panasonic px70 green line smack down the middle

Hi what do people think is best to do. getthis repaired or get replacement on house insurance?

I really dont want to be without a tv for over a month.

cool..would that modification also be used when Panasonic designed the PX80 panel...or did they start from scratch and develope a brand new PX70 panel.

I would assume they just modified the physical panel mounts and fitted the latest panels that were coming out of the plant, which by that time the factory would be producing PX80 ready for there launch within the next month.

so It very probable that the PX70BA...is a PX80 but with differant mounts. This would make it a PX80 hybrid....

Just seems to make buisness sense

No, the PX70BA uses the same panel as the PX70B but with modified driver IC's.

that will need a new screen, very common fault on the px70s not cheap if its not under warrenty either!

we have changed hundreds of them!

Hey all, first post and unfortunately its a "my 42PX70 has developed a vertical line" sort of post :mad:

My unit is nearly 2 years old and is out of warranty. Its had general family usage (tv/dvd/games machines etc). Having read through the numerous threads, I've e-mailed Panasonic and so await their response to my "its out of warranty but surely 2 years does not represent a reasonable life span for a £1000+ TV under the sale of goods act" etc message.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up on a couple of other people's posts.

Carter - as per the quote above, you sound like a technician - is this a known and recognised fault by Panasonic? And if so, is there anywhere on the net etc where I could find reference to it to quote to Panasonic rather than anecdotal references to forums showing numerous people having this issues?

AndyT - how did you get on with sorting your issue?

Cheers

Rich

Hey all, first post and unfortunately its a "my 42PX70 has developed a vertical line" sort of post :mad:

My unit is nearly 2 years old and is out of warranty. Its had general family usage (tv/dvd/games machines etc). Having read through the numerous threads, I've e-mailed Panasonic and so await their response to my "its out of warranty but surely 2 years does not represent a reasonable life span for a £1000+ TV under the sale of goods act" etc message.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up on a couple of other people's posts.

Carter - as per the quote above, you sound like a technician - is this a known and recognised fault by Panasonic? And if so, is there anywhere on the net etc where I could find reference to it to quote to Panasonic rather than anecdotal references to forums showing numerous people having this issues?

AndyT - how did you get on with sorting your issue?

Cheers

Rich

The fault you describe is a known weakness on the PX70B (the PX70BA fixed this) and Panasonic should be pretty helpful. I would say however, that at this point you should appeal to Panasonic's better nature rather than threatening them with the Sale of Goods Act which as i assume you know only applies to the retailer and not the manufacturer? Just out of interest, have you contacted the retailer? Legally, they are the ones who should be taking care of this for you, regardless of the tv being 'out of guarantee'.

I have contacted panasonic who were very helpful, said they would cover the cost of the panel but i had to cover the cost of the labour from one of the approved repair centres.

I will also contact Dixons and see what they say, has anyone else done this with any joy?

Im thinking of selling mine. What are they worth repaired?

I might even sell it how it is as now, as i cant wait 6 weeks without a tv. Anyone intrested getting repaired themselves for a cheap plasma.

Louis

I have contacted panasonic who were very helpful, said they would cover the cost of the panel but i had to cover the cost of the labour from one of the approved repair centres.

I will also contact Dixons and see what they say, has anyone else done this with any joy?

Im thinking of selling mine. What are they worth repaired?

I might even sell it how it is as now, as i cant wait 6 weeks without a tv. Anyone intrested getting repaired themselves for a cheap plasma.

Louis

Panasonic will only replace the faulty panel free of charge for the original owner (with the original receipt). In its current state, you would have to pay someone to take it away.

Fair enough any idea if i get it repaired what it will be worth?

I have been reading this thread with interest, I am happy to report that panasonic have supplied a new panel after it devoloped the dreaded green line. Sinclare Youngs who operate in the south east had to fight my corner after panasonic said they would only contribute 50% as I had 10,000 hours use on a 2.5 year old plasma. In the end I had to pay for initial report and labour to fit, it came in at around £220.00 all in. I got it back today and the picture looks better than ever.

Intresting,
Glenfield Electrical are sorting mine at present. they have quoted £165 for labour, so hoping Panasonic will replace mine for free seeing as its not done that many hours and is 18 months old.

So what was the full cost of the panel? can you breakdown your costings by anychance?

Anyone had any joy going back to the retailer?

Intresting,
Glenfield Electrical are sorting mine at present. they have quoted £165 for labour, so hoping Panasonic will replace mine for free seeing as its not done that many hours and is 18 months old.

So what was the full cost of the panel? can you breakdown your costings by anychance?

From memory, the 37PX70 panel is just over £450 + VAT to an approved service agent.

if you want to sell it as it is put it on ebay and you will get around £100 for it.

so are these breaking down at a certain age or is it just random,as ive had my 50px70 for 15 months now and stil going strong,on about 10 hours a day :eek:

Seems only a certain batch have had a problem, not that many to be fair.
Also never heard a 50 have a problem only 42 and 37 inch.

So dont worry to much:smashin:

Intresting,

latest update. panasonic have agreed to rplace and cover labour charges. So 19month old tv, out of warrenty and getting repaired for free.

Top one Panasonic thank you:smashin:

This has just happened to my 2 year old 50px70. Along with intermittent red dashes/speckles, and a one off finale of lines, blocks and flashes dancing all over the screen!

The engineer saw the green line and said "new panel". Apparently it will be back in a week. Covered by JL guarantee. :clap:

He said the new panel costs about £800.

A photo of the red speckles is here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/plasma-televisions/59321d1185716528-panasonic-th50px70b-owners-thread-redspeckles.jpg

Last edited:
Seems only a certain batch have had a problem, not that many to be fair.
Also never heard a 50 have a problem only 42 and 37 inch.

My 50" has just had it !

This has just happened to my 2 year old 50px70. Along with intermittent red dashes/speckles, and a one off finale of lines, blocks and flashes dancing all over the screen!

The engineer saw the green line and said "new panel". Apparently it will be back in a week. Covered by JL guarantee. :clap:

He said the new panel costs about £800.

A photo of the red speckles is here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/plasma-televisions/59321d1185716528-panasonic-th50px70b-owners-thread-redspeckles.jpg

suprised JL just didnt give you a new tv if thats how much it costs to fix it

suprised JL just didnt give you a new tv if thats how much it costs to fix it

Seems mad but the engineer said they're only replacing the panel because it's ubder warranty. I suspect Panasonic must be supplying the panels free seeing as this is an inherent fault. The repair is still cheaper than a set I guess. I will call JL about this as it does seem odd.
I'll be pleased if the glass is a newer gen though.

Oh dear, a green line has just appeared on my two and a bit year old 42PX70B. I did purchase it with a 5 year warranty but from Empire Direct...

I have called Panasonic and they said they would offer some cost assistance if I have my local service centre draw up a repair quote. I gave them a call and they want £25 for collection/delivery, £57.50 for diagnosis and £25 for potential disposal (refundable). This seems rather alot to say, "Yep it needs a new panel".

As I originally purchased on my credit card do I have the option of pursuing this through them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom