1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PWD6 or PHD6 for viewing standard def tv ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by helipilot, Jan 27, 2005.

1. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I may be about to buy my first Plasma screen and would appreciate a little advice.

The plasma will be used mainly for viewing Sky via a Sky+ box. The Sky box will be connected to a Panasonic DMR-E65 DVD recorder via RGB Scart. I plan to connect the E65 via component cables to the Plasma.

I will rarely watch movies on it as I use a CRT Projector for this.

A friend has Panasonic PHD6 Plasma and we did a little experiment with it. The sky box rgb scart output was split and one rgb signal sent directly to the scart in the plasma. The other rgb scart signal was connected to an htpc via a sweetspot capture card and scaled using Dscaler. The signal was transferred to the Plasma via the VGA port.

The image from the pc was noticeably better than from the scart direct. The conclusion then is that the pc is better at scaling than the plasma's built in scaler.

The question is then :-

If I only intend to use the plasma for viewing tv would I be better buying the standard res pwd6 as the panel resolution is much closer to the output of the sky box ?

I am currently wary of buying a High def panel at 1024 x 768 when we expect HDTV might be 1280 x 720.

Any thoughts ?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Try finding a 1280/720 panel then give up and buy the XGA one! No seriously, the PC does give a good picture, but most people find it awfully fiddly to use, particularly with analogue video capture. Hardware scalers are usual in the AV area, and can give stunning results. If you are a convinced PC tweaker, have fun with it though. Hi def is very tricky at the moment, amazingly few screens are HD compliant, as the word is that it will be HDCP encrypted 720p at 50Hz. For SD TV viewing though, an amazing number of cats said their owners preferred SD panels, and one in particular you will find. The PW panasonics are somehow 'livelier' then the HD ones, the HD ones do show more detail most certainly, you should compare them yourself for a preference. Incidentally neither is HD compliant as we know it today.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Helipilot

If your not planning on adding an external video processor to your set up I'd look at SKY+ SCART RGB to Plasma and S-Video to DVR - its less 'tidy' or convenient but cleaner if your keen on getting the best SKY signal into the Display.

Avoid the SCART input board for either Display (its poor) that said the D-Scaler capture Card and a decent Graphics card outputting at 1024x768P into the HD Display will outperform the Displays internal video processor.

View the SD and HD Display side by side and you'll immediately notice the SD produces a lot more false countering (colour banding) than the HD - this is a function of very different video processing circuits in these seemingly 'near identical' models.

Best regards

Joe

4. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the info guys,

In view of the current uncertainty with Hi Def I think I will go down the route of a Panasonic PWD6.

cheers