Panasonic PWD8 Boards

sunsetoneday

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been loitering here for a while and gotten great info from the board. Having deceided on a screen I'm just left with one problem.

My only quandry at the moment is I'm unable to understand, and fathom, what terminal boards I'd need to buy together with a PWD8. I've read as much as I could but have to admit I'm left confused. Could some kind soul let me know what boards I'd need (am using the AV Sales website to work out my order).

Equipment to connect to the PWD8 is:

DVD Player
DVD Recorder
Sky+
One or two games consoles
AV Amp

At a later date I may want to connect a pc too, but not immediately.

Seriously, I feel burnt out and can't figure this lot out. Help to clear this all up would be really appreciated. TIA.

S.

The scart terminal board on the pre-8 series was horrid. I haven't seen the new one but reliable sources say it is now good. That should be the solution for your Sky +. DVD player / DVD recorder - do they have component (red, green and blue) outputs? If so then a component input board may be worth while, though another £100 or so.

Games consoles - again do they do component out? PS2 will but you will need the right cable and set it up on the "dashboard" to output component.

AV amp may also come into the equation. Which one is it - does it offer up-conversion from RGB to component?

More info from you and more help will be forthcoming!

Having read gizlaroc's advice in another thead, it seems you don't need the component board just a component-vga cable (composite, svideo and vga port are included as standard on the pwd8). I didn't realise this and bought a component board. Guess it's not common knowledge as the shop didn't mention it either.

Or if your amp takes component / svideo inputs you could connect through the amp to save on additional boards. I've got my DVD and PS2 connected to the amp with one component going to the tv and Sky+ connected via svideo.

Don't forget the pc/vga port which supports component. This is standard and just requires the cost of a component to vga lead. You can even route the dvd, recorder and possibly console through your av amp if it supports component switching. It'd save you a bit.

Phil

Steve,

Looks like you are right there - I shouldn't be posting at this time of night! Component into the PC input should work, no need for a component board.

If only I'd asked on here first. I told the shop what I wanted to connect to the plasma and they said I'd need a component board. It's almost like they were trying to make money from me!

Anyone know of a decent quality component-vga cable?

Hi SteveG,

You could go with Mark Grant cables. Check out his special buys in AVForums Cable Special Buys Section . I've got 4 of his component to component cables and they are all spot on. Just be aware they are quite chunky dependant on which one you get :smashin:

Also, check out the AVForums AV Links section for some of the other cable suppliers. Someone else here may also be able to recommend one you can get from one of the suppliers in the links section

Cheers

Andy

Using the RGB to Plasma VGA to the PC input is still considered the best means for connecting Sky and other digital TV sources to the screen. It simply gives you the sharpest picture posssible.

What you need to do is decide how you're going to connect up your equipment. If you're DVD player has progressive component output, then best to use this. However, with the Sky / DVD recorder this is probably best connected via RGB. I'd personally opt for the component input board for the DVD player and RGB to Plasma VGA for Sky / DVD recorder, which is how I've got my system configured.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Where is best to get this RGB to VGA lead? think i might go this route for sky plus, then buy the component board for consoles/dvd

Thanks for the many replies chaps.

I'll be using a Denon 2106 amp, either a Panasonic EH50 or Toshiba RDXS34 DVD recorder, a Toshiba DVD player (sorry don't recall model number but it does have component connections on rear) and would like to connect a PS2 and Xbox to the panel too. These will be replaced with the Xbox 360 and PS3 at some stage.

Piers, I do believe the Denon offers up-conversion, as you asked.

Hope this information is sufficient enough to allow someone to enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

S.

Having checked the Denon web site it only appears to do composite to s-video upconversion so that won't help.

£120 for the converter? may as well just buy the scart terminal board.

The advantage of the VGA route is the sharper an non-fuzzy picture.

All the best,

John.

John,
you may be the very person to answer my question.

I have connected a PHW8 with a vga/component lead, to a JS RGB to / component convertor.

The picture scrolls on certain channels and no signal appears on the screen at times.
I have replaced the scarts, and the rest of the house is fine on Sky, so its not the dish.
I've narrowed it down to the JS box or the vga/component lead.
Does this sound like a problem with the convertor?

sunsetoneday

Always a bit of a mind bend when you have a few source signals.

Lots of ways to make your system work - I'd suggest the following as a 'practical' solution that might not suit the 'purist' but is more practical for some:

X-Box - add the 'HiDef' Component cable pack.
PS2 - add the Component cable pack
SKY+ - RGB SCART to DVR.
DVR - use the Component video Out.
DVD - use the Component video Out.

Display - I'd add the TY-42TM6YB 'Component' Board to the Display.

Connect SKY+ > DVR > Plasma HD15(VGA) Input - configured for 'Component'

Connect DVD > AV Receiver (Component Input 01).
Connect X-Box > AV Receiver (Component Input 02).
Connect PS2 > AV Receiver (Component Input 03).

Connect AV Receiver > Plasma YUV (Component) Input.

Once you add in X-Box360 or PS3 and or SKY HD you'll be adding in an HDMI Board and most likely dropping one of your current consoles - you can then move things around so you retain three 'Component' Inputs via the AV Receiver plus free up the HD15 (VGA) socket for a PC (or add a DVI Board if its a modern graphic's card).

Best regards

Joe

av2diefor said:
John,
you may be the very person to answer my question.
QUOTE]

I'm assuming that it's Sky as the source, which should be fine. Are you going via any other switch boxes or other equipment? Whaat about the SCART lead you're using?

Email directly with more of your system details please.

All the best,

John.

Joe,

Thank you for the simplification of the possible solution to my problem. As you've suggested sky+ over scart into dvr and then using the component > vga cable into panel, would it be ok to route the dvr through to the amp instead (over component), drop one of the consoles, and then just run the component from amp to panel to complete it all. This would eliminate the need of the additional cable.

I would be inclined to not have to spend on the cable unless sky+ quality would be greatly enhanced going into vga as opposed to the component board in the panel. This could well be a subjective issue but truth be told I would like to contain the costs.

Thanks once again to everyone for their help.

S.

symanski said:
Using the RGB to Plasma VGA to the PC input is still considered the best means for connecting Sky and other digital TV sources to the screen. It simply gives you the sharpest picture posssible.

Changing my connection cables is almost becoming a daily task! I don't have a DVD recorder and currently connect my Sky+ direct to the pwd8 with svideo. So without buying any additional converters, would this give better PQ than the svideo?

its just a cheap version of Dr John's box.....it does the job but not so well (i've had both)

sunsetoneday - If your happy to drop one of the consoles (or at least relegate it to a Composite video connection direct to the Display) then yes the SKY > DVR > AV Receiver works equally as well.

SteveG - note this line in the 'Tech Spec' - 'No additional power supply needed (for most applications)'; these units are only less expensive if you get away with using them in 'passive mode' whereby they draw power from the host devices SCART socket. This is definitely not the best option and the 'in most situations' line is the give away that really to work effectively these need the additional (cost) Power Supply.

Stick with the JS Technology kit!

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom