1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scottie2002, Oct 8, 2005.

1. scottie2002

scottie2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok......I have taken the plunge and bought a Panasonic 42pv500 and having watched a dvd via component I am very impressed. The unit came from John Lewis and they supplied me with a scart cable worth £20 and component leads worth £50. I notice the picture via sky is not so crisp and I wondered if I would be better to invest in something like a Monster scart lead? At the moment I have the TV, Shy Plus and a Panasonic DVD recorder. Also I have read so many posts concerning screen burn and image retention that I am in danger of becoming paranoid about it. I have 3 boys who are football daft and watch sky sports all the time. Is it a good idea to put the screen on a zoom mode to get rid of the logos or is that a problem in itself? Any other points or advice would be very welcome as I am a total newbie to this........thanks in advance.

2. poddy

poddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lo, scottie got a 37pv500 and i`m exactly the same mate so much so i haven't even watched any sky on it yet just dvds :rolleyes: . At the moment i have con and brightness turned to 20% as advised by a senior member for first75-100hr then upto 35% after and have in cinema mode. I used to watch sky sports and news all the time but im afraid to watch anything with a logo on it. In the image retention thread the good news is no-one has got screenburn but theres is a few who have had image retention. you might want to look at that as there is a few senior members involved in the thread. let me know if you get any problems on your 42" and i`ll do the same about my 37" :smashin: .

3. poddy

poddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    scottie i would invest in a better scart mate i move my tv and now my IXOS scart will not reach so i had to put a old one on till i gey a new oxygen free one, i can notice the difference now the old one id plugged in so it might be worth the extra pounds for a better one. As they say you dont buy vintage wine and drink it out of a paper cup .

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i bought a better scart and believe me it makes a big difference. As for retention, I for one have watched TV normally and nothing to be seen. I wouldnt recomment 3-4 hours on the same channel at least while running in, but if you limit one channel to a couple of hours im sure you will be fine, then its plain sailing after the run-in.

As poddy says, retention can happen, and thats on any plasma, screenburn has never happenned on these TV's as far as I know

5. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Hi scottie2002 and welcome aboard :D I have the same tv as you and have had it 3mth now.After the run in period of around 200hrs with your brigtness and contrast below or around 40% you will see an increase in picture quality anyway :D I run my sky through an ioxis scart cable and am very pleased with the picture quality i think it cost me around £30 but as i said the picture definatly improves as the tv is worn in :smashin:

Concerning screen burn i don;t believe anyone as suffered as of yet with one of these tv's on this forum touchwood,and as long as you are sensible

:rolleyes: Now retention as been an issue for me (but not everyone) ....my experience has been only with the white logo's (and yes this means sky sports) in either the top right or left hand corners and nowhere else.....Please remeber though retention is just that and it always dissapears so its nothing to loose sleep over..The retention only occurs when the logo has been present for an hour or longer but it does'nt stop me watching my beloved footy as i know it always dissapears after the channel has been switched over for a while:DZooming in on the screen to remove these logos can be done but i think it effects the picture quality so i don't bother :oops:I have to say this is the best plasma i have seen football on so you made a great decision....

At the end of the day as long as you are sensible you "REALLY" have nothing to worry about...and if you ever get retention just remember its just that and it will dissapear. :thumbsup: Now go sit down and enjoy your great purchase and become a "COUCH POTATO!" :clap:

7. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I Agree with you crank regarding the retension on the PV500, I've noticed lots of it on my 42PV500 but it always goes away but that really isn't the point.No matter what you view on this plasma DVD,SKY or games there is constantly temporary image retension apparent on the screen and whilst it does disappear over time it's simply replaced with some other logo,ammo counter or 2:35 DVD borders etc so you are never rid of annoying logos on white backgrounds. I'm still over the moon with the set though and I can't wait to see some HD Image retension, it should look Fantastic !!

8. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi,

I use the Profigold PGV7000 Oxypure 1.5m High Definition SCART Lead (available from: www.tvcables.co.uk for approx. £25) between my Sky+ box and TH42PV500.

Pictures are superb - certainly pays to use a half-decent SCART lead.

I've had my plasma for nearly 4 months now, and have not had any issues with screen burn, or image retention at all.

I fell asleep during the early hours of Saturday morning last week, and the TV was left on Ideal World shopping channel, with its various arrays of onscreen graphics, for approx. 5 hours (gulp!). I woke up shocked to find that I'd left the set on, but was soon relieved that there was no image retention, burn-in, or any other problems.

However, it must be noted that I did run the screen in, by setting brightness and contrast around the 40% level, and still have it set around that level now (I think my eyes have got used to it like that - any brighter and it doesn't look right!).

I agree, the pictures after the initial run-in period, when the screen settles in, are nothing short of astounding. Friends and neighbours have commented on what a fantastic picture the set has even when just watching from the built in freeview tuner.

I was a plasma-sceptic, mainly because of the burn-in issues, but I've found to my delight that if you just follow the "run-in" rules, you'll be quite safe.

:thumbsup:

9. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: WELL Korum it looks like you and i were the"THE CHOSEN TWO!".I do have to say i have never suffered from dvd borders so i really feel for you there. :rolleyes: And have got to agree image retention in hd should look nothing short of "AMAZING!" :D

10. scottie2002

scottie2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I have read the thread on image retention and that was very enlightning. I have become more confident now and have just watched whatever channel takes my fancy but have limited the time on a channel with logos to under 2 hours.
    This is a great forum.......post a message and within a few hours lots of advice......thanks to all

11. Dragyth

Dragyth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh my (2nd oldest) brother's got a 50" sony tv, got it nearly 2 years ago and I left Grand Theft Auto: Rice Chity paused for about 2 hours on it.

Went back, turned off, "Oh Sh...."

He told me not to worry about it and, a few hours later, it was gone and never came back.

I reckon that, on the whole, it's pretty temporary.

With football I'd make ya kids turn the TV off during half time and right after the game ends and you should be sorted.

Dragyth

12. bentleg

bentleg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For the price we the consumer's are paying for sets like this and any other manufacturer, do you all really think its acceptable that we have to put up with worrying about a logo on the screen, or turning a set off at half time or any other measures people are taking. The manufacturers should have ironed out problems like this by now. I’m thinking of getting a pv500, and I cant help wondering if its worth upgrading from my PW6 witch has NO problems, for the sake of a set with better resolution but is bugged down with annoying problems...

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm surprised by the image retention issue, since I don't see it on mine. Quite a few of the installers on this site say that Panasonic are the most screenburn-safe plasmas around, so as long as you're not completely stupid it just shouldn't be an issue for you - it should be as safe as a CRT.

Edit: As long as you stick to the 200 hour Cinema mode < 40% contrast and brightness routine, of course.

14. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry but this is not right. The burn in is caused by unequal ageing, turning the tv off means all the phosphurs will be at the same "age" as they were during the match, ready to keep "burning" for the second half. Leave the TV on for half time, this will do it much more good, evening up the ages a little bit.

15. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Correct - so if the channel you're watching has onscreen logo's graphics etc... that are not persistent throughout the ad-breaks, it will actually do more good to leave the tv on during those ads, as the pixels that are static with the "DOG's" will actually be displaying "moving pictures" during the adverts.

Then again, you could always change channel! :rolleyes:

16. knobby01

knobby01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken the plunge too.
    Powerhouse £2200.00 + 20 quid delivery 32PV500 and Cabinet stand 12 months interest free.
    Being delivered Saturday.
    Swear i'd never touch them again.
    It was there in all its glory crying Buy Me, Buy Me.

17. knobby01

knobby01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Powerhouse that is, not Panny