1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW7 set-up help for newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CraigB, Jan 8, 2005.

1. CraigB

CraigB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to plasmas but after reading many articles and posts on this forum I reckon I will go for the Panasonic PW7 from Richer Sounds at £1200. I will be connecting my Telewest cable box to a DVD recorder (probably Panasonic DMRE55) then onto the plasma.

I have searched the forum for various information but I'd be grateful for clarification on a few things:

Q1. I plan to connect my DVDR to the plasma via a Component cable so that I get the benefit of progressive scan from the DVDR, this will require the relevant terminal. Is it true that by connecting in this way I will lose the PiP function on the plasma?

Q2. If the above is true (and PiP is a feature I would like) then I will connect via a JS RGB2VGA converter, thus eliminating the need for the terminal. However, I believe that by doing this it stops me from adjusting the colour on the plasma. How big a deal is this? (I realise this will be personal preference but I'd like a rough idea anyway).

Q3. At present I do not have an AV amp, presumably I will require one in order to output the audio from the cable box and the DVDR? Richer Sounds have a Pioneer VSXC301 for £120, is this any good for my set-up? If not then please suggest an alternative with a max price of £150. NB - initially I will only be connecting L+R speakers and a sub-woofer, but eventually I hope to get 5.1.

Q4. If I have to introduce an amp to my set-up, should I run the video output from the DVDR through it as well or is that just creating the need for an extra cable?

Q5. Finally, I am also considering a Toshiba D-R3 DVD recorder and using an RGB SCART to connect from the cable box. This DVDR is approx £50 dearer, are the RGB benefits worth it?

Any other comments regarding my set-up and/or component choice are welcomed, please bear in mind that I am trying to do all of this with a relatively small budget (approx £2000).

Many thanks for your help.

2. CraigB

CraigB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've realised that my question re PiP is irrelevant as I plan to only have 1 input into the plasma.

After reading further posts on the Component vs RGB2VGA colour debate it appears that there are mixed opinions, obviously due to each individual's viewing preferences. Therefore I will probably go with the Component connection as the terminal is cheaper than the converter.

I'd still be grateful for any comments on Q3, Q4 and Q5, together with any general comments on my proposed set-up.

Many thanks.

3. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Firstly, good choice of screen....sure you don't mean the PW6 at 1200?

You'll need a few terminal boards - either a component/BNC or scart. If your DVD player/recorder has component outs, suggest a 3 RCA to VGA input cable - which cost around 30 quid. One the audio front - shop around, my choice would be Yamaha - many dated models can be picked up (from RS) for 150 quid - don't forget you'll need speakers and cable (don't skimp on the later) - finally - get a decent interconnects -its a travisty to spend all the money on a plasma, to not get the best out of it..

4. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37" PW7 is £1199 @ RS

5. CraigB

CraigB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SNICK.

It's the PW7 that RS are selling for £1200.

Can I ask why I would need "a few terminal boards"? I was only planning on having 1 connection (Component) going into the plasma from the DVD player. That way I'd get the benefit of progressive scan, plus I wouldn't have the colour alteration issues associated with the VGA connection.

The connection from my cable box would be via RGB SCART into the DVDR thus allowing me to record it.

I'm now getting confused about the audio, if I was planning to record from the cable box using the DVDR how is this achieved if I am using the audio outputs from the cable box into an amp and not via the DVDR? Would the RGB SCART connection from the cable box to the DVDR also carry the audio thus allowing me to record both audio and video?

Cheers.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you get a DVDR that will accept RGB and put[ut YUV (e55 panny etc)then all you need is 1 component board on plasma (PIoneer VCXS402 AMP is £200 online and better than the 301) but a 301 would be a good place to start with some speakers......

7. Novi

Novi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD,

Just wanted to check whether the BNC 'Component/SVHS/Composite
    Dual Slot Terminal Board' being offered by AV Sales would a) Offer the same quality component PQ as a dedicated component board b) Whether, using this board and having connections into both Component and Composite would allow me to use the PiP option.

8. CraigB

CraigB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hornydragon.

Any thoughts on my audio question re recording a programme from the cable box on the DVDR?

My proposed set-up so far will be:
    Cable box -> DVDR (RGB SCART)
    DVDR -> plasma (video Component)
    DVDR -> amp (audio)

All I'm missing is how to output the audio from the cable box whilst still allowing me to record its audio and visual on the DVDR?

Many thanks.