Panasonic PWD8 inputs at the back - best set up??

D

darrenboy

How would you suggest setting up my new PWD8. It's come today but there is no scart input, only S-video. Should i stick to S-video or invest in a scart board or a component board? I'm currently running my NTL digital box into my DVD player with a scart lead, then my DVD to my plasma with s-video

The s-video lead is only a cheap crappy thing so the picture is naff at the moment, but still waiting for some recomeded leads over in the cables forum before investing my money?

regards

LFCRules

Hi,

I would guess the problem with your picture is that your NTL does not output S-Video. My Samsung box, and the previous Pace one only output composite or RGB over scart. So unless your DVD player converts RGB or composite to s-video, you NTL picture will be very bad, if not unwatchable.

What's your DVD player? This may help in advice as to what to plug what into what.

Simple answer without knowing this is to get a SCART board. Then run NTL into SCART. Assuming your DVD player can output a component signal, then get a VGA-component breakout cable to connect it to the VGA input.

Cheers

Andy

D

darrenboy

The DVD player is a Philips DVDR 70. You're right about the NTL box, there's no s-video on either of my boxes (latest samsung & old pace boxes)

Alos, i'm totally a beginner with all this, whats a VGA input??

thanks

LFCRules

The VGA input on the PWD8 is the PC-type connection. It's labelled on the back as PC-IN. The breakout cables I was on about are like the ones here. You can buy them at lots of different prices and places, they are pretty standard cables now, just look for 3 cables at one end, and the VGA socket on the other.

Checking the limited DVDR70 specs I could find, it doesn't have component output does it, i.e. three cable output, normally labelled YUV in reg/green/blue colours? If not, you would be best off connecting NTL into the DVDR, then SCART output to a new SCART board on the PWD8.

Others may have other options. Suggest you get them before taking up my ideas ;)

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
The VGA input on the PWD8 is the PC-type connection. It's labelled on the back as PC-IN. The breakout cables I was on about are like the ones here. You can buy them at lots of different prices and places, they are pretty standard cables now, just look for 3 cables at one end, and the VGA socket on the other.

Checking the limited DVDR70 specs I could find, it doesn't have component output does it, i.e. three cable output, normally labelled YUV in reg/green/blue colours? If not, you would be best off connecting NTL into the DVDR, then SCART output to a new SCART board on the PWD8.

Others may have other options. Suggest you get them before taking up my ideas ;)

thanks for the help mate. isn't there any other way to do it using what i have without having to shell out for a scart board. how much are the scart boards and why didn't one come with the plasmas? i'd have thought one would have done to get you set up from start!

also, i have a PS2 and will want to set that up in the not too distant future, what cable will i need for that and will i need a component board?

anyone else have any suggestions to throw into the equation?

cheers

LFCRules

Something else that may help getting the full picture. What are you doing for sound? Have you got a surround sound system or seperate amplifier and speakers? Has this got any video inputs and outputs that could act as a hub for the picture? Also, can you confirm the DVDR70 does not have any component outputs?

Sorry mate, lots of questions, but ones that'll help the more knowledgable ones answer your queries :smashin:

As for no scart board, as the PWD8 is a commercial panel, SCART is not normally used when they are bought for companies, so no scart board is supplied. For us home users of the PWD8, a little more thought is required to get it all plugged in :rolleyes: But that's what we are here to help out with :D

Cheers

Andy

D

darrenboy

Yes mate, i can confirm there is no component outputs on the DVDR

I'm using a kenwood amp at the moment until i get my Denon AVR-3805 reciever in the next few weeks. On the back of the amp, there is vide in/outs as follows

VIDEO 1: PLAY IN/RECORD OUT
VIDEO 2: PLAY IN/MONITOR OUT

cheers

LFCRules

Ah, with the 3805, you may have some more options there others can help with. And here's a PDF of details of the 3805 to help out :)

And just to give you a small idea of the trouble you can get into, here's the cables with my PWD8, NTL, DVD, XBOX 360, and projector all connected up, using the amp as a hub, plus other boxes:

:rotfl:

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
Ah, with the 3805, you may have some more options there others can help with. And here's a PDF of details of the 3805 to help out :)

And just to give you a small idea of the trouble you can get into, here's the cables with my PWD8, NTL, DVD, XBOX 360, and projector all connected up, using the amp as a hub, plus other boxes:

:rotfl:

it's gonna be a good few week away yet before i buy the denon. I've just shelled out for a week in barbados so i'm brassic now for a few week. so if you were me, would you buy the scart board in the mean time?

LFCRules

If you can stretch to it, I'd say it would be the easiest option. The only stumbling block is yet another question :) Does the DVDR70 pass through and RGB signal from it's scart input to it's scart output. I would presume yes, although I can't find any details spec's on the web. If yes, the SCART board would get you up and running quickly with a very good picture on the PWD8.

Oh yeah, and as for the PS2, go for simple composite (single yellow cable) into the PWD8 for now would be easiest, unless the DVDR70 has 2 scart input sockets, in which you could use one of them.

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
Does the DVDR70 pass through and RGB signal from it's scart input to it's scart output.

you've lost me there mate?

looks like i'll be buying a scart board then, how much should i be looking to pay?

I do have another DVD player that does have component outputs on the back, i could swap them as the DVDR has had better days. I'll be upgrading my DVD player in the future but one step at a time atm. Do you think a good quality s-video cable will be any good or should i use the pioneer DVD player from upstairs and use the breakout cables??

cheers

LFCRules

Well ideally you want a solution that means you don't have plug any cables in and out to switch around what you want to see. So I would guess that the SCART board would be best with DVDR70 being used as a hub for NTL and DVD pictures.

You could contact the dealer you got the PWD8 from for advice, or some of the retailers on these scart boards. Specifically the Plasma forums, such as MAW, Joe, Liam, etc... Or try av-sales.co.uk for prices.

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
Well ideally you want a solution that means you don't have plug any cables in and out to switch around what you want to see. So I would guess that the SCART board would be best with DVDR70 being used as a hub for NTL and DVD pictures.

You could contact the dealer you got the PWD8 from for advice, or some of the retailers on these scart boards. Specifically the Plasma forums, such as MAW, Joe, Liam, etc... Or try av-sales.co.uk for prices.

Right, so i should link the NTL to the DVD with scart, then the DVD to the plasma with scart

I have 2 scart sockets on the back of the DVDR 70, so can do this!

cheers

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
Got it in one mate :smashin:

Thanks for all your help fella :smashin:

No doubt i'll be back soon requesting more help.

Just quickly, can you recomend some mid priced scart cables (possibly ones i can find on ebay) as i've had no luck with a response in the cables forum?

cheers

LFCRules

What's mid-priced to you may not be to others :D

Suggest you have a butchers through some of the links in the AVLinks section. You'll find a huge price range in some of the suppliers there. TVCABLES, HiFiBitz, HIFICables, Keene etc... will be able to help out.

Off to bed now, on early shift :eek:

Others tomorrow should be able to confirm my suggestions

D

darrenboy

LFCRules said:
What's mid-priced to you may not be to others :D

Suggest you have a butchers through some of the links in the AVLinks section. You'll find a huge price range in some of the suppliers there. TVCABLES, HiFiBitz, HIFICables, Keene etc... will be able to help out.

Off to bed now, on early shift :eek:

Others tomorrow should be able to confirm my suggestions

Just bought a pair of QED qunex for £40 off ebay, should do the trick

good night :boring:

D

darrenboy

UPDATE:

The NTL picture is bad quality when i run the NTL to the DVD scart socket and to the scart board. Why is this and is there a better way of wiring the DVD player to the Panel?

Are s-video leads any good for wiring the DVD player to the panel or should i still use scart?

apart from the fact i keep having to change the scart cables around, the picture has got better over the month. Absolutely excellent panel and well recomended.

I still haven't got to buying the reciever yet either, saving for a 3806 instead now

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom