Panasonic PV60(PX60) buzzing

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by mike72, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´ve now had a PV60 (PX60 without dvb-t) for a week, and even though I can hear the fans, they are not disturbing me.

But I can hear some kind of buzzing from the sides of the tv - it can be heard clearly when I stand next to the tv, but should not disturb 10 feet away. I guess it´s the power supply.

However, I can hear a very high frequency sound, which bothers me (but not anybody else at home)

I´ve spoken to the Panasonic repair shop, and they offered to pick it up and treat it with some kind of spray/silicone.

In a PV500 thread about buzzing some people mentioned the same as far as I recall.

My question is: Has anybody experienced that this kind of treatment has actually helped? I could also get it replaced, but my feeling is that they are all the same (have listened to a couple of sets in the store)

I have also considered swapping it to a PA50 (PE50) because perhaps the lower plasma cell count mean that the power-supply doesn´t have to work as hard. It would be a sad decision, because in every other way, this is a fantastic set.

What do you think?

2. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a PV500, and the buzz off it at first was quite loud, especially on bright scenes.

However, this has now reduced and is hardly noticeable.

I'd say yours may do the same. Well, hopefully anyway.

I want this new Pana :(

3. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or perhaps you´ve gone a bit deaf :D (temptation was too great)

If I put the set in dynamic mode, the buzz increases a lot, which could indicate the same behavior as yours (regarding bright scenes), so perhaps the buzzing will diminish over time...(but it feels as a bit of a gamble to rely on it)

PS: Wouldn´t it be a downgrade to exchange a PV500 for a PV60 ?

4. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I honeslty think the buzzing will diminish, I have a TFT PC monitor and that has done the same.

I thought these new Panny's were the latest and greatest? Or is it the PX600 I want?

5. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Posted on the PX60 thread that I was experiencing a hum on my 37PX60. I am delighted to say that after a more careful check I discovered that the source was my trusty old and now binned DVD player. Seems that moving them has the same effect as with grandfather clocks; they stop working or in this case stop working properly!

Anyway having removed the offending article, I can now confirm perfect bliss; not a hint of buzzing or any other unwanted noise.

This panel is a shear delight!

6. phunk

phunk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there does appear to be a very slight buzzing coming from the top of the panel at the sides, but i have to really stick me ear to the top of it to hear it. its easy to hear like this at the moment, as its sitting on the floor, but as soon as i take my ear away i cant hear it any more. once its on the wall, will be impossible to hear anything like that at all ;-)

7. Tommymang

Tommymang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Only when powering on you can hear the fans, but after a few seconds they are silent!