1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jasonlgriffin, May 2, 2002.

1. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a NV-DS15B camcorder just under 2 years ago (also with an extended warranty to 5yrs).

I have a general question on hooking it up to a (new) TV. To get full colour video I need to connect the AV cable (L+R and Video) and S-Video cable to the TV. BUT why do I need to connect the Video lead when surely S-Video would be enough?

If I leave the Video lead unconnected then I only get a B&W picture - surely this means that only Luminance is being carried over the S-Video cable.

I get a full colour picture if I don't connect the S-Video lead - and this S-Video lead seems to make no difference. I'm convinced I'm watching composite video as opposed to S-Video.

What is going on?

As an aside on this model, mine emits a high pitched noise when it is first turned on for a while which seems to disappear when it has warmed up. This is probably the internal PSU, but is this normal (it's always done this). Also the zoom motor is very audible on the recording!!

Anyone else suffer from these?

I previously had the DS11B model but took it back to swap it for the DS15 because of the extra features. The DS11 didn't have these 2 problems!

2. Spike88

Spike88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may need to change the settings on your tv using the menu function so that it knows that the av socket with the svideo connection is inputing svideo.

I hope this helps.

3. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spike88

Thanks for your reply - I think you may have hit the nail on the head! There is an option to switch between AV and S-Video on my TV and it is currently set to AV. This means I am probably viewing it in Composite as opposed to S-Video. I thought it was obvious I wanted S-Video seeing as I was connecting to the S-Video socket! However there is also the composite input as well so I guess you have to tell the TV which one to use.

Prior to your reply, I tried again last night and found that when I connect the S-Video lead as well as the Video lead the picture gets brighter. If I disconnect the Video lead the picture becomes B&W. So from this I deduce that the TV takes the Luminance signal from the S-Video lead even when AV (composite) is selected (adds to luma when composite also connected and produces B&W when composite not connected) whereas the Chrominance is ignored.

I will try setting the TV to S-Video tonight, but I'm now fairly confident this will sort it out.

Thanks again.

4. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep that fixed it. Must say I am slightly disappointed that the quality isn't noticeably better over composite though.