Panasonic PW6 - where to view in Enfield area?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by The Belgain, Oct 30, 2004.

1. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I'm looking at getting myself a plasma at some point in the near future, and after doing some research here and at avsforum, and am coming to the conclusion that the Panny PW6 is probably the best buy at the moment (cheapest I've found is £1599 - at RS, and a few other places).

Now I went round to my local Audio-T to have a look at plasmas, and they had an NEC 42VP4 which they demoed me with a high end DVD-player hooked up, and playing Two Towers DVD. I was pretty impressed with the screen, but it seems that the Panny is a little more popular here, especailly for it's contrast ratio, which is the main thing I thought could be better on the NEC.

Does anyone know where around Enfield there are shops who stock the PW6, and would be able to demo it? I obviously have to try before i buy... What chains are good for this other what RicherSounds (which I may end up having to drive to in the end...)?

Any other models I should be looking at? I'm already stretching my budget here, so as cheap as possible, but I don't want to go for a no-name manufacturer and be disappointed...

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    www.av-sales.com are in kent and PWD6 is £1580 inc delivery and terminal board.........Pounds in enfeild should have a PW6 but give Av-sales a call they are in kent and well worth a drive/phonecall.......................

3. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the panny is down to £1499 at RS.....

But before you rush out and place the order av sales have it at £1580 including scart board. these are £150 quid extra at RS.
    I ordered mine today from av sales and will be delivered tuesday, excellent advice on the phone they did not try to selll me anything i didnt want and reminded me of the extra bits i needed.
    I saw the pw6 in RS leeds yesterday and even though it was in the worst location ever to view it was better than most others in the shop.
    Recommend it and recommend av sales for the purchase.
    Hope this helps.

LIDDERS

4. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So its not just me that is an av sales fan?

And i say this having had to wait ages for a call back.

they couldnt have been more apologetic or helpful!

LIDDERS

5. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My local Tesco now has 18 PW6's hanging from the ceilings all around the store showing off promo DVD's offers etc. (Yes counting them is a bit sad) But they do look fantastic! Hope to have the dosh saved up for one in about 3 months :clap:

6. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another question is; is this a good time to be buying a plasma? The prices have been dropping very quickly over the past year, are they levelling out or are they going to keep dropping? And how about the quality of the screens? Are they still improving rapidly?

Basically, I'd like to get one soonish, but don't want to turn round in 6-9 months time and see that I can get a significantly better screen for £1000.. Also, I've pretty much relectantly come to the conclusion that I can't get an HD (well... XGA) screen in my pricerange. Is it likely that I will be able to soon (with so much HD material available now, it seems a shame not to be able to take advantage of it...).

7. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right... well I went to Pounds near Enfield, and they no londer to the PW6 screens. Also, their prices on other screens were just extortionate (£3k for a PW7!).

So it's looking like Richer Sounds are the only option really. Not too bad a drive I guess. About 20 miles though (the nearest one seems to be the one in Farringdon. Av-Sales seem very good, and I'd consider buying from them, but it's just too long a drive to go and demo it there.

The other thing is, most places seem to have it only in black. I think siver screens do look nicer. The only place I've found it in silver so far is digital-point.co.uk. for £1649 inc free component board. Have people had good experiences with them?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if silver is a must then i suggest you swallow hard and get the PW7 from AV-sales mate £2k or buy a PWD6 and get the bezel sprayed............ I went from Cardiff to Kent to check out AV-Sales operation so enfield really isnt that far............ plenty of other places tho (with similarly high prices....) Musical images etc but i would either order blind as most people do or go down to kent and see if they wont knock a bit off if pick it up while you are there?
    PS I think Digital point silver units are Spanish/German Mainland Europe stock not UK stock..... Dont get pannys AT Home warranty with European stock

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you are looking at the Panasonic's, then it is a very good time to be buying as the PW6 is only at these prices because it is discontinued.

I don't think that is going to happen. But plasmas will improve, and the prices will edge down - probably not that significantly though.

Two things that will happen fairly soon - HD broadcasts (so it's worth getting a set that can handle HD inputs, even if it isn't necessarily a HD panel), and SED will hit the market. SED has the potential to tear apart the market - contrast/brightness of a CRT, lower power usage than Plasma, LCD or CRT, in a wall-mountable panel.

10. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll go down and have a look at the PW6 in action at RS tomorrow at some point.

Is the PW7 very different to the PW6? Is there a big improvement in term of quality or not? It's really starting to stretch my budget going for one of those, so I think I'll probably stick with the PW6 unless anyone can give me a reason not to...?

As for silver or black, I'm not massively bothered I think, but it's just that silver looks more stylish to me. Just a question of taste obviously. People don't seem to be too positive about Digital-Point on the whole; any particular reason? They don't seem to mention anything on their site about their stock coming from outside the UK... They have the PW6 in silver for £1649, or the PW7 in sliver for £1799, both of which seem like very good prices. They also have pretty good prices on a component board + stand (£200).

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    They wont but last member who bought one got European stock not UK......+ They dont know there arse from there elbow......... HDMI board and someslight improvements in phosphur are the main differences...... not really worth it if budget is tight IMO...However PW6 stock is going to dry up soon... then there will be no other option...

12. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, I've read some posts on this forum about Digital-Point, and it seems it's really not a good idea buying from them.

Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells the silver ones? For this amount of money, I'd really rather have exactly what I want, rather than having to settle for black. On the other hand, I don't really want to be spending a premium on a PW7 simply because I want a different coloured screen... There doesn't seem to be very much difference at all between the two PW6 and PW7 as far as I can make out...

Any suggestions places that do silver ones at a reasonable price would be most welcome... :)