1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PW5 Input board question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kwakr, Sep 19, 2005.

1. kwakr

kwakr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right gents, I'm shipping out to the US with work for a couple of years and wish to take my old but much loved Panny PW5 screen with me.

Here in UK i run it off the optional Tuner box with the associated input card inserted in the screen. Only issue I foresee is the screen will run at 50/60 Hz, so with a step up transformer out in the States - I should be set.

The tuner box however states only 50 Hz input - so I think I may be out of luck. I know it will use a different standard for tuner frequnecies, but I don't use the inbuilt tuner anyway - simply the myriad of inputs it allows and feed it with an RGB signal from the sky+.

Given the need to provide input to the screen - anyone have any ideas what other boards I can search for - given age of the display I may well be out of luck - but this option seems worthy of exhausting before I bite the bullet and have to cough for a new screen out there.

To clarify the setup currently comprises :

TH42PW5BX Screen
    TY-42TM5H tuner input board
    TU-PT600 - Tuner box

Cheers,
    Paul

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The tuner box was not one of Panasonics better pieces of kit! Once you ditch it you will see what your panel can do. In the States good satellite set top boxes tend to be either s-video, or component out. If you are going to take the panel with you I suggest you investigate the source devices first then decide what input card you need and whether one can still be found (which I expect won't be a problem).

3. kwakr

kwakr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for prompt repsonse. I figure a component input will be favourite as most of the devices I recently browsed around on a recon trip offered this ouput.

Would anyone know what boards are compatible across the ranges- I've read the 6 and 7 versions seem to be mostly interchangeable - is this true for the 5's and any others ? There's a TM4YB on Ebay but I suspect from the naming conventions this will likely only be for a PW4 screen.

I'll try Panasonic themselves tomorrow - but expect the usual "it's not listed so it can't work" will be the repsonse - or "it's discontinued ... would you like to buy a current model" :)

Thanks again.
    Paul

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    From the online PWD5 manual on Panasonic's site:

compatible accessories

BNC Terminal Board.................................. TY-42TM4YB

I don't guarantee that it will be OK but I would bet good money on it.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can guarantee that's the right one.