Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic RA82 or Pioneer 656A?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BeadleMachine, Mar 25, 2003.

1. BeadleMachine

BeadleMachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

am trying to decide which DVD player to buy and could use some advice:

Currently I have a pioneer dv550 hooked up to a Panasonic TX281 widescreen TV.
    Like many other people here, i experience the dreaded flicker problem when watching R1 DVD's through RGB scart. These are connected to my Pioneer VSX 811 receiver for Surround sound.

Having tried changing the TV DVCO settings through the service menu I have decided to look for another player. I think i have 3 options open to me:

1) Buy and S-Video lead to replace my RGB scart cable?

what are people's experiences with S-video compared to RGB?

2) Buy the Panasonic Ra82

available for £170 from techtronics, plays DVD-A and has a 54-bit Video converter.

Doesn't play SACD

3) Get the Pioneer DV656A

plays EVERYTHING, £300

BUT

??? Will I still get the dreaded flicker problem on my Panasonic TV??? :rolleyes: :confused:

Any sugestions / advice / previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BeadleMachine

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one thing about the Panny one is that it also plays -RAM discs so if you were thinking of getting a dvdr at some point in the near future it would be useful

3. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Panasonic TX28 hooked up to the DV656A via a Monster Scart .....result is superb, no flicker, just crystal clear pics.

Hope this helps,

Graham

My Kit : Panasonic TX28PL1, Denon 3802, Arcam CD72T, Pioneer DV656A, X-Box, Panasonic Digibox, Project Debut II Turntable,Monitor Audio Silver 6i(x2), Monitor Audio Silver SLCR, Monitor Audio Silver Sfx(x2), Mission 7C1(Rear Centre)Van Den Huul, Ixos, Chord Interconnects, Monster Scarts, QED Silver Ann Bi Wire, Pronto

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My panasonic TV also had NTSC flicker- no flicker in PAL though.

I had various NTSC sources- S-video from my R1 DVD player, and RGB SCART from my PSX, NTSC US games- everything with NTSC flickered.

A couple of guys on this forum mentioned the Panny's do flicker with NTSC material.

It's not the DVD player at fault.

Replaced the TV with a Toshiba, no flicker.

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    No flicker with my RA82 and TX32PF10 using RGB.........

Well happy with the 82, apart from it shows fingerprints badly!