Panasonic Ram Dvd Won't Play On Pc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GASJKH2, Jan 6, 2005.

1. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;)

This forum has been my saviour for choosing a DVD Home Cinema system - ent for SCHT37R & very pleased with performance.

After learning how to use new Panasonis E85 machine over Xmas (great machine), when I load Panny DVD-RAM disc on my PC, the disc is not compatible with ROM drive. The DVD ROM drive is capable of reading DVD-RAM though according to Nero Info Tool (the ROM drive is a Mat****a SR-8585). I would like to be able to edit on my PC if possible.

Does anyone know why the ROM drive does not recognise these discs, I have also tried Ritek RAM discs and same error message occurs. Appears to be a problem with RAM discs in ROM? It reads DVD- fine though.

RAM discs are able to be recorded over many times, so would prefer to use RAM discs if possible.

Is this firmware / coded problem, or what else?
    :lease:
    HELP PLEASE!!

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I have problems using DVD_Ram because Nero sets them to protected. If I find my notes on how to enable the DVD-Ram I'll post them to this thread. Otherwise do a google for Nero and DVD-Ram.
    Once I got round the problem I can read the video files, copy them and burn to dvd-r etc.

3. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SR-8585 is a "2.6Gbyte DVD-RAM reader". Probably you used a 4.7Gbyte DVD-RAM in your E85. The two DVD-RAM is not compatible with each other. You have to buy a 4.7Gbyte compatible DVD-RAM reader into your PC to process the records of E85 - I think.

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition, you may need a device driver to be able to read DVD-RAM on a PC. I have always had to install one for any version of Windows. Some OEM drives do not come with drivers/utils whereas most retail versions come with software that includes various utils as well as the DVDRAM drivers.

5. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kabelnet for your help, it was a 4.7GB disc - hence no use, so does anyone know of a proven Panasonic DVD RAM ROM drive/burner which will read ram discs, so that I can edit etc on my PC.

6. jryoung

jryoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,
    the 2.6GB size is quite old. Any newish Panasonic RAM drive will be compatible. I have the 3x speed version on my PC, and actually use Linux too, but also had success with Windows reading/writing to 4.7GB RAM. Also, Hitachi DVDROM drives typically will read a 4.7GB ram disc and play the video

Cheers

Jonathan

7. volvofl10

volvofl10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you do need RAM drivers for a pc, the lg4120b is proven for reading 4.7 single discs
    it wont do panasonics caddied discs, but i take them out and put the actual disc in no problems.
    also, get the £1.50 blank RAM discs, there as good if not better than Panasonics own brand discs

8. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    What is the message you get when reading the 4.7gb dvd-ram?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    For £53 you can get the LG GSA4160B from Ebuyer which will handle all the formats including dual-layer DVD. It's Quickfind code 75724.

10. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a 4160, don't bank on being able to read DVD-Rs! Still not working...

11. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, have read the reviews and agreed with Nick and gone for an LG GSA4160B from Ebuyer.

Does everything I need and very versatile ref DVD RAM discs.

Thanks everyone for your help.

:thumbsup: