1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW6, Denon 1905 Amp, Pioneer DVD575A, Sky+ & PS2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MillionDollar, Nov 13, 2004.

1. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just found this site and spent the whole day reading through threads. I am unfortunatley non the wiser as to how to connect my proposed system. My flat will be built soon and I would like to have everything ordered.

I have ordered the
    Denon 1905 AV-amp
    Pioneer DVD 575A
    Mission M30 cinema package.

Sky+ will be installed

PS2 is on order

I was planning to buy the PW6 and have the component input board. Richer Sounds made it sound so easy, but after talking to other shops and seeing this site I see otherwise.

Please can someone help me on what I should buy to make my system work the best.

And please explain it simple.

:confused:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you get a component video converter for sky+ you will be able to switch all your inputs via the amp, which offers component video inputs, 3 I think. Then you cad ditch the component board, richers don't sell them anyay, they will likely sell you a Toshiba one which is in fact the same, but might invalidate your warranty. You can connect component video to the VGA port on the PW6 with the right cable, 3 phono to 15pin sub D, simple to use, best picture available, or all but anyway. The other alternative is to use a video upconverting amp, like the Onkyo 602, connect sky+ with s-video to the amp, then proceed with plan A. This eliminates the component converter, but of course the amp costs more. It comes with funky features like independent zone 2, and better, higher power, 7.1 surround, a serious amp. There is a very slight loss of PQ using this method, but far from shabby.

3. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi maw

can you please clarify? are you saying that component to the VGA port results in better picture quality than component to the component video board?

cheers

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No, hes saying that the PW6 can take a component signal via the VGA port, if you change it in the options menu, which saves you having to buy a component board. Your still doing component to component connection, just with a different lead

5. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks leigh

yeah i do know that the vga port on the pw6 can accept component signals, im just not sure what he meant when he said "best picture available" when he was describing the component-to-vga cabling option

what about you? do you think that it will yield better PQ routing it to the VGA port rather than the component board or will it be just the same? by the way, if the thread starter wishes to buy one of the PW6 with free board of choice, how can the component-to-vga route saves him from buying a component board if he's gonna get it free? (unless of course he's getting another board that's more impt for his application)...can it be swapped with a different item, say a wall mount or something?

cheers :)

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They both mean that the quality will be the same whether you use the VGA input for component or a separate component board - 'cos they're both using component!
    By the way, you can still save money if you buy it from AV Sales 'cos if you don't need the "free" board they knock £80 off the price, and if you pick it up yourself they knock another £50 off = £1450

Simon

7. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what I think your saying is (correct me if i'm wrong) that I should connect my system the following way:

DVD to Denon AV Amp connect via Component
    ALSO
    Sky+ to Denon AV Amp connect via Component
    Also
    New Slim Playstation 2 to AV Amp Connect via Component????

Then a component cable out from the Denon AV amp to an Component Video Converter the From that device into The Panny PW6 RGB Input (PC/Component) Mini D-sub 15-pin x 1.

Is that all correct?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No converter needed, just the right cable. it has 3 phonos on one end and a vga plug on the other. You then press set up in the remote, and top option is VGA/component. Easy, cheap, must be right. The converter is between sky and the amp.

9. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW

What is this cable called? how much and where from?
    Have you got a web link to the converter you suggest?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll find the cable at the bottom of this page, 3 phonos on one end, 15pin VGA on the other. THe converter I use is this one, it's not he cheapest, it's the best. Lecktropacks do a cheaper one, I can promise you can tell the difference.

11. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Does this guy require a converter or not? I ask this question because you and others have suggested above that no converter required just the right cables i.e. 3 RCA > 15 Pin VGA Cable, however there is a link to a converter that you use or a cheaper one from Lecktropacks.

Does he require a converter or not, or is it a matter of preference? Should he decide to opt for a converter, will that make a significant difference to the picture quality?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    He, and others similar, need to convert the RGB scart output of sky or sky+, or any other set top box, into component video to connect it to the amp for switching. That's the converter bit.Then the dvd connects with component video, and the amp can then switch inputs for video and sound simultaneosly, needing only 1 remote button press, and with top quality video signal. You connect component video out on the amp to the screen, that's what the funny cable is for. As an alternative, you could get a better amp, say an Onkyo TSXR602e, which upconverts all video inputs to component. Now connect sky+ with S-video to the amp, and it does the biz and outputs it as component, down the funny cable to the screen. There is a slight loss of quality here, s-video is not quite as good as RGB or component, but the difference is not huge. The upside of this way is that the cost is about the same but you get a really serious amp, 7.1 surround with big output, and an option for a powered 2nd stereo zone. It still doesn't stop you using a component converter for best available quality now or later, and has 3 component inputs and a bucket load of s inputs. Just to be clear, whilst it converts s to component, it doesn't add any missing information, how could it, so you get a fractional loss of quality over using an RGB to component converter. If you are an AV virgin, you are unlikely to notice, and the converter will make a lovely Christmas present from your dearest.

13. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I may have made a boob as I have also bought the denon 1905 and PW6 but also bought the JS- RGB - VGA convertor and got component board with BNC connection for PW6. So thinking about it now i can bypass amp completely for video by connecting DVD through component out and into plasma and SKY through the JS convertor and onto VGA input on plasma. So amp would be for audio only... What do people recommend i could also go through amp with both but don't know if there is any advantage

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The advantage of going through the amp is to have 1 cable to the screen, and no need to change inputs. On the PW6 you also need no video board, though I reckon through efforts here panasonic have taken this feature off the PW7 to prop up flagging sales of video boards!

15. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right The guys at AV-Sales has given me the following suggestion:

Total £1,965.76

PS111 Panasonic TH-42PWD6 42" plasma. (Inc Free Board) (Black)
    PSA179C Panasonic TY-42TM6AB BNC Component Video Terminal Board
    £1,580.00

CA070 JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA
    £126.99

CA037 3m Cable HD 15 pin VGA Plug to HD 15 pin VGA Plug
    £26.09

CA023B 3m Vandamme Cable 3 RCA to 3 BNC (Component/RGB)
    £52.44

CA102 J S Technology Master Commander
    £55.23

PSA072 Slimline Tilting Wall Mount
    £125.01

What do you think?