1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Pv500 Thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by totalmadness, May 23, 2005.

1. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed sevel threads about the Panasonic 500 series and it is getting a little difficult to keep a track on them. Please could people post their comments and finding about this exciting new plasma on this thread. Please could people post information on the PQ, HD, SD, and information on extended guarantees. I have read comments that Panasonic shops are giving away 5 year guarantees free of charge for this model. Would really like to know if this is only exclusive to Panny shops or is it model specific.

:thumbsup:

2. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone been given a delivery date for their PV500? :confused: I ordered a TH37PV500PED but the retailer could not give me a date at all :(
    What's Panny like with their logistics?

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just been to my local Panasonic store in Swansea. They have had the PV500 on display for a week now and just sold it this morning. Will be getting another one in this afternoon so I am going to have a look at it after work.

4. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can go and view the PV500 in west london? I called the Hounslow panasonic and store and was told that I had to come into the store for the best price. On the phone he quoted me £2400 with the pedestal stand which only included the 12 months warranty.

Does anyone know which London Panny stores are offering the 5 year warranty as standard?

5. andyridds

andyridds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to ask the question about Panny dealers and warranty/delivery charges. I have seen the PV500 in the South West, but pressed for time and no assistants available. £2999 with cab and "free" DVD recorder. I want neither, but would like a pedestal. Presuming that knocking them off gets down to a price point of c£2400 then if free delivery and extended warranty might actually be the best deal around (shock, horror), particularly if they have stock. Current best is unbeatable with £2,199 + 99 delivery. However if Panny throw in an extended warranty then they look best. Any views on general position on this before I give them a call....

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Not good unfortunately.

S.

7. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can try Kingston@Panny 0208 541 1188 :hiya:

8. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep This Thurs 26th May - From Currys

Edit - i tried to get the TH37PV500"PED" but i could not as they did/could not give me a date, so i went with the CAB TV with Stand. they said they could do both but the PED would turn up a few weeks (maybe) after the Screen.

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Anything up to 9 weeks if you are really unlucky. I was in this position roughly a year ago. :thumbsdow

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141649

S.

10. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sent an e-mail to Panasonic asking about the warranty. This is what they said:

11. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daymn! Oh well, I guess the only option is to purchase from John lewis when it comes out so that I can get a free 5 year warranty and also get them to price match with someone. The question is who??? I've read that JL seem to be extremely fussy when it comes to price matching. They seem to argue that shops do not have a fixed price and therefore cannot price match. Does anyone know when Comet or Currys will actually stock this model?

12. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JL should price match any high street (including Panasonic) shop. I think JL will price match up to 25 days after the purchase. So I guess the best option is to buy it from JL and then wait 3 weeks or so before requesting the price match. That way you will get the biggest discount (assuming prices will come down when the stock levels improve).

Also, don't forget if you pay using a Nationwide credit card, you will get an extra year's warranty for free (so 6 years in total). Plus 0.25% (0.5% within the first 6 months) cash back.

Alternatively, Morgan Stanley is giving a 5% discount for anything on JL web site if you use one of their cards to purchase. Plus up to 2% cash back.

13. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MM sounds very exciting....c'mon Mr Panasonic, sort ure stock levels out!!! Pwease??

14. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ive ordered with the Panny shop in Sheffield on the basis that the 5 year guarantee makes it the 'best' but not the cheapest option. I could have had it today with a cab.(£2999) but I want a ped.(£2699) so I'll have to wait. I was told the peds. should be in some time this week! Don't suppose I should hold my breath.

15. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    just noticed the thread got my pv500 setup and running its veryyyyy nice, paid 2999 with cab and dvd recorder sure is a nice bit of kit, the dealer i got mine from has another 3, 1 more cab(2999) and 2 wall mounts(2650)

pm if you want there number

Dino

16. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dino man what about a few pics of that baby

17. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    not sure there gonna show the pic quality but will do a few later, to busy playing :) great sound from it too , after being so dissapointed with the 435xde and getting a bad feeling about plasma tv technology this certainly is an eye opener, just stunning with sky

18. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Thats odd, I thought all retailers in the UK had to give a minimum of 2 yrs warranty :rolleyes:

19. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just seen both a 37 and 42pv500 at my local panny dealer, looks are brilliant, very classy and looks expensive. Pics, built-in DVB was as expected not fantastic, shame it wasn't setup with anything else :( only came in today so not supprised.. what i did find amazing was the smart sound system, was just fantastic, knocks the stuffing out of the pe50 range! had to ask the staff whether they had an external sub as the bass reproduction was so rich, deap and smooth, mid/treble was crisp :D

I can imagine with a good source the pv500 will be a very good, will go back when they have finished the demo setup.

shame he wouldn't budge on the price, £2650 for 37pv500cab with 2 year warranty, no free dvd recorder or 5 year warranty :thumbsdow

20. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I would like to hear from someone who has had a hi-def movie running through the PV500 from a PC, either VGA or DVI.
    I am hoping to buy one if these next month and will be playing hi-def demos from my PC to see how good it looks. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

21. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me too...tbh, all mals questions seem to be the ones that i need answers for? saves me typing..lol

22. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh it was the sound that blew me away - ofcourse we all have exta speakers but i dont want the kids messing around with that just so they can watch tweenies - they must have some clever stuff in there to get that level of sound out of such a tight space

23. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw it in the panny shop in Sheffield yesterday. They have both the 42 and 37 on display. Its very nice how they have managed to 'hide' the speakers on the unit. A very nice lady assistant measured both the 42 and 37 for me and also answered all of my questions very well.

They are offering a 5 year warranty, plus a DVD recorder (can't remember which model). The prices are 2999 for the 42 including stand and (if I remember rightly) 2699 for the 42 including pedestal.

24. P Morgan

P Morgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to buy a 37" Panny PV500 in the next couple of months. I spoke to my local Panasonic store in Central Milton Keynes yesterday. They already have the 42" on display and the 37" is coming in today. The 37" is priced at £2200 including wall bracket and comes with a 3 year warranty.

TBH i will try John Lewis first when they get stock and see if they'll price-match. A five year warranty is not to be sniffed at.

25. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just been to have another look in the Panasonic store in Swansea, they said they were having more in yesterday and I go in today to see them and they have all been sold ! So, again, no demo !

Looks like it could be a month or even more before I get a demo there. Will maybe even have to wait till the big chains have lots of stock in before I get to see it in the 'flesh'.

Got quoted £2649 for a 42PV500PED with free DVD recorder and a 3 year warranty. Hoping that the price is going to come down online over the next few months as it is out of my price range at present.

26. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the economic news is anything to go by retailers are going to have a tuff time of it. I would say by August should be some good deals to be had.

After all how many people are there rushing out to buy plasmas when times get tuff.

Only my 2cents worth :suicide: :suicide:

27. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I hope so as that is when I am looking to buy. Only time will tell.

28. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  29. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally today at my store got a full high def demostration to show on my pv500 courtesy of a japaneses stb and a rec-pot hdd. it has come direct from panasonic themsleves and been shipped from japan. part of it has been converted to uk standard (plug one of the main menus). so in my store i can actually show a true high def picture not a dvd upscalled threw hdmi. and iv got to say the picture is very impressive. the sharpness,rendering and colour management are superb.