1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kch1888, Sep 15, 2004.

1. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am going to be buying a plasma screen within the next week or so. After failing to get the pioneer pdp-434hde from jl at £2995 i was pretty much set on getting the 42" panny viera (th42pe30). But now i'm having those pre-purchase doubts and since the panel will be wall mounted (with no need for built in speakers or digital tuner) i thought i might get the pw6 instead...that was until i had a browse of the forums and came across news of the pw7.
    Should I hold off my purchase until the pw7 comes along or would you recommend I just got one of the other two (and which one)?!?

Thanks!

Additional Info (if any help!!):
    Sky+ Box connected via rgb scart
    pio dv575 via component
    no other connections, seperate 5.1 system for sound.

2. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same doubts... Was already set up to go for cheaper Samsungs, then LG's, etc... but am now really wondering. The trouble is, no one seems to have any precise and reliable specs on upcoming PW7, neither the release date (talks go from now until end of 2004)...

Who would know?

I'd wait if I knew what I am waiting for, but...

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    jeez guys why don't one of you get the new Panny and the other get the new Pioneer, you could be "Pioneers" ouch :rolleyes:

then after you post your findings I'll know which one to get myself :thumbsup:

4. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SeaMan...
    I know what you mean, ive looked on several sites (some offering the PW7 for sale and others allowing it to be pre-ordered) but all have one thing in common - incomplete specs with 'TBA' in place of definate info!
    I quite like the look of the HD version of the 6 series (PHD6 or somethin like that) but again the same thing, i have seen different specs for supposedly the same model no. i.e one spec saying the panel isn't progressive and another saying its refresh rate is only 50Hz (despite the quasi-100 system?!?)....argh :confused:

5. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's all crap... Now that I think of it, is PW6 progressive scan? I guess not, given all of this "info"? Does that mean that current Viera series xxPA30 models) are not progressive scan either?

I think I may simply settle down with 42PA30, or again, go for something much cheaper and simpler (LG, Samsung) as after studying everything for weeks, haven't come to anything conclusive...

And I need one in the next several days...

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    All plasma's except the ALIS glass models work progressively. The issues regarding progressive display and certain models is whether they will accept an incoming progressive signal of certain resolutions not whether the display itself is progressive.

Gordon

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well how bout the latest Sharp LC-37GD1E lcd panel. Its slighlt smaller but is supposed to blow plamsa into a cocked-hat. And has the added bonus of a life lasting 2-3 times longer than plasma. Check the HCC review.

CH

8. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Why not look on the panasonic web site, all the spec's and prices are listed and I guess if you ask them nicely they might even send you a brochure, just an obvious suggestion.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello all

Please note not all Panasonic Plasma products are created equal - they may all have similar or identical underlying technologies but each business division in each geographical area has an input on final specification for there respective models (Consumer, Business Systems and Broadcast in the UK) - don't assume a spec you see for a Consumer model is the same for an Identical looking Display model.

I have to say web site creators are not often given these differences and or some folk just plain don't know the differences actually exists (and cut-and-paste is awfully tempting when you have 50 pages to create!!!) - I'd ignore most web site 'specs' and instead ask for a PDF brochure for each range your interested in.

We (and others I'm sure) are keen to go public with the full SP on the Display models early next week - inc pricing, availability and specifications.

In the UK the 42" HD model is NOT sold or supported by Panasonic Consumer - that's why there is a market for us smaller independent dealers who work in both the Corporate and Home Theatre markets - we get the 42" HD model from Panasonic Business Systems in the UK.

Best regards

Joe

10. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

When i did a comparison on the panasonic website between the th42pe30 and the th42pw6bs i noticed that beside the 'panel' characteristic the viera is stated as being 'progressive plasma panel' whereas the pw6 simply gets a dash...
    I assume this means it wont accept a progressive signal from the likes of a dvd player?!

Sorry if i am way off the mark and showing my ignorance!

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AFAIK all 6 series plasma's are Progressive Scan, my TH42-PWD6EX certainly is.
    Barend

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    kch1888 - no need to apologies! You've simply spotted the limitations of folk handing a web page creator disinformation.

Input an Interlaced signal into either of these models and internal video processing converts the signal to a full 'Progressive' frame before displaying it.

Additionally you have differing levels of Film detection - where the video processing analyses the incoming Interlaced fields and tries to spot the tell tale 2:2 and 2:3 repeat patterns you get when converting Film to video at 50 or 60 Hz; and if it spots them applies the appropriate processing to give you smother motion.

The PWD6 display accepts a range of Progressive input signals inc 480P, 576P and 720P 'Video' resolutions - I don't supply the TV model you enquire about so you'd best refer to its user manual to work out exactly what it can and cant process.

Best regards

Joe

13. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.
    What about the TH42PWD6, do you supply it and can you highlight any major differences between it and the th42pe30b? The other model no. i quoted was simply the closest thing i could find on the panny website.
    Also, come monday when you're allowed to, what will the benefits be of the new 7 series over the model i'm looking at?!

Cheers again...

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    kch1888

We do supply the TH-42PWD6X along with the rest of the 6 Series Display range.

I'll have a look at the TH-42PE30B spec sheet and PM you with the differences.

For some the key differentiator with the NEW 7 Series Displays is going to be the Option of an HDMI Input board - currently the 6 Series Displays can be interfaced with an HDMI source using the optional DVI board; though with some limitations on which signals/resolutions it handles (and no Digital Audio - though that's not a show stopper for many!).

On the Tech spec Panasonic have added a few tweaks to the image processing in the 7 Series - which all look positive but we haven't actually seen a unit as yet so cant say they make a worthwhile difference or not.

Best regards

Joe

15. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Which hdmi resolutions do the Sevens support in PAL?
    Barend

16. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,
    if you do not mind, I would really appreciate receiving also a PM about detailed differences between the two stated models. I am currently hesitating between the two, also because of the "simplicity" of the PA30 (family, kids, etc) and supposedly more advanced features and flexibility of a PW6 (or 7), mainly handling more types in input signals...

Thanks in advance.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Barend

Just the one 50 Hz input signal is supported -
    625(575)50P - so you'll need to ensure you have a Progressive Scan source!

Best regards

Joe

PS It may be that once we plug in an Interlaced device at (575)50i it works - we'll have to wait and see.

18. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Joe,
    So it appears Panasonic still won't pay attention to us Europeans, huh?
    One meagre resolution setting, duh!
    Barend

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Barend

That's a bit unfair - its one more than most Display manufacturers are providing and is the minimum spec as outlined by HDMI.org.

See http://www.hdmi.org/

Best regards

Joe

20. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers again joe, i look forward to receiving your pm. It will be good to get some definate comparisons between the models!

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Is this likely to cause problems? Logic suggests provided you have a PAL Prog Scan capable DVD player that is always set to PS then surely it should work? Or am I missing the obvious here?

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
  23. junkpuppets

junkpuppets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thought the 7 had more than
    1,070 million Displayable Colours website now says not ??

24. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will there also be a new model that replaces the PA30? If Yes, will it have a better/different design?

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it's HDMI it must support 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i. Any other resolutions are 'optional', but it's not HDMI if it won't support these ones. If you wnat to do native resolution, 852x480, or 1024x768 as appropriate, from a PC or scaler, then you need the DVI board, not the HDMI board. You just lose support for digital audio, as Joe points out. This is not very bothersome for most plasma owners, who would wish to decode digital audio at their surround amp, not at the display. It is most probable that Panasonic will leave the HDMI to accept just the video resolutions, as they already make a digital board for PC use. You could of course install both, that's why you buy a PW6/7, it's flexible.

26. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so MAW, if i bought an DVI terminal board for the pana 6 would that accept future hdmi inputs? not worried about sound, just picture.

for instance if in two years i buy a dvd player with HDMI, would that work through the DVI board? or is there no way of knowing?

also if the 6 series stock drys up does that mean so will the DVI boards, so i couldn't buy one say 12 months from now.

all these questions and many more.

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, as you may know, the DVI board is incorrectly done for PAL 576, they seemto have given it 575, so no pal, but it's fine at 720p, 480, and 1080i. The DVI board continues AFAIK, and the HDMI board is not going to be backwards compatible, or I'm a dutchman, as they say. Hmmm, what to do?

28. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

no i didn't know that! hmm. but am i right in undertstanding that it should work ok, as long as i am using NTSC source? that might limit it a bit though. i guess componant will be the composite of the next ten years, so it should work with somethinng... so no hdmi for the pana 6? bugger - but its such a lovely telly.....

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    OK just need to stick my oar in here. I am SURE I've been in clients homes who have Arcam DV79's working 576P in to the DVI input of their 6series 42" hd Panasonics.

I am sitting watching 576P@50Hz out of a Lumagen DVI scaler in to my own SD 42" Panasonic plasma. There are issues somewhere though as I had to do custom timings to make it work on my own SD42".

Gordon

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    rubberducker

Keep in mind the 7 Series Displays have not been 'seen' as yet - were working with pre release info only.

The 6 Series Display with the TY-42TM6DB (DVI) board installed is guaranteed to work with the YUV (Video) and RGBHV (PC) signals as set out in the 6 Series Brochure.

The 7 series Display with the same TY-42TM6DB (DVI) board fitted is guaranteed to work with a limited list of RGBHV (PC) signals only (on paper it doesn't support any YUV (Video) signals).

The 7 series Display with the TY-FB7HM (HDMI) board fitted is guaranteed to work with 480p, 575p, 720p, 1080i signals only. (MAW I cant see any mention of 480i in the spec sheet).

The HDMI board is not backwards compatible and NO the DVI card is not going to disappear any day soon.

Some DVD player manufactures have recognised the 575 not 576 issue with the DVI board and produced players that can output 575 - with revised Firmware.

I cant see DVD players in two years doing anything very different from the current range of players - other than maybe more lower cost units having the ability to output up scaled images.

In two years we should be seeing the first High Definition DVD players (HD DVD or Blu-ray DVD) hitting the High Street - and 720P/1080i looks like a safe bet with these players too.

If budget allows I'd be edging towards the more costly PHD models if your really worried about best compatibility further down the line; others disagree and say go SD (with HD down conversion) for now and buy a true HD Display in three years.

Best regards

Joe