Question Panasonic PWT 550 and BWT 735 comparison

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richard Tonkin, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Richard Tonkin

Richard Tonkin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Panasonic BWT 735 which has Blu-ray player/recorder and HDD, and I find it very good. However, it has a few niggles and wondered if anyone knows whether they have been fixed in the PWT 550 which I am thinking of getting.

1. When I do two recordings which start over, say 20 minutes apart, in the earlier recording there will be a slight pause (for a second or so) about 15 minutes before the start of the second recoding. Panasonic say this must be something to do with my aerial system but I can reproduce it at will so I don't agree. However, I put up with it.

2. If I am watching something on the internet and a recording starts, the internet programme stops.

3. When the unit is connected to the internet either via a wire or wireless, it will occasionally miss a recording. When no internet is connected it virtually never misses a recording unless the signal reception becomes poor.

Richard

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    In the case of 1), I'm afraid I agree with Panasonic. It will be a reception problem almost certainly caused by an HDMI mode change causing interference on your aerial system - either because your HDMI lead leaks too much or your aerial system is inadequately screened.
    That you can reproduce it, more confirms than precludes it.

2. - I think the 550 will be the same - but I will try to confirm.

3. That suggests you have a less than reliable aerial signal.

Also, in case you were not aware of it, the PWT550 contains a PLAYER only disk drive.
    It is not recordable like the '735.

3. Richard Tonkin

Richard Tonkin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavtech, thanks for that information.

Regarding your reply to point 1, I will contact the man who installed my current aerial system, he is usually very switched on. I've tried using different HDMI cables but to no avail.

I realise that the PWT550 has no DVD recording facilities but at the moment there is about a £190 difference (e.g. in John Lewis) between the PWT550 and the 735 successor which I believe is the BWT 850. I record DVDs on the 735 for my grand-children (3 of whom live with me, with their parents - thankfully) and these DVDs are played on a Sony DVD recorder/player which is so old it doesn't even have a digital tuner but it still works. It was originally bought to record DVDs from a Humax 9200T which died (clunky method but possible with care).

I selfishly treated myself to the 735 and let my grand-children use the Humax. When it died I bought a Humax T2000, mainly for their use, which was quite acceptable until YouView 'updated' the software about the beginning of March this year. You may know about the furore this has caused, mainly due to the replacement of lists by tiles. I'm thinking about replacing the T2000 and the old Sony DVD player with the PWT550 just to tidy things up a bit - and maybe I want another toy to play with. The T2000 will be hibernated until YouView improves the interface.

As regards point 3 and poor reception, the peculiar reason for this is that our main signal comes from Wenvoe (BBC Wales) and although we only have one aerial it is often possible to get a good signal from Mendip (BBC West). If I record a single programme (ie not a series) I select the non-HD version. However, if it is a series then I have to remember to select the HD version. If I don't do this then the 735 will occasionally, for some weird reason, set the next one in the series to record from Mendip if the reception is good on the day it sets it but when the programme is transmitted the reception from Mendip has probably deteriorated and the recording may not complete. I can get BBC Wales non-HD and HD but no HD from Mendip. I know I could remove the Mendip channels but occasionally I like to watch BBC West.

I would certainly be grateful if you could find out whether the 'features' on the 735 have been inadvertently carried over to the 550.

Richard

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    Regarding number 2 in your first post - 'When watching something from the internet...' can you clarify if you are watching an internet source using your TV's internet players ( and which TV is it?) or watching an internet source via the '735?

If it is the from the '735 I have not been able to determine definitively if the 550 is the same ( but they use the same basic engines so I would expect behaviour to be much the same)

The functional limitations for the 550 when recording are given as follows:

If a timer recording reaches its start time when all tuners are being used for recording, the recording (OTR) of one of the programmes terminates.
    • Digital teletext will not be recorded.
    • Following contents or media cannot be played back while recording.
    - video file
    - photo
    - USB HDD (For data files,) and USB memory
    • Copying cannot be performed while recording.
    • When “Automatic Standby after OTR” is set to “On”. this unit is turned to standby mode if this unit is not operated for approximately 5 minutes after completing “Automatic Stop” or “Recording Time”

Regarding receiving from two transmitters, I would urge you to ensure that the unit is either tuned to one or the other for all multiplexes.
    Failed recordings are commonly caused by EPG conflicts which arise from the problems of receiving from two different transmitters.

5. Richard Tonkin

Richard Tonkin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavtech,

To clarify "When watching something from the internet..", this was using the 735. My TV is a Sony Bravia 32 inch which I bought about 2008, it has no internet capability. I would usually only use the 735 for watching YouTube and then only connect to the net wirelessly for that purpose. I don't use it for catch-up TV as I prefer to record on the HDD so normally it is not connected to the internet. In addition, and I should have mentioned this before, our internet speed is really too slow - it seldom reaches 2 mbps and is usually less. I don't know if this could cause problems in addition to the usual 'loading' icon.

I'll email Panasonic and ask them if the 'features' I encountered on the 735 are also on the 550. I suspect you're right in thinking that they are.

The Humax T2000 has no problem when watching catch-up TV and starting a recording, it just displays a message saying that a recording has started. Having said that, however, I have been told by one of my grand-daughters that it sometimes misses recordings but I haven't yet found out why.

As regards receiving from two transmitters, I will get rid of all the Mendip-tuned ones as you advised.

Richard