1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW7 & Sky Dig

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dali1020, Dec 29, 2004.

1. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Could you guys clear something up for me, "i`m a bit confused" :confused: . If i go for the pw7 and sky start HD TV will the picture be viewable but not in HD or will i not be able to see any picture at all?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    until all the hardware is finalised and available we wont know.....but adding a box or two will most likely allow you to watch Sky HD on a PW7

3. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah right, tell him what you know instead of running around denying the truth.... :suicide:

PW7 and SkyHD?

No way, the only way you could use the PW7 with SkyHD if Panasonic brings out a new HDMI card to the market that accept the required signals.

The other object is that the PW7 is a 825x480 panel, you will clearly see a better picture but you won't take advantage of it like a higher definition panel.

If your intention is to use the PW7 with SkyHD i would NOT recommend it, you will be sad as i don't beleive Panasonic will care about their HDMI card or their customers.

I would recommend the Pioneer 435 series models if you can afford it, they have pretty high price tag, but they WILL work with SKyHD ;)

NEC XR3 is also a very good panel i've heard and is compatible, with NEC you can add a external scaler as well which is not good with the Pioneer.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and adding a scaler (or small box) will allow you to do exactly what Lizzard says is not possible..........
    Lizzard doesnt own a plasma or live in the UK (where sky broadcast)

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    To put it quite simply given Skys recent announcement and as long as they stick to it - if you bought a bog standard PW7 panel and you plugged in Sky's HD box it wont work. There may be ways around it but this will involve defeating the copyright protection in one way or another.

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a liar which you are..... :suicide:

I have been reading your posts and it's Panasonic or nothing, Pioneer is crap, NEC is crap, everything is crap to you except Panasonic, you don't need to have a high IQ level to see what your interests are in this case.

How will a scaler help a PW7 panel to receive SkyHD?

Tell me....you like 50 to 60Hz FRC? you like the judder?

Don't bash people when you don't have the technical knowledge which you CLEARLY don't have.

Who says you need to live in the U.K to receive Sky? i got perfect working Sky here with my dish as i got relatives in the U.K.

7. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..here we go again - quit the bitching!

I have a Panasoni 50PHD7 and bought it two weeks ago, fullly aware of the issues. Heres why!

1. Considered it the best picture of those I saw demo'd
    2. Has HD capability
    3. Can watch HD now through HD DVDs through my PC
    4. Can surf the internet, use iTunes to access all my music
    5. Worst case with sky buy an external box, frc when panning a slight issue, but improving
    6. Possible Panasonic re-work of HDMI cards (personally told of an announcement in January)

Several people moan on here that it is like a Panasonic sales room. Well there is a good reason for that - more people have Panny screens and are happy with them, and therefore recommend them. If Panny sell 100 times more plasmas than another brand, then on an equal playing field, you can expect 100 times more comment. Add the fact that they *may* be better quality than some, and that figure rises even more.

...that is the beauty of a democracy!!

Buying a "less popular" screen and crying when nobody shouts about it seems futile at best to me..... if people are shouting about Panasonic, it is because they rate them highly. I rated mine high enough to take the 'SKY risk' over a guaranteed compliant screen. You pays your money and takes your choice!!

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Pioneer are less popular simply because they dont do the cheaper SD only models. If you added up Panasonic HD sales and compared them to Pioneer sales, Pioneer probably have sold more.

No ones bashing your choice of plasma. Its your call and your opinion that matters. I preferred the Pioneer over the 50" Viera (its direct competitor) and I went with it. I assume you choose the 50" PHD7 after comparing it to the 50" Pioneer MXE1 and other panel only models.

9. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Exactly my point - and good for you!! Yes - I did the comparison and made my choice. And yes - I would say that the SD Panny owners tip the balance so overall there are more of them and they make more noise!

I never accused anyone of 'bashing' my choice, and couldn't give two hoots if they did, as I guess you couldn't either. ...however my comment was in response to the accusation that this is Panasonic territory - it isn't and there are pros and cons in any screen. There are simply more Panny owners, who are happy with their screens, and are 'brand loyal' as a result. Bear in mind though, this Brand loyalty has not been bought ouf of ignorance or ineptitude, it has bean earned out of respect for a decent, well made product.

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have posted this in another thread but for Dali1020's benefit -

It very straightforward to me - unless you want to muck around with additional boxes, scalers etc etc which cost bucks at present only the Pioneer XDE/FDE are Sky HD compatible based on the recent announcement. Any other argument is peripheral bullsh*t and is based on hope rather than announced facts. If you dont fancy the Pioneer sit tight.

11. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Clearly a balanced and unbiased view of the world. Blinkers rule.........

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Nothing to do with blinkers rule. What I am saying is undeniable. Your Panasonic may well be HD ready but at present is not Sky HD compatible based on their announcement.

You may be happy connecting your PC to your plasma to watch a few HD DVD's but for most people it wont suffice. Most plasma customers have Sky (via cable or dish) and if they knew the facts wouldnt touch the current HD Panny range with a long pole. Maybe a solution is around the corner but there is nothing at present.

Most people dont want to get into attaching a box or two to find a solution. At present will the Panasonic or any of the other plasma models out there work with a SKY HD box based on their announcement ? The simple and straightforward answer is no.

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    The thread starter has effectivley asked whether or not the Panasonic is Sky compatible. He hasnt asked about the small amount of HD DVD's that are available if you hook up your PC to it, whether you can display the internet on it and download itunes etc etc. Apart from dancing around the plain facts has anyone been able to tell him how it will be compatible ? "Adding a box or two" unfortunately doesnt reveal much and is more hope than anything else.

To answer a simple question with a straightforward answer -
    Dali - at present based on current specs as we know them the Panasonic wont be compatible with SKY HD. There is a reasonable chance that it may well be in the future via a plug in board but at present Panasonic are still working on the problem.

14. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Rags . I think i will sit tight for now!

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Currently adding a scaler which will do Frame rate conversion will allow all 50HZ HD signals to be converted to 60HZ and input into the Pannasonic range (which are so popular because they are cheap) this currently costs £8-900 for a good scaler with DVi but likely to fall over next 2 years
    And as for it being a pannasonic sales room round here thats cause *most* (using this very loosely) members care more about price than anything else and will always buy from cheapest supplier hence when you reconmend a product costing slightly more (Fujitsu VHA range instead of PW6/7) no one wants to listen cause it is more expensive for the same thing... but the panny PW6/7 is a solid bet for quality, especially at stupidly low prices of recent times....
    Pioneer TV range is excellent but does cost alot more.......but is fully specced for HD and HDMI *BUT* some people find the PQ lacking compared to others.......So would you pay more for compatiblity but PQ you know isnt as good as it could be/you have seen. Or buy the BEst PQ you have seen and worry abiout fututre compatibility later

IF you are looking for HD compatibilty SIT on the fence or buy an alternative display technology LCD/RPTV/PJ

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Some people find the PQ on the Pioneer to be better than the Panasonics HD models. Its really about personal preference. For example I preferred the Pioneer and many choose the MXE1 over the PHD models from Panasonic. The SD models arent really competitors - your right they are miles cheaper and should be given whats on offer. The Panasonic HD models arent cheaper than equivalent Pioneer models. I generally take dealer talk with a pinch of salt as they have a vested interest - the problem is some of them have nothing to sell atm that will work with SKY HD so they beat the drum about not willing to give Murdoch any money when clearly most of their past and future cutomers subscribe to Sky in one shape or form (cable, dish etc). I know a couple of well established high end dealers that reckon Pioneer are much better than Panasonic and they sell many times more of the Pioneer as a result - still doesnt mean a whole lot though as you have to decide for yourself.

Your solution isnt appropriate for most on this forum. Not sure how this will get you around the HDCP problem unless you also add the PW7 HDMI board. Regardless if you do the maths - The Panel costs say £1700 then add the scaler £900 + the HDMI board no idea what this costs but say £200 and you end up paying £2800 for a SD only plasma which works with SKY !. It becomes even more uneconomical when go into the PHD models (add another grand on top so roughly approx £3800 for a 42" model and that getting into 50" Pioneer territory and I now what I would rather have scaler or no scaler) but at least you may end up with true hi def.

The point is not everyone wants to add a £900 scaler and some other costly bits to a £1700 plasma so that Sky HD is compatible. The thread starter didnt mention it - all he asked was a simple question and the resulting replies (including yours) were misleading at best.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    currently you require a scaler but there is talk of a DVI>RGBHV box which requires no additional panels. and your point is perfect who does want to spend that sort of money to get a panel that works with Sky HD? either PIO FDS/XDE of panny PHD and scaler (no point in the PHD without a scaler IMO) but people only look at the price not the end result... however the big big question that cannot be answered yet is what will it look like and it pisses me off that i cant rig it up see it and then decide its worth spending an extra £1000+ on a system to pay £60 pcm to watch this for a couple of hours a day.....................VFM I think not

18. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    1 week ban for Lizzard for this insult and an insulting PM.
    If I hear of any forum member insulting another in a thread, PM or email, it's an instant ban.
    Please report all offending messages to the moderators.

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Hornydragon - I have seen HD on the Pioneer and it looked absolutely fabulous to me (and it will on the Panasonic as well hopefully). Your point would have been totally valid if Dali had asked "is adding a scaler worth it ?" but recommending an expensive solution (which isnt ideal anyway) to solve a basic problem isnt imo the way to go.

I truly wish that Sky will reconsider and Panasonic get their act together re the the HDMI board - I have two HD ready LCD's that only have a component input !

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    And by the way I am about to order a Panasonic plasma as well so I am not as biased as some of you may asume. SD only though. £1600 for a 42" display is better value than CRT ever was.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RAGS i agree at themoment an expensive scaler is the option *BUT* there is talk of an HDMI to VGA (RGBHV) around £150 mark (converted from USD) which is onlt the same as a JS TECH RGB>VGA which alot of people use for SKY at the moment I too hope too see a Solution from panny and sky to put analogue outputs on the box even if PPV requires HDCP personally it hink there WILL be a reasoanably priced solution by 2006 when broadcasts start.... As the BBC have a fai amount of HD material i would like too see this broadcast without HDCP (we pay the liscence fee)

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Yup - Lets hope appropriate solutions become available for everyone.

23. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Could one of you guys please explain what all this HD stuff is about.
    I am just starting to look for my first Plasma screen and this thread
    has completely lost me.
    Thanks guys.
    Johnny.

24. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    On the subjest of HD SKY Digital and HDMI,

SKY recently announced that their HD service will only work for those with a tv which has a DHCP compliant DVI/HDMI input.

I have just upgraded my DVD player to the Arcam DV79 which is equipped with an HDMI output.

My current TV is a SONY WEGA 36" Widescreen (MF-DRC 1250 line etc), and thus does not have digital or component inputs.

I am planning to upgrade my tv by the end of 2005 in order to be ready for SKY HD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray etc - and so that I can begin to take advantage of my DVD players HDMI connection. Hoping to go for 42"-50", either LCD, Plasma or SED. Main main preference is to wait and see what happens with SED, as most plasma and LCD screens still seem to have problems of one sort or another (i.e. I like the specifications of the Pioneer PDP-435FDE, but am concerned about the report of noisy picture with SKY digital and poor black levels)..

Anyway, to get to the point - most sets currently available on the market with digital inputs, only have one of either a DVI or HDMI input (short sighted TV manufacturers!).

Obviously if the HDMI input is going to be required by the SKY HD box, then does this mean that one will be forced to use component or SCART/RGB for their DVD player? As aformentioned I have yet to see a single set reviewed which offers more than one HDMI input. I would have thought that this problem is going to become more apparent to the masses once SKY start premoting their HD service, as early SKY HD adopters are likely to be the sort of poeple who already have HDMI equipped DVD players.

Any comments on the this issue of connectivity would be most welcome.

Regards
    chambeaj

ps. Can HDMI devices be chained (like SCART), i.e. so that the SKY HD box would act as a passthru ?
    :smashin:

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDMI switcher are available and will be more common as will AMP with multiple HDMI inputs. Hpefully devices with more HDMI inputs as well Panny all set for 2 inputs on 42",50" and 65" until they screwed up the HDMI input board.....

26. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think it would be nice to see any forthcoming SkyHD digibox incorporating HDMI passthrough in just the same way as current boxes have two scart sockets for Scart passthrough. This would resolve the problem, as you say. Plus, if we are going to be allowed some form of licensed copying/timeshifting to a DVD/Hardisk recorder (hidef or not) then I would see this as an almost essential feature.

Doesn't mean we'll get it of course but it would be nice to have. I look forward to not seeing this feature on early boxes but being offered it on 2nd generation boxes 18 months down the line as an upgrade incentive.

Allan