hi Analogue,

Out of interest should DVD -r,+r, and Dual Layer +r,-r, all playback when they are finalized, in theory I mean:confused: should the machine "see them" as the same?

I did read somewhere that changing the booktype on +R gave better compatibility, you have just confirmed it.

Thanks for the advice,

SDM197

Sorry dont know the answer to your dual layer question.

Booktyping DVD+R is explaned in www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

The Samsung 709 does not support DVD-R but does playback DVD+R (which is why I only used to use +R, as it was the only format common to all my machines)

RAB67 said:
The Samsung 709 does not support DVD-R but does playback DVD+R (which is why I only used to use +R, as it was the only format common to all my machines)

my 709 I bought many many years ago didn't play any type of copied film, regardless what format it was on.

Analogue said:
. I would guess that this is the technique the car boot merchants use to ensure their illegal copies work.

These people will be using duplicators to copy the film. They'll make a master copy in the pc then have a duplicator doing 3 or 7 copies at once.

I would put money on they use -R media too as it's the most popular format out there.

Froogle said:
These people will be using duplicators to copy the film. They'll make a master copy in the pc then have a duplicator doing 3 or 7 copies at once.

I would put money on they use -R media too as it's the most popular format out there.

I highly doubt that they are using DVD-R. Whilst this may be the most popular media for home recording as several popular makes of Recorders do not support DVD+R it is also not recognised (in my experience and that of the OP) by some 20-25% of players. I am not sure what you mean by a "duplicator" ? If this is just a bank of simultaneous operation DVD Rewriter drives then they will almost certainly be using DVD+R booktyped as DVD-ROM which makes them play on virtually anything.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have since tried some +R's recorded on the PC, one played without fault on the DMR-E100, the other two gave the same message "No Disc"

I am not sure what you mean by a "duplicator"

I think he means that they would strip out all the copy protection on a PC then once that was done you can buy high speed duplicators which are automated to make lots of copies from one master, I used to work for a Camera Manufacturer that made up their instruction book DVD's in this way.

I would imagine +R is used and booktyped for maximum compatibility.

SDM197

sdm197 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have since tried some +R's recorded on the PC, one played without fault on the DMR-E100, the other two gave the same message "No Disc"

I think he means that they would strip out all the copy protection on a PC then once that was done you can buy high speed duplicators which are automated to make lots of copies from one master, I used to work for a Camera Manufacturer that made up their instruction book DVD's in this way.

I would imagine +R is used and booktyped for maximum compatibility.

SDM197

Are you sure that the DVD+R's you are producing on the PC are booktyped to DVD-ROM? I use DVDIdentifier(Freeware) to establish this.
Also I should perhaps have said that I have found that my basic DVD copier software (Sonic) does not produce the DVD-ROM booktype on DVD+R although my Rewriter is supposed to automatically do this as confirmed in NeroSpeed. For a quick copy I use DVD Shrink (Freeware) to open the disc and burn with either DVDDecrypter or RoxioDVDBurner but I am sure that any DVD burner that will accept the ISO file generated by DVDShrink will do the job. Using this route I get a DVD-ROM every time.

Since posting the query I googled DVD Duplicator and got this /www.vinpowerdigital.com/Products/Duplicators/VideoBuster/Features.asp

I reckon the "VCIT technology" mentioned is bitsetting DVD+R to Booktype as DVD-ROM

Hi Analogue,

I have downoaded DVD Identifier to check a disc which I had backed up on DVDFAB previously, it spun up on the player and says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

So this brings me to my next question:cool: last night I downloaded DVD Info Pro, which supports Bit Setting, I had realised that my version of Nero would not allow booksetting on my Sony DVDRW DW-Q31A,

So I put some discs I had recorded previously in to change the booktype, there were 2 dual layer, and one 4.7G +R , the two Dual Layer ones were showing DVD-ROM which is what DVDFAB says it does, the normal one was showing +R still, so via the program I changed it to DVD-ROM.

So can you change the booktype after you have recorded it, or what I mean is if you do it after will it have the same effect?

mmmm, just put in the backup of Munich, which I thought had been changed to DVD-ROM, it clearly shows via DVD Identifier that it is still DVD+R

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

So for some reason the bitsetting didn't work on this disk, is that because of my above question that you cant change the booktype after recording?

So I tried another disc again its still showing as a +R

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]

the plot thickens, I am thinking I may have to buy a different burner which allows bitsetting from the outset such as Ricoh, or LG (Hitachi) I was hoping to get around this problem without doing that, any other ideas?

Thanks for the tip on DVD Identifier by the way:smashin:

SDM197

sdm197 said:
the plot thickens, I am thinking I may have to buy a different burner which allows bitsetting from the outset such as Ricoh, or LG (Hitachi) I was hoping to get around this problem without doing that, any other ideas?

Thanks for the tip on DVD Identifier by the way:smashin:

SDM197

I am not the expert on this by a long way all I know is that it works. Have you read the link I gave further up the thread? From this I would gather that the booktype can only be changed at the beginning of the recording sequence. As I have said earlier I seem to get a DVD+R booktype when using a "onetouch" copy programme even though my drive is supposed to booktype DVD+R to DVD-ROM automatically. Incidentally its a Philips DV8701 unit as supplied with my 9 month old Dell PC. However providing that I do the copy in 2 stages or burn an edited movie then it always booktypes DVD+R to DVD-ROM

Also as I said I have no experience of DVD+R (DL).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom