Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic PW6 - Scaling Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Gizmo 76, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Hi all,

Last night when playing on PES4 on my Xbox, I was waiting for a game on LIVE and had my PW6 in P.I.P Mode. I was watching Normal TV one side, while leaving the other with my Xbox display showing.

Now my Xbox has been soft-modded and most games run in 480p mode, which looks great on the plasma. Upon switching between what was the main source in P.I.P. mode I noticed an increase in picture quality. When the Xbox was the main display the TV picture appeared sharper and brighter, admittively it was causing a judder as it was in a NTSC mode, but the picture quality was good.

So this got me thinking, so I tried the US copy of Spiderman 2 Superbit to see if there was a significant increase in quality, and there was. Attached to this post are 2 pictures from P.I.P split screen mode, one is with the DVD as the main input, the other with the Xbox.

I assume these are the sort of improvement you would expect from adding a scaler into your setup, but is the screen itself not capable of upscaling the image to 480p on it's own?, can it not be forced to display in this sort of mode someway?? Maybe I should get hold of a 720p game to see if there's an additional improvement.

I'm pretty definite the answer is no to the screen doing this itself, but the improvement to my eyes is really good, and has got me thinking about my next upgrade :laugh:

Hope the above all made some kind of sense. Anyone got any thoughts on the subject.

Giz.

Attached Files:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    are you saying that in PIP mode it looks better or XBOX looks better than DVD on full screen? 480p is native for screen PAL 576p has to be downscaled to fit the 480 vertical rows of pixels, a scaler will make a big difference (Iscan HD/ lumagen etc) but how much depends on your idea of VFM £800+ for a scaler 50% of the screen price is a hard one to guage.....

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I'll try and explain again :D

When I have my Xbox as the main input (e.g. on the left side of the screen with the sound coming from the screen), and the DVD as the secondary picture (on the right hand side). The image produced on the DVD picture is sharper, with more fine detail, and just overall a improved picture. I assume this is because of whatever mode the screen has gone into to display the Xbox picture.

When I press the 'Swap' button, and make the whole scenario the opposite way round. The DVD picture (which is now on the left) is still good, but it a softer image, and this is obviously the image I get when watching the film.

The original attached images were taken with all the same camera settings, and I just took a picture of the DVD side of the screen each time, and then cropped in photoshop. The first image is the DVD as the main input (what i'd see when it's full screen), and the second is with the Xbox as the main input.

You can see extra detail, the ear ring, gaps between her teeth, fine hair etc.......

I'm new to all this scaling knowledge, so basically both these inputs are a 480p picutre anyways, but for some reason whatever screen mode the PW6 goes into when running the Xbox, appears to produce the better picture than the mode it goes into when running the DVD.

Both are connected though their own component boards, the Xbox being RCA and the DVD though a BNC type one.

Does that make anymore sense, I'm starting to confused myself now :suicide:

Giz.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    could be down to the cards... I would have said its the smaller image makes it appear sharper but not the case.. if not the same when reversed...very odd