Panasonic PW6

samhain

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have had this plasma for a while now and there is something that has always slightly annoyed me about it.

The whites are really really really white, glare if you like. Don't think it's blooming, just a bit white.

Can I do anything to rectify this.

what settings are you using?....cinema/normal/dynamic? contrast?....brightness? Advanced colour settings?

Out of the box settings will have the colour temperature at about 8500 kelvins (when it should be 6500 kelvins). Result - overly blue picture. Proper calibration will sort this out.

Piers, do you only calibrate in the area you live?

:)

But seriously though, does he only operate in his area?

Normal
Contrast 8
Brightness -6
Sharpness 11
White Balance Normal
Advanced Settings on
Input level 0
w/b high R -9
w/b High B 0
w/b Low R -10
w/b Low B 0
Gamma 2.2
AGC off

something Ive just found when I used a white test chart. I had to drop "input level" to the lowest it would go and then set contrast/brightness.

once I had lowered it I was able to distinguish shades of white without just one big white rectangle.

give that a try

samhain said:
Normal
Contrast 8
Brightness -6
Sharpness 11
White Balance Normal
Advanced Settings on
Input level 0
w/b high R -9
w/b High B 0
w/b Low R -10
w/b Low B 0
Gamma 2.2
AGC off

I'm no expert but have had a few panny's. I would try swapping contrast to a - setting and brightness to a low + setting.......sharpness seems a bit high btw ......try gamma at 2.5 and if you have black extension try that at 2 or 3.......not sure about your other advanced settings but I've always kept them at 0.

Geordie Jester said:
something Ive just found when I used a white test chart. I had to drop "input level" to the lowest it would go and then set contrast/brightness.

once I had lowered it I was able to distinguish shades of white without just one big white rectangle.

give that a try

i think that means the output on your source is too high

Panzer,

MEP seems to be acting as my unpaid salesman - what he says is correct - I travel throughout the UK.

Samhain,

The white balance settings in the advanced settings menu really need serious test equipment to be able to set up. If you can do them by eye you have my very real respect! Your sharpness setting looks very suspect.

Geordie J,

I agree with MEP. If you are having to change the input level then your source is broken. 0 should be correct, then adjust contrast / brightness - test patterns for CRT TVs don't work with fixed pixel displays like plasmas.

hmmm...... I thought it meant the DVD signal was coming in too high and so the plasma was having to just clip to white.

is this not something that should ever happen with working correctl player? I just thought it might vary or something

I used a large jpg image that had levels of RGB white from 255 to 255-64. dropping the input level managed to break out the indivual boxes to a distinguishable point.

will it do any harm to the plasma if I leave ?

Piers said:
Panzer,

MEP seems to be acting as my unpaid salesman - what he says is correct - I travel throughout the UK.

:D just a happy customer

Geordie Jester said:
hmmm...... I thought it meant the DVD signal was coming in too high and so the plasma was having to just clip to white.

is this not something that should ever happen with working correctl player? I just thought it might vary or something

I used a large jpg image that had levels of RGB white up to 64. dropping the input level managed to break out the indivual boxes to a distinguishable point.

will it do any harm to the plasma if I leave ?

can't you adjust the picture settings on the dvd player?

Piers said:
Geordie J,

I agree with MEP. If you are having to change the input level then your source is broken. 0 should be correct, then adjust contrast / brightness - test patterns for CRT TVs don't work with fixed pixel displays like plasmas.

Piers, it's funny you say that, but I have just gone from a PHD6 to a PHD8 and I have had to drop the input sensitiviy down to -17 going in RGBhv, everything going into the screen is exactly the same. I quickly tried my iiyama monitor and that was fine with the same signal!
I really don't know why that would be, any ideas?

mep said:
I'm no expert but have had a few panny's. I would try swapping contrast to a - setting and brightness to a low + setting.......sharpness seems a bit high btw ......try gamma at 2.5 and if you have black extension try that at 2 or 3.......not sure about your other advanced settings but I've always kept them at 0.

without any calibration yet (100h) only by eye

I am damned close to your settings :)

input level is - 5

regards
mine

I reckon Panasonic have just upped the sensitivity of the input level to give the screen more brightness so they can put "20% brighter!" in their specs. :)

The input I am using is the VGA. Can the input level be adjusted at VGA level?

yes it can stu, in the advanced settings......Gonna try trurning mine down tonight now!

oh just for the hell of it :).....didn't seem to make much difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom