1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, Oct 20, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Need advice on this please.

I have been offered a brand new 42PW5 in silver for £2k inc the wall bracket. I am seriously tempted to take the plasma plunge now as it sounds like a good price and the PW5 although an old model had some good writeups in this forum. It's a one unit left offer and if I dont take it a friend of mine will. Ideally I would like to get one of the new pioneers but unfortunately they are double the price !

My question is - what else do I need to buy to get the plasma running with my system ? I have a DVD player with component out will shortly will be upgrading to sky plus and my AV processor (TAG) only has s-video switching. I know you can get various cards to go into the back of a plasma but do I need any of these ? If so which one ?To be honest I find it all very confusing - is my best bet just to buy the tuner and forget about the rest ?

Thanks

2. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rags,

not really necessary for the tuner as you have sky plus, there is no point on having analogue feed aswell, and to be honest it would be an expensive and not ideal way around it.

I would probably recommend component card for DVD player (presumably through AMP), RGB scart for Sky plus (unless it outputs component then get another one) and if you have a games console or anything else then switch them through s-video on the amp.

This will at least get the system running with direct feeds for 2 most important items.

Others may recommend a switching box (quintro) or the likes, but they can still be added later. You never know you may be happy without it.

Good Luck and go for it....i just bought 6 series panny and am over the moon!!!!!!!