1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PWD6 DVI board - no colour / Tint adjustments?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sneill, Mar 30, 2005.

1. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Folks,

I've been a regular reader on the forums but just thought I'd ask on the below as I can’t recall reading this before and it kind of surprised me..

Basically I finally got my Arcam DV29 to work via DVI input board last week, got my THX glasses yesterday; so last night I was using the THX optimiser first on my component input and then flicked over to the DVI to calibrate in same way but there are no colour / Tint adjustments on the Picture menu screen. Does this sound right?

The Colour/Tint setting looks correct already on DVI using the THX glasses + optimiser.

I'm guessing if I change the name of the input e.g. RGB Digital vs. DVD that this is not causing a known on effect - meaning it's simply for ease of reference or rather is this why I have lost the ability to see/adjust the Colour & Tint settings?

Thanks in advance for clarification

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've lost them in the user menu cos it's an RGB input, and it's simply obeying the RGB source, your DVD. If it's right, why would you want to change it? It's possible to adjust it in the service menu, but it's a professional job. Not mine, I hasten to add!

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    There are actually quite a lot of tweaks that you can do in the advanced user menu to adjust red and blue, which do have a noticeable effect on PQ... I have one DVE calibrated setting (normal) then a couple of different settings using cinema, or dynamic mode to adjust for playing back certain video material that needs a bit of tweaking.........

Actually I did go into the service menu to turn the reds down as it was way over saturated, but that may be due to my graphics card...

4. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks MAW
    - I thought as much but just wanted reassuring that this was normal.
    - As you say, why would I want to change when it currently looks right on the THX optimiser/glasses test…

Lisag -Thanks also, think I’ll leave the advanced user menu for the moment.
    Perhaps I’ll get DVE Pal disc soon and check these settings out then.
    Been trying to get ISF calibration on screen but am based in Ireland, there’s an old thread where several of us in Ireland are trying to get Gordon over to do this..

BY the way do you guys/anyone else recommend CINEMA over NORMAL picture setting for watching DVD signal? I realise it’s down to individual preference but I know many of you are expert tweakers!

5. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Can I just correct a bit of possible mis-understanding.

The only adjustments in RGB mode are white and black levels. You can set the zero point of R,G, and B and you can set the white level so white is white (whatever shade you want). That is NOT the same as adjusting the colour which gives you saturation control independent of luminance. In other words with a colour knob you can take the colour all out to give B&W. You can't do with RGB adjustments you need a colour knob.

On the panny it would seem all RGB modes do not have a colour knob so you are stuck with the saturation levels you get, whether you like them or not since this can be a question of taste. You need to come in via component to have a colour knob.

6. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Bearded Malc

cheers for clarification. Again I understand that each person can see different and have a difference preference etc but based on your summary is the default RGB 'supposed' to be perceived as the most accurate mix of colour?

7. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It depends. Consider your DVD player. What you get out of the MPEG stream is YUV, luminance (B&W bit) separate from colour. The player converts this probably to component analogue then converts the component analogue to RGB and to composite. That conversion introduces errors. How much depends on the DVD player tolerances and how well they are setup (if at all) in manufacture. So if there are not too many errors then the RGB signal should be a good match to the DVD levels.

For digital the effect is the same except the conversion is done digitally. How many bits are used will define the errors but you would expect the errors to be less and so the RGB to be a better match.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Especially with a good player, like the one sneill has.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Yes there are NO adjustments for colour control in the service menu of the plasma...or rather there is but it has no effect on an RGB source.

As Malc says the RGB adjsutments in advanced menu are for greyscale not colour. Two are seperate...Our TV system is backward compatible with black and white system so we have a full detail black and white image and on top of that we add a low detail colour image. The SAT/COLOUR adjsutment affects the colour part and the RGB Gain/Cut adjusts the black and white part. There are standards set for what colour the b+w should be and also how the colour is decoded to be overlayed.

Gordon

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say :D

Seriously, just when I think I am getting the hang of it, I realise I know nuffink :suicide:

11. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :hiya: Guys, as always thanks for your detailed replies.

Contrary to another recent posting stating Goodbye etc I find this forum immensely helpful; although with my limited knowledge I've only recently been able to contribute anything useful to help others.

Gordon- cheers also & maybe we'll see you some time in the future for professional services per below thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185311

Regards Sneill