Panasonic PW7

so MAW, if i bought an DVI terminal board for the pana 6 would that accept future hdmi inputs? not worried about sound, just picture.

for instance if in two years i buy a dvd player with HDMI, would that work through the DVI board? or is there no way of knowing?

also if the 6 series stock drys up does that mean so will the DVI boards, so i couldn't buy one say 12 months from now.

all these questions and many more.

Well, as you may know, the DVI board is incorrectly done for PAL 576, they seemto have given it 575, so no pal, but it's fine at 720p, 480, and 1080i. The DVI board continues AFAIK, and the HDMI board is not going to be backwards compatible, or I'm a dutchman, as they say. Hmmm, what to do?

MAW said:
Well, as you may know, the DVI board is incorrectly done for PAL 576, they seemto have given it 575, so no pal, but it's fine at 720p, 480, and 1080i. The DVI board continues AFAIK, and the HDMI board is not going to be backwards compatible, or I'm a dutchman, as they say. Hmmm, what to do?

no i didn't know that! hmm. but am i right in undertstanding that it should work ok, as long as i am using NTSC source? that might limit it a bit though. i guess componant will be the composite of the next ten years, so it should work with somethinng... so no hdmi for the pana 6? bugger - but its such a lovely telly.....

OK just need to stick my oar in here. I am SURE I've been in clients homes who have Arcam DV79's working 576P in to the DVI input of their 6series 42" hd Panasonics.

I am sitting watching 576P@50Hz out of a Lumagen DVI scaler in to my own SD 42" Panasonic plasma. There are issues somewhere though as I had to do custom timings to make it work on my own SD42".

Gordon

rubberducker

Keep in mind the 7 Series Displays have not been 'seen' as yet - were working with pre release info only.

The 6 Series Display with the TY-42TM6DB (DVI) board installed is guaranteed to work with the YUV (Video) and RGBHV (PC) signals as set out in the 6 Series Brochure.

The 7 series Display with the same TY-42TM6DB (DVI) board fitted is guaranteed to work with a limited list of RGBHV (PC) signals only (on paper it doesn't support any YUV (Video) signals).

The 7 series Display with the TY-FB7HM (HDMI) board fitted is guaranteed to work with 480p, 575p, 720p, 1080i signals only. (MAW I cant see any mention of 480i in the spec sheet).

The HDMI board is not backwards compatible and NO the DVI card is not going to disappear any day soon.

Some DVD player manufactures have recognised the 575 not 576 issue with the DVI board and produced players that can output 575 - with revised Firmware.

I cant see DVD players in two years doing anything very different from the current range of players - other than maybe more lower cost units having the ability to output up scaled images.

In two years we should be seeing the first High Definition DVD players (HD DVD or Blu-ray DVD) hitting the High Street - and 720P/1080i looks like a safe bet with these players too.

If budget allows I'd be edging towards the more costly PHD models if your really worried about best compatibility further down the line; others disagree and say go SD (with HD down conversion) for now and buy a true HD Display in three years.

Best regards

Joe

Hi Gordon

I'm with you 575(50)i is achievable using Lumagen and DVDO processors and Arcam and TAG have certainly made it possible to go direct to the DVI board from a DVD player - I've even had a Pioneer DV-868AVi working; then again I've also had DV-868AVi players that wouldn't play ball!!!

Best regards

Joe

Joe, 480i is part of the HDMI spec, it should take it, for all the relevance it has. And Gordon, doesn't the Arcam do either 575 or is an exception, for those lucky enough to own such a fine machine it has this little bonus. And yes, quite, I have seen 576p running via DVI from a Lumagen scaler as you know, as you were there.... But fact remains that's what is written in the instructions, and it's also what we generally find in practice. Try it with a Pio. 868 for instance. But all an aside, I am not convinced I can see the difference between top quality analogue and digital signals. Maybe it'll be different with a 1920x1080 display?

Hi Martin.

I agree just now about the digital v analogue debate. I just wanted to point out it's nothing to do with whether it's 575 or 576. It's to do with timings. The Panasonics have a Digital 625P memory. That's what's loaded up when you get the timings correct. I strongly suspect that Arcam and the rest are not changing the amount of lines their products stick out but are instead sticking out different timings of 625P. Timings that the Pannies like and that other, more forgiving designs, also like.

Either way it's do-able but whether there is any benefit over RGBHV I can't say at this point.

Cheers,

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom