Panasonic PW7 Plasma (HDMI/DVI)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JamesL, Feb 9, 2005.

1. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Anyone got the standard def Panasonic PW7 with either HDMI or DVI-HDCP? What DVD player do you use? I am looking to spend around £500 (at a push upto £800) on a decent DVD player. Looking at current favourites 2910 and 3910 (see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1456273#post1456273 ) but what other options are there? Arcam, Marantz, Pioneer? I like the look of the 868i but I hear it doesn't work with HDMI Panasonic and that the component is poor? Can anyone comment?

2. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you considered the Panasonic S97? Good luck with obtaining an HDMI card...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    forget DVi/HDMI gp component from something like a DV88+/89 or another TOP component player.
    Creative audio has some great offers on Arcam kit

4. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Pio 868 AVis and have connected via DVI. The picture quality is better, than component on PAL but not NTSC disks (go figure). It also takes ages to detect and display the image. In the end I've reverted back to Component - I don't know if the HDMI card is any better?

As neither the DVI or HDMI are 720p at 50hz, you'll get the same res as you will via component. If you don't mind some of the pitfalls of the Farouja chip the image is as good as digital......go for a 2910. you should get one for 500.

5. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ta for the replies guys. If I just ask one or two more ?s

I was looking at the Arcams. The DV89 seems an excellent choice - how does it compare with the Arcam DV79 or the Denon 3910? If would like HDMI as, even if it is poor on the Panny, I may well get a projector in the future.

How do you find the component picture from the 868?

6. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think it is very good......I view the 3910 and 868 on a Pio 434 plasma. I thought the 3910 shaded it just on component, but the 868 was noticably better via HDMI. I chose the 868 after reading the problems people have had with the Denon decks, plus on one of the demo disks I took (Taxi) macroblocking was evident in the sky on the very first scene!