1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW7 Disappointment??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by j.moghisi, Apr 19, 2005.

1. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I hooked my new Panasonic TH42PWD7 plasma all up to my PCs..........and images are amazing at 1600X1200

BUT the desktop, text, etc look AWFUL?!?! Is this supposed to be like this? I remember an older Panasonic where I could see the desktop easily. On this new screen, it seems grainy, even down at 1280X1024 (although substantially less)

I used a Geforce 4 Go and a GeForce Go 5650.......both on top of the range Centrino laptops. I doubt it is the VGA cards, as the 5650 is supposed to be reasonably good!

Is there a specific setting?

A bit off topic, but is there a RCA to 2 BNC cable for Composite Video. I have an RCA Connector on the VCR but 2 BNCs on the board (for IN and OUT)?

Thanks loads for any advice.......

cya

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    can't help on the first bit mate as I don't use mine with the pc (how close are you though?)...but those extra 2 bnc connectors are for vertical and horizontal sync....the composite in is an rca connector lke on your vcr...have you got the dual component / composite board?

3. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Composite/S-Video Board with a SEPERATE Component Board. Both are BNC. The Composite inputs are 2 BNCs, one for input and one for output.

I have An RCA-RCA Cable with an adpater to connect to the BNC Input. However, I can't connect the Output at the same time. Do I need to even do this? What is the output for?

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    aah ok, sorry.....well you will only only need to coneect to the in......and you can get a rca to bnc adapter (i've got one i can send you if you like)....the out must be some sort of pass through to another monitor i would think

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The output is to run another monitor, leave it unless you wish to use this feature. Windows desktop on SD plasmas, yes it's a bit rough isn't it. Try 1280/720, the screen has specific algorithms for this resolution, and it maintains the aspect ratio of your icons. Still won't be really peachy mind, it's 852 x 480 native, like most budget end plasma displays. You need an HD screen to make consistent use of a PC for text etc. It should be bearable at 1280/720 though. Running native res will be pin sharp, but of course 480 dots high is not really enough for XP, even the screen properties box is bigger than that, sometimes you can't even see the 'ok' button to click it, bummer.

6. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW, gr8 help

Is it possible on most VCRs to output the video via Composite while Recording off the Scart Terminals.

Moreover, If I got a 1to2 Scart Switcher, could I record to teh VCR using just 1 Scart socket but two sources?

Thanks again!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll be able to output what you are recording I should think, yes. Composite won't be very special, but hey, it's still a picture, just don't stare too hard, and it's the best youll achieve from a normal VHS anyway. A 2 way switch would effectively 'add' another scart socket to the VCR, a common thing to do.

8. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any 2 way scart switchers that you could recommend? (sorry for asking soo much of you!! but you've been a gr8 help so far)

There are some on eBay for £5!!???

cya

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Try 1024 x 576 @60hz, and enable large font, large icons and clear type font.

lisa

10. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmz......that res is a tad small for my likings, sorry Lisa. Although the images is MUCH sharper. If I had a DVI Input would it make any difference as such?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not a huge amount. I have DVI, the difference between DVI and VGA is small, an the resolutions accepted is a bit restrictive.

12. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ohhh, nevermind....I never thought I'd say this but I was actually expecting more from the PW7!!!

I just gotta find out what that Panasonic Screen was that I saw....It was beautiful!

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Have you calibrated?
    I have two settings for my PC input via DVI, one for windows and one for films, they are quite different, and text becomes a lot sharper with proper contrast/brightness/sharpness etc adjustment.
    A DVE disc will do the trick (if you have a spare few hours) but you probably should wait for the first 200 hours to pass...
    lisa

14. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the PW7 is an 852 x 480 resolution screen. You are fundamentally not going to get any better resolution from the screen no matter what settings you use. Even the high def plasmas are only 1024 x 768 so even if you had an HD screen you wouldnt be able to get the resolutions you are after.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need a Sharp LC45 mate, 1920x1080. But at 4.5k it damned well ought to be. That's about the same per pixel surely? The results with a PC on the PHD 7 are excellent, or the Pio MXE1, both XGA. I have a PHD7 currently. Simple maths, as NJR says, tells you there are simply not enough pixels for what you want to achieve. Not the plasmas' fault, it's just not really intended for permanent PC use, it makes an excellent video display though. Some folks are more than happy even with a PC as you see. I don't think calibration will help you enough for satisfaction. Sorry.