1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Q Yes or no??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Jimmathie, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Jimmathie

Jimmathie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Please could you help me?

I live in the UK and was thinking of buying a Panasonic Q from Lik-Sang. The trouble is that as yet it doesn’t play UK games!! So I am going to wait a bit longer to see if they come up with a mod to fix this. My problem really is is that if I was to buy one I would have a DVD player and a Gamecube rolled into one. The advantage of this is that the DVD part has Macrovision switched off which is one of the main attractions. In your opinion would it be wise to wait and buy a Panasonic Q (I am scared that if I but it one day the Gamecube part of the unit will be old when another generation of consoles gets released and I am still using the DVD part of it?) or would you buy a Gamecube and then a seperate DVD player? Also, do you know if it is possible to buy a DVD player with the Macrovision switched off as this was a big advantage to the Q?

Sorry to go on but I would just like some advice!

Cheers,

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't get one. Get a Jap/US modded cube and something like a Toshiba 220 DVD instead.

A friend of mine had a Q, and while it was very shinyand nice, it had persistent interference problems on the video outputs from the power supply (on both composite and s-vid). While this was probably only one of a bad batch, it is a massive hassle to send it back to Hong Kong.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have to agree with that. With cubes at £129 (£119 in Gamestation) and Tosh's so cheap you can get both for under £300.

Q's look nice but theres really no point!

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As much as I love the Panny Q, common sense tells me not to buy one. IMO You should go for an import Gamecube and buy the games off the net (cheaper games plus all games will run in full speed, full screen and you will get the games earlier...) but thats up to you. The Tosh SD220E is going for silly money really and is well worth the cash. Many are multi-region already and I'm sure the macrovision is turned off. As for anything Audio Visual, its best to buy seperates ^_^

5. Jimmathie

Jimmathie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I am currently living and working in France and without the people on this forum I would be totally stuck. It looks as though I am going for a seperate DVD player possibly a sony DAV-S800? Not sure though.

Thanks.

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would go for the new DAVS 550/505 (whatever it is) rather than the 800, you pay rather a lot for the shiny stands with the 800...