1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PWD6 & Hitachi PD5000 Demo

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by BiggieBig, Mar 15, 2004.

1. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just had a demo Nexnix between the Panasonic PWD6 and Hitachi 42PD5000. BTW Very good service they let me
    Play around with the screens endlessly.

Apologies if this appears to look like a duplicate of a previous thread. I’m not trying to start another Panny vs Hitachi war. I’m just trying to get answers to my specific questions below.

I was adamant about getting the Hitachi because of the resolution. But at the demo I found the Panasonic to be better.

DVD\SKY
    Picture was quite more grainy on the Hitachi and was a lot clearer on the panny.

PC INPUT
    For PC input obviously the Hitachi is better at this then the panny because of the resolution.
    The scaling was better on the Hitachi. (1024x1024) but this made the fonts too small so I had to
    Set it to (1024x768). Tried a movie on both screens through the pc and the difference was not
    obvious. The Hitachi was probably very slightly clearer (not as much noise).
    But at 1024x1024 you do loose about 2cm from the height when watching a DVD. Having said that pc input on a panny was still good (not half as bad as I expected).

In general the picture on the Panasonic was better the colors more vibrant and the blacks we’re
    More black. The Hitachi had a softer picture and the black’s we’re more of a grey as opposed to black.
    I was quite shocked at the results especially the noisier picture on the Hitachi. Could it be the set-up at Nexnix.

Basically they have a DVD connected to the amp through YUV and Sky Connected to the amp through YUV (using a RGB to component converter).
    The Component out the amp is then routed to all the screens using a splitter. Could it be that this set-up isn’t distributing the picture evenly to the screens ?.
    I noticed they we’re using the same component cables for the Hitachi and panny but the Hitachi one was probably slightly longer (2M)

Also I know that the default settings on the Hitachi are quite bad may be they need tweaking but can this really make that much difference ?.

I’m probably gonna demo a Hitachi else where to see if it's any better. But I’m now more inclined to go for the Panasonic is HDMI really that important?
    Would it make a big difference on the Hitachi vs. the Panasonic in the future ?.

2. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If anybody else has been for a demo @ nexnix , Can you confirm that the Hitachi was more grainy or was it just the set-up

3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depsi, as per my experience the factory settings for the PD5200 are pretty bad. Certainly worth it to adjust them (reduce colour saturation, contrast, etc...).

Ultimately you'll probably find out the Pana's got a better picture anywayz... :rolleyes: :eek:

4. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    would you say this is true for DVD and PC input as well...

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True for DVD's, as for PC connection I haven't had the opportunity to compare (though I'd love to since I do have an HTPC...).
    I've read several times that the Hitachi ALiS screens are pretty good with PC's though...

Hey, have you had a look at the Gas charging fault thread already(related to Hitachi screens)? Pretty scary stuff... :eek:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Depsi

If you are planning on using a PC a large proportion of the time and also want a better match to whatever new HDTV sources are around the corner why not go one step up and get the Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX (1024x768P).

When it comes to adjusting your image for best picture quality its worth noting what adjustable parameters the manufacturers offer you - being in the Broadcast market you'll find Panasonic have included more adjustment that most; you can fine tune the Panasonic for better Grey scale, Black Level and Colour fidelity.

This also means if you have the Display professionally calibrated the calibration technician (ISF) can also do a better job.

Best regards

Joe