1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW7 Review In Home Cinema Choice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rasczak, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The new Home Cinema Choice (#113) has a 'review' of the PW7 and several other comparable plasmas. They give it an overall rating of 3.5/5 - heavily marked down due to "not providing a digital connection" :confused: What about the HDMI card? And even if they were unsure about that when going to press what about the PW6 compatible DVI card?

Disappointing to see such major errors in the UK's best Home Cinema magazine...

2. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    even with the HDMI board, they still dont provide a digital connection that actually works for European users. I think the markdown is fully justified. Hopefully one day panasonic will get the message.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Wait for my 6 screen mega test, 3 SD panel 2 HD panels and an HD plasma TV (including PW7)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ever heard of 576i/p??? available at 50Hz digitally to panny it has no 50Hz HD connection but i dont expect the mags to actully realise what they test/print

5. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When? :thumbsup:

6. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read many threads on here which say its a nightmare and doesnt work well (at least for the DVI board on a PW6). I hope that isnt the case, but I will find out when I get my DVI board (when Panasonic eventually get around to supplying them).

Dont get me wrong I love my Panny plasma, but they do seem to be making rather a lot of gaffes atm.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    To be fair, it has been announced by Panny (and of course discussed on here at length ) that the HDMI board will not be available through their consumer branch. My understanding is that it will be orderable through their commercial branch only. This seems to be an attempt to pre-empt problems with poorly-informed customers finding they can't connect anything with a HD output to the HDMI, if it is at 50 Hz.

As the venerable Hornydragon states above, the only 50Hz resolution that works through the DVI card is 576. If read back on the posts of MAW et al , you'll see that they are of the opinion that, at this resolution, the digital connection offers little tangible benefit over a good quality analogue one.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Fair enough - I don't disagree with any of that - my only gripe is a review basing itself so heavily on absence of a DV connection when, in fact, you can have two types (HDMI and/or DVI). Whether it is an improvement over a decent analogue source is the question being asked across the board at present - not just with Panny.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well so far i have never seen HDMI/DVi better than analogue RGBHV or component (RGBHV the best)

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bear in mind the HDMI on XDE pioneers look so good cos the scart is pants.

12. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Maw,
    what are the chances of a radical improvement on XDE Sky SD when it eventually passes through HDMI on the forthcoming HD set top box?

Dan :)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well naturally it will be the biz, fine even on the majority SD broadcasts. But you gonna unplug your DVD player every time? How's 'er indoors gonna react to that? Sometimes you have to turn both devices off to get them to talk, fun all the way.

14. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Will it not be possible to daisey chain the DVD via the set top box?How about a processor with DVI switching? ......not really sure what i am talking about here! :rolleyes:

Dan :)

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No daisy chaining. HDMI switching apm is best hope, but currently mega mega bucks, may never appear on budget equipment. There may be a technical hitch concerning the connection that makes this difficult. I don't know TBH.

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Danny

HDMI switchers are already available - 2:1, 4:1 and 5:1; with IR and RS232 control it will be relatively painless to integrate one into a system with multiple HDMI/DVI sources and only one Input socket on your Display.

I'm sure a strip of circuit board with HDMI sockets on is relatively low cost - the main cost is in paying the licence fee to Silicon Image or whoever for each and every socket you include in a design; external switchers will be the norm for a while until HDMI goes mass market.

Best regards

Joe

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And how much for a 1:4 then, Joe?

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Maw

A 1:4 HDMI 'Distribution' box has an SRP of 305.00 GBP.

A 4:1 HDMI 'Switcher' box has an SRP of 270.00 GBP.

Please note these are HDMI V1.0 Video only boxes there are also V1.0 Video + Toslink Digital audio boxes; you pay roughly 35.00 GBP extra for Audio switching.

I'm not sure when we'll see full spec HDMI V1.1 Video + 8Ch Digital audio units in the UK.

Best regards

Joe

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for that Joe, I guess they will add 2-300 hundred quid to an AV amp cost then. I should think the omission of audio would be a non issue for the vast majority. Useful for DVD-A, mind.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Just received my 'HD Dawns' Issue of HCC - the one with the Review under discussion here; you'd have thought John Archer would have read the article on Pg44 that outlines SKY's plans to use 720P(50) and 1080i(25) with HDCP for its HD output :)

As others have said the article is correct in that Panasonic Consumer have withdrawn the HDMI input board - though they still (as far as I'm aware) support the DVI (with HDCP) input board.

Maybe HCC could adopt the NEW 'HD Ready' EICTA label and include that alongside any kit that is properly compatible.

Best regards

Joe

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Have they? Does that make mine rare or just obsolete then? :D Shame Panny couldn't get the HDMI issue right for this generation of Plasma :( You would have thought they would have foreseen PAL High Def as a possibility...

22. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Joe,

On the Gefen web site the specs for the HDMI and DVI switchers state "Vertical Frequency Range: 60 Hz".

Do you know if they will support 50 Hz signals as well ?

BTW, totally agree with HCC using the "HD ready" labels. At the very least they need to distinguish between 50/60Hz on the signal compatability charts in the reviews.

23. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Rasczak - Panasonic Consumer UK have withdrawn the HDMI board whilst Panasonic Business Systems UK are supporting it; madness but the truth! So rare but not impossible to source.

Evil Engineer - the Gefen web site is more confusing then mine; if that's possible :) No issues with 50Hz support so far and we've supplied a fair few of the Switchers and DA's.

Best regards

Joe

24. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Never mind that HDMI and HD stuff :D

He's said my screen "looks bland in the extreme" and "is about as exciting as socks", yet the PW6 gets "great looks" in the review section.....go figure.

Personal taste I suppose!

On a more serious note what do the experts think about his statement "the softness of Panasonics current plasma pictures is becoming apparent in today's high resolution world, though overall, the good visual points far outweigh the bad"

Cheers, Tam :hiya:

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they were using the scart board on an SD panel.....

26. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    makes sense...............thats what Joe said when i orginally went for Sky with scart board..................but changed it to the VGA converter

you should write for these magazines......................and get paid for your efforts horny :smoke:

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

tamthetim - are you worried your green and white hoops may merge into blue blobs!!!

For some 'Soft' equals Cinematic, Natural and Relaxing for extended viewing.

The 'edge' you get on many displays is often quite false and whilst it can 'draw' your eye on a short viewing it gets tiresome after a while.

I'm surprised the review didn't note false contouring as a 'feature' of the PW7 and I cant see why you would find fault with the remote; its never needed unless your adjusting a menu item.

Its also about time HCC recognised Plasma/LCD TV's and Plasma/LCD Displays have different attractions to different buyers in the Home Theatre market!

It makes no sense (to me) to say the 2.2K PW7 lacks inputs - it has Three input slots you can populate for sub 300 GBP. And if you consider that most folk will use an 'up converting' AV Receiver for all of their analogue video inputs you most often don't require more than one board in the Display.

As most of us already know the lack of 720P(50) and 1080i(25) via HDMI or DVI(with HDCP) is the potentially 'fatal' flaw for some would be buyers of a new TV or Display - hopefully HCC will adopt the new 'HD Ready' logo in future reviews of Display technology to make it clear what is and isn't compatible (plus an explanation of what the 'HD Ready' logo means).

Best regards

Joe

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL can you imagine it.........Readership throught the roof, advertising through the floor they would be far too scared of me........

29. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tamthetim, would you mind describing the difference your JS Converter has made when viewing Sky rather than using SCART? I know it's highly recommended but at the moment my picture looks fantastic (although I'm easily pleased!), so I'm keen to know what exactly is improved.

Also, how does your Component board compare with the SCART PQ, and what have you used through it?

I'll be putting an Xbox through the Component board when it arrives, and am thinking of getting the JS box too (although I won't be able to use PIP with that combination - bah!).

Thanks

30. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    plasma would be for sale if that happened Joe........................or maybe sell to somebody else from Scotland who's been posting on here with the nic.....Albertz :rolleyes:

horny - i'm sure you would have got rid of the 3 page Tiny advert........then again money talks................where's there review of the Tiny screens :confused:

black - you're getting addicted to this forum..........just like me..........hope you're band doesn't end up like Busted.

can't help i'm afraid.................was going to buy the scart.................but took advice on the converter from Joe etc.............either way it was going to cost £100+.............i'm more than happy with it......................could you order the converter..........compare the two and send it back if you can't see the diff?

got sky to VGA port
    dvd to component board

just ordered a PS2 to see what its like on the plasma.....................going to use component for that too and switch through my amp.

disappointed on PQ on DVD at first, but had a 3 1/2 year old DVD player...........plan was to get HDMI board, plus S97 DVD player........but thats out the window for obvious reasons..............bought a £70 Tosh 340 for a stopgap just now.................better PQ, see what happens with the new technology

used DVE to try and set up the component board...............nightmare with a hangover..................... better with Monsters Inc THX calibration for me.

cheers, tam