Panasonic PV500 series known faults summary

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by maltese, Jul 4, 2005.

1. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having my TH37PV500 being delivered by the end of the week.

There are many posts related to PV500 faults and I think it would be a great idea to have a summary of these possible faults, how to detect them with a simple test, if it is a question of settings or just part of the set (comment any official support answer you may have received) and if some of you have sent your set back because of a particular fault.

It could be helpful as a quick guide to faulty unit detection for everyone in the same situation.

I've read about these main three faults:

- buzzing
    - horizontal line
    - contrast changes by itself

- other ones?

Please, comment:

Fault description - simple detection test - possible solving - Official support answer - did you send it back?

Thanks in advance

-m

2. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For example, I learnt the following from other posts:

FAULT: Horizontal line

Description: some users have noticed that their PV500 display an horizontal line in the middle of the screen.

Simple Detection Test:
    1- feed your panel with a solid color pattern signal (for example, PC windows blue desktop, or better, try with a software like "dead pixel detector" that can be downloaded from
    http://www.edgeworld.com/notebook/old/dead.htm

2- look for the horizontal line

Possible solving?
    don't know

Official support answer
    don't know

did you send your unit back because of this fault?
    haven't received it yet

3. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    FAULT: buzzing

Description: TV makes a buzzing sound when the TV is currently on. This is *not* the swirly sound that can be heard from the back of the TV during standby. Noise can be heard during normal TV viewing.

Simple detection test:

Turn the TV on, and mute the sound.

Possible solving?

This may have been caused by switching cables while the set was in standby. Before swapping cables there was no noise. Even without any cables the noise continues.

Official support answer

Engineer coming round tomorrow. Will update.

Update tomorrow

4. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    FAULT: Vertical Lines on Xbox Component

Description: There are faint (but very visible) lines on the picture when connected using the Xbox Advanced HD cable (official). Important notice if you are going to play games or use it for it's media capabilities - e.g. Xbox Media Centre!

Simple detection test:

Play a game, preferably with a black scene.

Possible solving?

So far this has been noticed on Xbox with a Focus encoder. Will try another xbox soon.

Official support answer

Not likely a Panasonic fault, but an Xbox one.

No - gone back to RGB Scart instead - no lines.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Always difficult to capture on digi-camera but this is my 2nd in house set. Whilst ok'ish when I first got it.... week and a half later had developed to this effect along the right hand side.

I've had to go close up to the telly to take the picture for demonstration purposes but sitting 10ft back the gradation is quite noticable as you view the picture as a whole with less lateral or vertical eye movement.

If you read "The future will be" and follow under the "e" in "be" to the right of the screen you maybe able to see from the pictures.

http://ekko-star.magix.net/website;jsessionid=3mkdgcn55dbk6.omaasp21?act=16&pos=0

For those that can't make it out I have also converted the picture to B&W to help demonstrate the gradation difference between the top half and bottom half of the screen. Which is effectively why this demarcation line manifests itself.

NOTE: I do not watch in B&W but have converted the picture SOLELY to enable those that cannot see the difference more clearly. The flaw is obviously more visible in colour in real life.

I have seen this or similar effect on 6 out of 6 PV500's I have tested, five 42" and one 37". Before anyone says it I doubt that they were all faulty ;)

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think they were all faulty... :) (unless I am the lucky owner of the only perfect PV500 in the world.)

7. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ekko

i can see it clearly - dont look too healthy does it? Then again its it a fault or simply the panel not bieng good enuff for gradation smoothing??

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Thanks Dilsher, it's there alright. From info gained via AVSForums it's down to the Dual scanning involved not gradation. Some people claim not to be able to see it or that it is a simple fault. I cannot believe Panasonic can have a 100% match between 2 sets of circuitry that meet slap bang in the middle of the screen on a screen at this price level. I find it hard to describe it as a fault but more a design flaw/price compromise.

What people might get (and I believe some have) is a fairly evenly matched set of dual scan circuitry that may well be close enough....and maybe then only too begin with ? :eek: Right now I would put the chances of that into the realms of pure pot luck.

If the HD8's are afflicted by this and seeing it's the same panel probably will be. The discerning viewer may have to look elsewhere.

9. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I can see it also matey. :( If mine is faulty (when i get it) i will send it back.

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK. So the engineers at Panasonic have been suicidally negligent, and deliberately released a TV that has no hope of ever being consistent across the screen. They've made the calculation that not enough people will be able to see this glaring fault to destroy their profits with returns and bad publicity. They're quite happy to abandon the plasma market to Pioneer, Samsung, Tiny, whoever...

Or... you've been unlucky. I cannot be the only person in the world who has the 'pot luck' to have a great screen with no line. We really don't know enough to decide if 2 sets of circuitry should match 'at this price level' - which only a few posts ago someone was describing as their flagship product at a serious price.

As I have consistently said, if you see this line, return your set. If you are unable to get one that doesn't have it, exchange it for something else. If this line develops later, get it sorted under warranty.

You've been very helpful at helping to identify and explain the problem that your set has, and it's right that people should know that there are quality control issues, but you are still giving the impression that there is a fundamental problem with the PV500 that us lesser mortals are unable to see.

Almost all the other plasmas out there do have fundamental problems that can be seen on every set. I am very happy with my PV500, but should it develop problems I will have no hesitation in replacing it.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    This is Panasonic's current premium HD set bar none. At it's price for them to produce exactly performance matched components within it *may* have been difficult. There in lies a probable compromise. Everyone wants top perfomance cheap price, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Have you tried to buy matched memory for example and how much of a premium you have to pay for that ???

If your set is 100% as you say, why is it you keep wishing to post on PV500 problem/fault threads ? .... :suicide:

12. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko,
    I think that if you really have seen it on 6 out of 6 then it is likely to be present on almost every set. If it's possible to keep checking different sets then do so but if you get up to 10 out of 10 then i think it's fair to say that it will happen on all of them. The odds of 6 out of 6 sets having it being a coincidence are likely to be huge.

It's difficult to explain why Sulis doesn't see it but it seems to appear that either he just isn't sensitive to it or perhaps he has been truly lucky that his set doesn't have it.

Sensitivity could be an issue - some people are still claiming that the contrast changing doesn't occur even though the dynamic contrast is a documented feature and will therefore happen at similar levels under similar conditions on ALL PV500's.
    (Unless of course there have been some secret firmware revisions, as LG do with the 42PX11)

Maybe Panasonic thought this problem wouldn't be detected in a large enough percentage of cases.

I think Sulis should post his TV to you so you can have a look at it and decide once and for all!!!
    :D

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    For those that don't see it, these threads should not interest them. As you say some even claim not to be able to see the auto-contrast either.

Whilst not a biggie for most people if you just want to watch standard TV and DVD fare, the discerning viewers though may find it niggling especially on desktop or console usage. It's just a matter for owners to reconcile with for themselves. Yes I will keep checking as and when I get access to them, though I've already seen enough to realise this might not be a coincidence. Panasonic need to know about it and they need to get feedback to be able to resolve it in future :)

For those that are not happy you can return the set or use the 5 year warranty...wow that sort of advice is so invaluable....now why didn't I think of that earlier :rolleyes:

14. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll have to prise it out of my cold, dead hands... :)

To answer some of the questions raised recently:

The reason I have been replying on the 'PV500 fault' threads is that being the public-spirited person I am, I don't want people to be put off the PV500s because of issues that are not universal.

Of course there is a part of me that wants to defend my purchase; however, I'm not stupid, I'm not blind, and PQ is supremely important to me. I have used the DVE disc to examine in minute detail flat screens at varying grayscales, at various different settings. I have seen no line. I cannot believe I am the only one.

The contrast thing I have seen. Once. It does not occur for me on any of the shows I'd have thought it to be most susceptible to it: House, CSI, 24... Nor on any films with black bars. Something that I cannot replicate under normal viewing is really not what I would call an issue - presumably the Panasonic engineers thought the same.

Of course the 'PV500 is best' cry is a bit irritating, and it's always tempting to try to bring such idols down to earth. No doubt there were engineering compromises (there always are) that cause some screens to be below par - that's a quality control issue that Panasonic may well have cause to regret. But this idea that they are all flawed is just not true, and I will respond to it every time it is imputed.

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Well said :smashin:

I haven't spent a great deal of time looking for the horizontal line yet - I may well see it on certain test patterns.
    The fact that you can't see it under normal viewing, as with the changing of contrast, probably explains the fact that it got past the quality check stage.
    I have also seen the contrast change only once.
    If I was looking to buy a plasma I may be put off, as there aren't many places where you can have a decent demo, in a darkened room, where you can look for these faults, but if anyone wants a demo in the Lancs area, I will be more than happy to show them so they can decide if these faults are as big a problem as people are making out.
    Some people notice it, some don't, but at least we know what to look for.

16. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I own a 37pv500 and looked very hard last night but failed to see any problem with my panny with no visible horizontal line even with a flat colour of say blue. Now reading through the above messages it appears that the people having problem are ones with 42pv500!?? am I correct? or has anyone with a 37pv500 seen this problem?

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Exactly what I thought to begin with, it maybe confined to the 42" models....unfortunately I helped install my mates dad's 37" last Friday which exhibited it as well (which he got from a totally different store) and I think some who have 37" on here have also seen it.

The problem/flaw/fault/phemonenon is prevalent across a number of models and certainly all the ones I have tested. I certainly wouldn't be making these comments if I had only ever seen one ! There may also indeed be good ones out there. It maybe teething problems on early batches, time will tell.

Even if I eventually get a "good un", I have seen enough not to be able to whole heartedly recommend the PV500 series for the more discerning viewers for the time being. I'm not interested in the guff that's been around on the forums recently overpromoting this set nor am I trying to discredit it. I've observed what I have by ownership and testing it.

Anyone can readily buy a DVE disc from £10-15 if you feel that is going to help you or try get this set ISF'd. The continual auto-contrast makes this an almost worthless exercise :rolleyes:

18. Mec

Mec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :lesson: Just wondering if yours mate's dad had a look at the faults on your set before he bought one and if so did he spot them and decide that they wouldn't bother his viewing or did he just decide to take a chance?

19. GrollySTI

GrollySTI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 37" model and don't have any horizontal line (that I can see).

Nor did the shop model that I spent alot of time looking at before I bought.

I do very occasionally notice the contrast adjusting but I am very relaxed about this.

:)

20. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    what faults i don't see any :D

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    He'd already bought it and wanted me to set it up for him. TBH he is a retired gentleman who has to put his glasses on to read the buttons on the remote. I didn't bother point out the line to him as it clearly would be a non-issue for him as I guess it will be for others who have or do not have it. I am also pretty sure Panasonic will shift a lot of these screens to unsuspecting Joe Public, that's just the way it goes. You have to make the choice yourself on that one, what irritates some people wont for others, vice versa, versa vice....

22. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox is notorious for doing video feed on the cheap. That same line can be seen when you hook up a bargain bucket RGB scart from your dvd player. Def the cables at fault I would say.

My 42 inch screen has none of the above faults. But I am using it as a TV, not a calibrated reference computer monitor. I cant be assed to put a pc feed into it to show a problem that is only there when the pc test pic is shown. But thats me.

23. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone who's trying to help in identifying the problem, particularly to Ekko Star as he gave a good set of pictures.

Ekko, I am wondering what have you done with your set or what the other sets' owners you have checked done with theirs.

Have you or has anyone talked to Panasonic official support service? What did they tell you?

Have you or has anyone sent their unit back? Are you waiting for a new unit? Are you considering returning it forever and wait for another set? Waiting for Pioneer to launch its new models...?

And finally, where can we read more about the dual scanning technology the PV500 series use?

I have found out the dual scanning technology is not new in the PV500 series and it has been used by previous EDTV models. Shouldn't it be an old known problem?

Thanks

-m

24. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another question, does anyone know about similar problems in USA equivalent models?

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Reading all this I wonder.... is there going to be "folk lore" surrounding the PV500 and dual-scan, in the same way that there is with Alis panels ?

26. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my 37PV500, other than the occasional contrast/brightness adjustments - mine's on normal settings which I believe it's a design feature/flaw, all else seem to be working fine. :rolleyes:

Has anyone got any official confirmation/explaination from Panasonic with regards to the auto contrast/brightness? :rolleyes:

27. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ive not noticed any of the faults either and i dont wear glasses :D maybe us lesser mortals really cant see properly.

28. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Maltese,

Set went back, will go back, again and again....

UK Customer care, have very little knowledge on this set. Don't be surprised if you're greeted with surprised remarks that you already have this set at home ? Usual response is under 28 days send it back

Will go back once more after which alternative solutions will be sought.

Have spoken to dealer who is contacting panny rep and technical chap to come see my set. I think it maybe beneficial in the long run that Panasonic understand the possible problems here rather than just sending the unit back.

Not an old problem but appears like some of our brethren across the pond are experiencing it as well

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=538274&highlight=demarcation+line

29. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It does seem some people do notice the line a lot easier than others.I suppose if you cant see it just be grateful and enjoy.

30. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really amazing. Being absolutely sure that the problem affect all units I can't understand why you still want a PV500.

Have you thought about exchanging it for another's manufacturer model? Seems like Hitachi 7200 is also a good model.

In my case there is no other choice of HD Ready set as I need a 37" one.

I am receiving my set next friday. I am going to wait to check if it is really noticeable in my unit and I will decide what to do then. Will update this thread.

-m