1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW6 Connection Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gizmo 76, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi all,

I'm ordering my PW6 on Monday from AV-Sales, can't wait :clap:

I just have a query about the SCART side of things, upon reading threads tonight it seems that the Scart Terminal Board produces a soft picture and using the JS RGB to VGA Convertor seems to be the best way around the problem.

I would need to connect my PS2 (RGB), Gamecube (RGB), Saturn (RGB), and VCR (compositive). Would I have any issues with using 4 into 1 Scart connector (RGB Compatible) before they get connected to this convertor. As I believe this convertor device only has 1 Scart input?!? I presumme the VGA Cable won't carry sound, but I can run audio leads to either the Plasma or to my amp from the convertor, correct??

In the end I will probably lose the VCR out of the equation and replace with a Freeview box to hopefully improve the picture some more. I never record TV as it is. . . . . . .

So basically what i'm asking is, would I be better off not ordering a 'Scart Terminal Board', and instead getting the 'RGB to VGA Convertor and a VGA connection lead'??

My other two devices that will be connected will be a XBox and a Denon 2900 DVD Player, these will both have their own component input as I don't want them going though my amp at this time.

Any help will be gratefully received as I'm new to the whole plasma game!!

Cheers,

Giz.

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Good Morning all,

One more question to add to the above.

I'm using a Denon 2803 Receiver which doesn't have an audio delay option, will I notice many 'Picture out of sync with the sound' type issues?? Amp Upgrade isn't due for another 12 months :rolleyes:

Denon 2900 DVD player will be connected straight to the Plasma by Component leads, and the Amp is fed straight from the DVD with a Coaxial Cable.

Cheers again.

Giz

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You shouldn't have any problem running your RGB sources through the 4 into 1 scart switch provided that it supports RGB. The JS converter does indeed only have one scart input and it does have audio outputs which you can connect to your amp.

The RGB to VGA converter gives a marginally sharper picture than going via a scart input board (and you save the cost of the board, but obviously have the extra cost of the converter and a VGA cable). Get a really good VGA cable to get the best from the converter.

Lip sync will sadly be a problem, and if you are sensitive to it being out it will drive you to distraction!

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering
    www.homecinemaengineering.com
    (and I've got the converters and cables in stock!)

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers Piers,

Thanks for your comments, so the RGB to VGA convertor, will carry the compositive signal from my VCR ok? Not only RGB Signals!!

My 4 into 1 Scart Adaptor is totally RGB compatible, been using it for the last year odd.

The audio delay, i'll have to leave for a few weeks, but as I sit so close (9Ft away), I believe I might be able to trick the amp by increasing all the distances of speakers in the setup settings. I'm sure there is a thread around somewhere for the mathmatical equations for trying this.

Thanks again,

Giz.

5. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was of the impression that the JS RGB to VGA unit would only handle RGB not Composite??

Mike

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I'm not 100% sure, but after reading this from the av-sales website . . . .

. . . . to me it sounds like it should be ok with a composite signal, I will be upgrading to freeview within a week or 2, so I would just have to survive without normal TV if it didn't work.

Cheers for your reply,

Giz

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    th JS RGB to VGA box does what it says
    RGB to VGA, NO COMPOSITE, NO S-VIDEO
    how hard is that to understand?

You need a SCART terminal board to do what you want.

8. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks for your reply, what you say makes perfect sense, if not put in the best way!!

Other statements i've read didn't sound totally certain, this is why the doubt was put in my mind . . . . . .

So if i'm to use my VCR and N64 a Scart Terminal Board is what i'm gonna need, sorted cheers. Way over budget now, maybe will leave the VGA Convertor side of things until my funds increase again!! :zonked:

Once again cheers,

Giz

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you don't really need the VGA converter, I have SCART terminal and JS VGA converter
    viewing pictures side by side I can just spot the difference. But without the comparison, wouldn't be able to say. (I have to agree with MAW, there really isn't that much difference)
    Of course, using 2 inputs does allow me to play Picture in Picture games.

10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I've just gone for it now, got the lot :laugh: No food or drink for a week!!

If I can't connect everything now then . . . . . suicide:

The P.I.P. side of things will work out well like you said, and at least this way I have just the right amount of Scart spiliters to sort out my PS2, Gamecube, Saturn, forthcoming Freeview into the RGB>VGA and my VCR, and N64. into the Scart socket.

Really should get rid of some of my old older consoles :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Giz.