1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW6 composite input problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TerryJones, Jul 30, 2004.

1. TerryJones

TerryJones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rarely use the composite input on my Panasonic (I have everything running through a scart board) however when I have tried it the picture is incredibly bright and cannot be toned down to anything like a sensible level. From a Sky digibox the status bar is so bright that the grey time display is not readable on the white background even with the brightness on minimum. It's the same when I plug in a digi camera or handycam. The SVGA input on the same board works fine from handycam or laptop SVGA port, not sure about the component inputs as I don't have anything with component out.... Any ideas? I have thought about taking the board out and re-inserting it but feel that this s unlikely to make any difference.

Terry

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Are you using a separate composite input? Maybe try using your scart connection instead using one of those Scart plugs that turns the scart into a composite input, I don't think they cost much and are readily available, I used to use one for my PS2 before I got a plasma.

I have my DVD and PS2 via component, but have my NTL through RGB Scart, then I have my VCR connected to the NTL STB, and have the said composite converter in the passthru of my VCR. The net result is when I'm using my Scart input on the plasma I get the following options:
    NTL on then I get an RGB NTL signal
    NTL off/VCR on I get the composite VCR signal for either a video or as an analogue tuner (just in case NTL ever crashes or anything)
    NTL off/VCR off I get whatever composite input is plugged into the VCR

I do it like this because I leave my amps setup display plugged in and I don't often need to use anything else. However you could also use the composite inputs at the front of your VCR if you will be swapping and changing the source a lot.

If you haven't got a VCR then just plugged said converter into whatever spare scart passthru you have on your system.

This doesn't really answer your question, but may be a workaround, just a thought ;)

3. TerryJones

TerryJones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a hookup problem, everyting routes through a Trilogy box to the SCART board. Composite playback through the SCART works fine (my VCR plays that way)... I'm more wondering if my other input board, the double slot composite/svideo/component type, is faulty. As I said I have only tried it a few times as I don't have anything with component out yet but when I do it isn't a great success.....

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood your question. I have this board but I've never tried to using the composite slot to be honest. I only use the component inputs and have no problem with those. By SVGA do you mean S-Video? Because they share a connection, you can use either S-Video or Composite but not both at once. All I can suggest is try reseating it and see if it makes a difference. This board can use either slots 1 & 2 or 2 & 3, if you've got no other boards connected try and use the opposite slots to what you're using now. I'm not sure but that should assign the S-Video/Composite connections to a different slot (so will be either Input1 or Input2 on the display). May not make a difference but may help you determine whether it's a problem with the plasma or with the terminal board. Remember thoug if you have another board connected (I have scart too) they wont work in all the slots, for example Scart can't go in slot 3 so I have to have my component board in slots 2 & 3.

5. red1703

red1703
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need to terminate the monitor out on the composite video board with a BNC terminator. This should solve the problem with the brightness