panasonic pz700 v panasonic pz 70

charlie55

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what the main difference in picture quality is,one being full hd and the other not.
I an looking to buy one of these 2 and would like to get it right first time.
I suppose i really want to know if full hd is worth the extra. Thanks

Their both full HD panels PZ70 is just a scaled down cheaper version , less inputs etc.

Their both full HD panels PZ70 is just a scaled down cheaper version , less inputs etc.

i've heard that the PZ70's can handle 24fps which PZ700's cannot, can anybody confirm??? If their ability to handle it is the same im going to go for the 700 but if not then it might be the 70.

First post!

I have been using the search button all day...... google, yahoo, but this forum is amazing.
As regards your question, I found this post from this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615952

I don't know if it's been reported elsewere on the forums but dispite Panasonic UK saying the PZ70 has no 24fps compatibility it appears that it does!!
I've just tested the set with the new Pioneer LX70 blu-ray player (which can switch resolutions via a switch on the handset) it worked perfectly at 24fps . I also tried the same player in both 42" and 50" PZ700 models and it didn't work at 24fps.

So a bit of a bonus then and BTW the picture was stunning.

Regards.....

That should help.

I am also confused as to what is the better choice.
I was looking at the Pioneer Kuro series, but it's just not worth the money in my opinion.
I am now trying to decide between the PZ70 and PZ700........ and doing as much research as possible.

I have a VSX-AX2AS-s Pioneer amplifier and intend running my DVD, PS3, Cable etc through that and basically using the plasma screen as a monitor.
I obviously still need to use the HDMI, RGB, S-video etc for connections between the amp and plasma until I gradually upgrade everything to HDMI or whatever.

So with that in mind, would the general conclusion lean towards the PZ70?

Whilst I believe they both have the G10 screen, I heard a rumour that the PZ70 does NOT have the "V-Real 2" screen technology as opposed to the PZ700 which definitely does.

Does anyone have the definitive on this?

There's a huge thread on the PZ70 already, and two semi-big ones too. Search around before starting a new thread. There's a page 2 of the forum, and even a 3! And I hear rumors of a Search tool . . . :rotfl:

Just to clear up misinfo: PZ70 does handle 1080/24p, PZ700 does not; both have V-Real2 Pro; contrast is specced higher on the PZ70 and some say it's true, other say not; sound features and inputs are better on the PZ700, and some say build quality is higher too. Other than that, no differences, so calling the PZ70 a "scaled down" PZ700 is a bit misleading. ;)

CHFels

i spoke to a Panasonic rep today and he reckons that while the pany will accept a 24p signal, it only converts it to 1080p60 (or 1080p50 cant remember which).

If thats the case its not doing 1080p24 as it should, ie in multiples of 24.

Not saying this is accurate, but he said we will not see proper 24p until the next range of panys. so an internal conversion is done. I guess thats why they did not first state 24p in the spec sheet

I've just bought a PZ700 for £1400, and I was under the impression that the main difference with the PZ70 was that the PZ700 had sidemounted speakers. Argh! (note to self: must research more thoroughly in future)

i used to have the pan 42px60 an ok screen i thought at the time i have just upgraded to the 42pz70 and i have to say the screen as blown me away it's like from a different dimension compared to my old one.
The freeview pic quality is in a different league and dvd's look amazing all in all i can reccomend this set on this basis.
My manual also says the set accepts 1080p24 but have yet to try this is the case (waiting for my ps3) without judder but many have now stated it looks fine through the ps3,I am really pleased with it and would reccomend it to anyone looking for a good screen at a good price.

i used to have the pan 42px60 an ok screen i thought at the time i have just upgraded to the 42pz70 and i have to say the screen as blown me away it's like from a different dimension compared to my old one.
The freeview pic quality is in a different league and dvd's look amazing all in all i can reccomend this set on this basis.
My manual also says the set accepts 1080p24 but have yet to try this is the case (waiting for my ps3) without judder but many have now stated it looks fine through the ps3,I am really pleased with it and would reccomend it to anyone looking for a good screen at a good price.

Well done mate. Good choice. Have you noticed that the knockers are all none owners and usually just been to their local shop for a look. I personally think that this TV is better than the pioneers and this is whats upsetting them. One of the latest mags has just reviewed this set and apparantly is raving about it being so good.

Once again, well done on your purchase.:smashin:

i used to have the pan 42px60 an ok screen i thought at the time i have just upgraded to the 42pz70 and i have to say the screen as blown me away.

Another vote for the PZ70. I also moved from a TH42PX60 about a fortnight ago,
and have nothing but praise for the PZ70.

If anyone is tempted, it really is a worthwhile purchase.

I've just bought a PZ700 for £1400

Can you possibly share the name of the retail establishment? £1850 is the lowest I have seen (for the 50").

This thread has just saved me 300 notes! Was about to buy a PZ700, but it appears the PZ70 is just as good. Just downloading the manual to check it has all the connections I need. Anyone know the difference between the B and E suffixes that different retailers append to the product number?

Im particularly interested in the SD quality of these two, any info on this???

I've got a pz700 hooked up to a sky + box and the quality is on a level with my loewe crt set,play upscaled dvd's through it and it takes it to another level entirely.
My father has a px70 and what i will say is that there's a marked difference in the audio quality on the sets but you need to justify to yourself if its worth the extra money.In my case it was but if you have a seperate sound system it may not be so important.

I've got a pz700 hooked up to a sky + box and the quality is on a level with my loewe crt set,play upscaled dvd's through it and it takes it to another level entirely.
My father has a px70 and what i will say is that there's a marked difference in the audio quality on the sets but you need to justify to yourself if its worth the extra money.In my case it was but if you have a seperate sound system it may not be so important.

Thanks Spartans, but I was actually after a comparison between the PZ70 and PZ700.

Ok I've just been down to ASK on TCR and have seen the PZ70 and PZ700 side by side. PZ700 definately had the clearer more detailed picture. The PZ70 looked a bit brighter but did not present the detail that was visible on the PZ700 (something to do with the processor I was told). I think I've finally made my decision!

Ok I've just been down to ASK on TCR and have seen the PZ70 and PZ700 side by side. PZ700 definately had the clearer more detailed picture. The PZ70 looked a bit brighter but did not present the detail that was visible on the PZ700 (something to do with the processor I was told). I think I've finally made my decision!

Scorrado,

I hope you haven't gone already. I'm a new(ish) member here but I've been reading almost every active post for the past 6 weeks. The concensus is that the PQ on these machines is the same. The differences are mostly cosmetic including the speaker system which has been described below. I have also read somewhere about the shop you describe (possibly) having the PZ700 set up better than the PZ70 - I wonder whay they might do that!? The majority on these forums have opted for a PZ70 because it will take a 1080/24p feed from a PS3 (or similar) and used a home cinema system or similar to compensate for the poorer audio. I don't want to sway you either way but I recommend getting a second opinion on the 2 x machines side-by-side. If you're in London try JL on Oxford Street.

Good Luck,

AliG

Scorrado,

I hope you haven't gone already. I'm a new(ish) member here but I've been reading almost every active post for the past 6 weeks. The concensus is that the PQ on these machines is the same. The differences are mostly cosmetic including the speaker system which has been described below. I have also read somewhere about the shop you describe (possibly) having the PZ700 set up better than the PZ70 - I wonder whay they might do that!? The majority on these forums have opted for a PZ70 because it will take a 1080/24p feed from a PS3 (or similar) and used a home cinema system or similar to compensate for the poorer audio. I don't want to sway you either way but I recommend getting a second opinion on the 2 x machines side-by-side. If you're in London try JL on Oxford Street.

Good Luck,

AliG

Hi, Thanks AliG still here! Cheeky beggers! I did mention the 24fps issue but didnt get a knowledgable reply. I was just going by the PQ on the sets as sound quality is not too much of an issue (AV reciever) I was really suprised at the difference though. Guess it looks like a trip to JL is in order then! Do they have both sets side by side there?

I was also in ASK yesterday, they don't even have remotes available to let you play around with the screens which I wanted to do because I also noticed the difference. I have seen PZ70's and PZ700's next to each other at other locations and there has been no difference, I am positive they are identical panels and the processing is the same too, wouldn't be suprised if they played with the pq on the PZ70 to make it look worse than the Pz700 on purpose, after all its a £300/£400 difference in revenue for them if not!

On an alternative note why do so many places not even use hdmi cables or have the ability to show you a set to the best of its abilities!

Hi, Thanks AliG still here! Cheeky beggers! I did mention the 24fps issue but didnt get a knowledgable reply. I was just going by the PQ on the sets as sound quality is not too much of an issue (AV reciever) I was really suprised at the difference though. Guess it looks like a trip to JL is in order then! Do they have both sets side by side there?

Scorrado,

I have been told the Oxford St JL has most sets available and will allow you to adjust the settings. The ASK buffonery really annoys.

Good Luck,

AliG

Scorrado,

I have been told the Oxford St JL has most sets available and will allow you to adjust the settings. The ASK buffonery really annoys.

Good Luck,

AliG

Went down to Oxford St JL yesterday after work but shouldn't have bothered. They had both the 50PZ70 and 50PZ700 on display but at opposite ends of the display area! To compound this they were showing different feeds and I was told that this could not be changed, in addition I was told I could not even listen to the sound from the TV's as they were hooked up to only output from the surround sound they were connected to!
So all a bit of a waste of time really! :rolleyes:
On the ASK note when I asked if I could make a change to the display settings I was told all sets are left on default settings to allow customers to make a true comparison!!!!! It shouldnt be this difficult :mad:

I want to buy one of these tomorrow but only if the SD is good or maybe its better on one more than the other if not good what should i buy lol

Want 1080p 50" and great with SD:clap:

Is this too much to ask :lease:

Many Thanks

Techz

It's a LOT to ask . . . but with either one, you get it. Forget about the differences, when it comes to freeview picture quality the two sets are identical - at least that is my belief, backed up by a Panasonic store chap who did a side-by-side (of the 42" models) on freeview and declared them identical. Save the money and get the PZ70 unless you need the extra connectivity or better sound (& sound options) of the 700

CHFels

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom