1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW6 vs PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eastern72, Feb 1, 2004.

1. eastern72

eastern72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the PW6 and PWD6? I was planning to get a PW6 in silver, but after reading some of the threads on here it seems that the PWD6 is the same thing, but in black only (and about £500 cheaper).

I need to connect Sky digital + DVD player (Jamo) only.

Thanks.

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    TH-50PHD5B or TH-50PHD5BX (or TH-50PHW5B or TH-50PHW5BX) means British edition, also to be seen are TH-50PHD5E (European) or TH-50PHD5U (USA) and other letters too; this part of the code signifies country. If it doesn't say B or BX at the end it probably means that it's imported from European mainland, and will have different warrenty conditions.

Additionall, TH-50PHD5 or TH-50PHW5 with letter D or W means colour of bezel, where D is black and W is silver and A means silver with speakers.

Finally, TH-42PHD6 vs TH-42PW6 is resolution where H means High Definition and absence of H means Standard Definition.

Therefore code is:

TH-[screensize]P[resolution][bezel-colour][generation][country]

I think the P is for PAL, T is for television, H is for plasma (x for CRT or LCD).

The only difference between a "W" and "D" is the colour, although you may have to buy a component input or other card for the black model (it may only have a VGA connection). So, you may have to buy an input card, but they are less than £500. Aks you dealer what connection you will get with screen.

StooMonster

3. eastern72

eastern72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - appreciated.

4. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Stoomonster,

Thank you for an excellent response, which sums up most of what I have been trying to work out for sometime now.

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I am gonna get the black version too, so far the best price I've seen is around £2700 with stand and scart board.

6. eastern72

eastern72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried a dozen+ web retailers.

Best price I've got for screen (silver) + wall moun t + component video card is about £3k

Nexnix looks quite a bit cheaper for a black version

Undecided......

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Common dealers are:

www.nexnix.co.uk
    www.av-sales.co.uk
    www.ivojo.co.uk

All are well regarded here and should be able to price match each other to supply a PWD6(Grey)+Wall Mount+Terminal Board for £2.5-2.7k and PW6(Silver)+Wall Mount+Terminal Board for 3k

Not a great deal of difference between, so comes down to the look/finish you prefer really...

JJ

8. Panny6

Panny6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reson for the price differential is that the black PWD6 is a commercial screen originally marketed to shops/businesses, wheras the Silver PW6 is a consumer screen marketed to home users.

This means that the black one is sold by a different division of Panasonic to the silver one, so I guess that discount rates apply.

One previous models, the level of shielding was less on the black then the silver (Class A vs Class B), but I think that they are the same on the new 6 series screens.