1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Rainbow Effect

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ruby, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've noticed a rainbow like effect on my new Panasonic 42PE50B. It's difficult to describe but I'll try my best. It appears in scenes with a solid background, where some of the background is covered in shadow. The rainbow effect seems to cover the area between the shadowed areas and the non-shadowed areas. The effect is similar to colour banding, but instead of seeing different shades of the same colour, I see a rainbow like (mostly purpley red though) effect. I've noticed this when watching DVDs (via component) and Sky+ (via RGB scart).

Anybody know what's causing this or is it normal for plasmas?

2. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't sound normal, ring panny and get an engineer out.

3. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Will do. Could it be cheap cabling that is causing this?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Is that a confession Ruby? Wash your mouth out and go and spend thousands on cable, and see if it cures the problem!
    Seriously, it could be cables if they are of the £5 variety. Is it on a stand, or on the wall, and how are the cables in general. Are they a nasty mess behind the screen, wound up with the mains, or is it neat and tidy, slack tied up, mains bundled up away from video?

5. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it on all inputs, freeview etc, try swapping cables as MAW suggests.

6. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    OK, I confess that my cables are perhaps not of the best quality (although they are better than the free ones that you get bundled with AV gear). The TV is on a stand, and yes there is a bit of a mess behind the TV in terms of cabling. However, if these problems were being caused by the proximity of a power cable, wouldn't the symptom be a sort of interference effect in the picture? My problem might be colour banding, but I'm not totally sure as this is my first plasma. I thought I knew what colour banding was - where you can see distinct bands of colour on a surface where there are supposed to be none. What I am seeing is very similar to this. It's just that in some of those bands, the colour seems to be a purplish red.

I have seen this effect on both Sky+ pictures and DVD. I tried to take some pictures but this problem doesn't show up very well on them.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, tidy it up for starters, that bit is free after all. Run some sort of calibration too, even just the THX optimiser. Then see what gives.

8. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Do data cables - eg component and scart leads suffer from interference if there laid next to power cables?

I know cat5 - computer network cable does.

9. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. Having watched the Panasonic for a few more hours last night, I'm able to more clearly define the problem. When there is a light image on the screen against a dark one, a sort of ringing effect occurs around the light part. A extreme example of this is if somebody was walking around with a torch in a dark scene, rings would form around the torch. The outer most ring always appears to be a purple/blue/red colour.

One more thing, this ringing effect seems to be a lot more noticeable in evening viewing conditions rather than day-time.

10. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've also noticed, that the only way of significantly reducing this ringing effect is by increasing the brightness to ridiculously high levels. Does anybody think this is a fault with my set or is it normal?

11. Dwarfchucker

Dwarfchucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest seeing your local optometrist first before spending too much money on cable. :)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ruby, I reckon you eed someone to set this up for you, I don't think it's faulty. Likely it's a combination of smaller factors. But as the man says, don't blow the family silver on cables! Make sure they are at least part of the problem 1st, and even then no need to go over the top. I usually suggest QED squart as a good level, anything like that is suitable. £25 for a scart, or thereabouts.

13. StuJ

StuJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I've just bought a Viera 42 and have noticed that anything white ie lights etc within a scene seem to leave a flashy yellow afterimage when I move my eyes across the screen, that can't be right can it??? It's hard to explain really , also my Sky signal which used to be fine is now as crappy as hell??? everything seems to be of a lower resolution than it used to be , could this be due to my scart cables ??? I wouldn't say they top of the range but I'm afraid to splash out on £100 cables and still have the same problems, any help would be grateful.

14. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Give it a couple of weeks to settle down - make sure you turn it out of Dynamic mode and reduce all of the levels to be low 50% to begin with.

A decent set of cables will help - I went from a freebie scart to a £25 Ixos scart and it made a huge difference.

15. StuJ

StuJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris.

I take it the problem I have with my whites is a common thing then??? How long do these panels take settle in ????

16. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I left mine running for the first week with it on zoom 2 to make sure there were no logos etc on the screen - mine's 2.5 months old and is still getting better.

I really noticed the white's to begin with, once I'd changed my scart it improved dramatically, and now after lots of hours clocked up it looks great. (better than my Sony CRT)

17. StuJ

StuJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris

That makes me feel a lot better, do you think it's a scart prob with my Sky resolution?? some channels look fine others very blotchy???

18. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    It's Sky's fault... they don't broadcast as much data on some channels... look at something like Sky News, and the picture is like watching a DVD (I find) compared to one of the more unknown channels which often look pretty poor. It's more noticeable on a bigger screen too, if you look at your CRT closely (as almost no-one does) you'll see many of the same things - just less noticeable.

But a decent scart (with the output set to RGB on the Sky box) will make things as good as possible in my opinion and experience with this screen.

Ans if you have a DVD player with component output, make sure that's the way you connect from that - the picture on mine through component is nothing short of stunning.