1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PV500 or PWD8?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AndoverRed, Aug 11, 2005.

1. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just checked out the PV500 (against the Pioneer 435, Samsung PS42, Samsung SP50 and Sagem D45) in my local Curry's store. The PV500 presented a vibrant clear picture even via the 'dodgy' analogue feed that goes to every screen. The Pioneer picture looked a bit frosty. I did like the Samsung but that pedastal stand puts me off. The Sagem was pap :thumbsdow (technical term).

Anyhow, a Panasonic screen looks like the one for me. But, how does the PV500 compare with the new PWD8 panel? I have seen some good reports on the panel but I am not able to see it in the flesh. I know the panel has more configuration options and I do not need a tuner.

My max. budget would be £2,500.

Cheers

Mark

2. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know which one I would choose... PWD8 in a second... The design has a lot to say for me too, and I hate screens with attached things on it... Plus I've only read good stuff about it (on avsforums.com - the US model), and it looks really promissing).

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The answer to you question on which screen to buy has a number of factors involved.

What pleases your eyes
    Whether you want SD or HD
    What you are connecting to the panel/TV
    Your personal preference of panel or TV
    What you can afford and what do you get for your money.

I went for the PWD8 for a few reasons:-
    PWD7's Picture was pleasing to me
    Panel had big enough picture but smaller size to Vierra range
    Had to keep cash in reserve to buy some Surround sound
    Already had Sky + so did not need built in tuner
    Came with wallmount and extended 2 year warranty (4 in total)

PWD8 Came out just as I decided that the 7 was for me and the fact that it could take the future Sky HD offering (albeit downscaled) which the 7 could not (without a scaler) clinched it for me.

You need to make up your mind about what you like and can afford for your budget. If the budget you mentioned above is for the plasma alone and you like the idea of a fully HD compatible screen but prefer panel to TV, then by the time you have done all your homework on this and other forums the new PHD8 should be out :)

4. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the responses. Addressing the points below:

What pleases your eyes - Mmmm. Elisha Cuthbert (the chick always in trouble in 24). Failing that the PV500 and Samsung SP50 DLP to date.
    Whether you want SD or HD - HD is not too critical at this stage. However, it would nice to have a HD compliant screen as I have seen HD on the PV500 and it was most impressive.
    What you are connecting to the panel/TV - nt(hel)l set top box (via scart), X-Box, and Arcam AVR300 & FMJ 27a.
    Your personal preference of panel or TV - TV has it all built-in (tuner, speakers, modules (HDMI, component etc). However, a tuner and speakers are not required in an AV setup.
    What you can afford and what do you get for your money - Budget is £2,500 max for the plasma, but this is to include the screen, speakers (perhaps), stand, and modules (SCART and Component as a minumum).

The cost of a PWD8 panel does add up taking into account speakers, stand, and modules. I calculate circa £2,200 for panel, speakers, stand, and above modules.

An AV-SALES 'forum special' would be welcome at this stage! :)

5. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    AV-Sales are being a bit naughty by NOT including the now supposidly bundled PWD8 S-Video/Composite Interface Board.

I was told this was to keep the cost down.

I know the this interface board is not up to much - but still handy to have!

Gussie :)

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know when the next range of Panasonic Viera will be released ? ie, the successor to PV500?

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not too long after the new Pioneer raises the bar.

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is likely to be the contrast ratio of the new Pioneer 436? in what ways is it expected to be superior to the PV500 ?

10. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe a better comparison would be the PHD8 click the pic to see it bigger

[​IMG]

With the right input boards it seems to have all the bases covered

[​IMG]

11. av2diefor

av2diefor