1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic -R -RW puzzle

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have read two posts in the last week or so from contributors on another forum that state the Panasonic E30 E50 family of DVDR's will happily read -RW media. Indeed a well known computer manufacturer has emailed me with similar information. This is news to me, or am I the one that has got it wrong. My user manual for my E30 does not confirm this to be the case??

:confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    DVD-RWs should read and playback in most Panny models (provided they have been recorded in 'Video Mode'). They play in my HS2 and E50. Not all units use the same drives so it is probably not listed in the manual for this reason - that and the 'politics' that, from Panasonic's perspective, it is a competitors format.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    How do you get video mode. Is that just means the disc has to be recorded on another DVD recorder?

I have a DVD- writer. I can convert RAM to either - or +. Does it mean I can use a DVD-RW as long as it has the audio and video_ts directories.?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No you can record in 'Video' mode using a PC DVD burning package. 'Video Mode' means the files are burnt as if the disk was a DVD-R, i.e. the VOB files are in the Video_TS folder etc. Once you've done this and finalised the disk it should play OK.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Ok thanks, I use nero and the DVD Video mode.