1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PV500 - do i need a scaler?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by skips, May 21, 2005.

1. skips

skips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Firstly, may i appologise if this has already been covered.

I wonder if you could help me please.
    I have been trying to dig my way out of a heap of confusion for ages now, and I would like to ask for some help.
    I am hoping to buy a Plasma screen soon, to go into a new house. I have been recommended several times to the Panasonic panel as it offers the best picture (I am an editor in TV and so I guess I am pretty picky about quality)
    I also want it to be fairly (as best it can be) future proof, ie HD ready.
    The TH42PV500 is probably the one for me! However that is where my certainties end.
    Ideally would like to wall mount the panel and so the minimal amount of cables connecting to it would be great, so I thought I’d use the HDMI input.
    So I would need a switcher of some kind? Also, I have been recommended to get a video processor of some kind.

My setup is something like this.

KISS DP-500 DVD (would like to use the progressive out, and also will probably replace this with a HDMI recorder when they come out later in the year)
    Philips DVDR-75 (again this would be replaced by a HDMI recorder later)
    VHS VCR
    Sky (would like this to be replaced with a HDMI Sky HD when releases)

I have a Sony AV receiver, and various audio devices.
    I wonder if you could recommend the best way I can integrate the Panasonic panel into my setup, what, if any scalers I would need, although I guess I’ll need a scaler with 2 dvi/hdmi inputs as the sky HD and DVD will utilise these. I did look at the Denon AVCA11XV however, I don’t think that the HDMI output goes above 570p, and I have read that the processors aren’t particularly good in it.

Sorry to bombard you with a load of questions.
    Many thanks in advance,

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Get your plasma and hook up whatever you have to it, sit down and see if there's anything you don't like about the picture and if there is whether it can be fixed with a scaler. To be honest I think you'll find you don't need one and when hidef stuff comes along even less so (it will look awesome trust me). Good scalers don't come cheap and often it's for minimal gain (you could easily spend 30% of the cost of your plasma or more on a scaler, will it improve the picture by that much well that's for you to decide)..

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    HDMI switchers are available now, with a new 4 into 1 just coming onto the market. In the meantime scalers can act as switchers too, although I am not aware of any on the market that accept multiple HDMI inputs as well as RGB etc etc, well not yet anyway.

I can understand your thought process. A one-box answer that can make all your kit work and scale to its best and pipe the whole lot in digital glory via one lead to the plasma. Kinda want that too...

:lease:

4. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You could get an amp with HDMI input and output, connect all other bits to this and use this as video switcher connected to plasma via HDMI

Just a thought I think its possible

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it's an Onkyo 5000 it will upconvert all to HDMI. A snip at £4k! Seriously for most mortals a Gefen switcher is the answer, and SD analogue direct to the panel. If you then go the scaler route, a quick re-wire, and 1 or 2 new cables, and the job will be done. If you are wall mounting, and burying cables, a RGB scart, s-video, component and HDMI will have it covered.

6. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's a SCALER and what does it do?? :confused:

Sorry for being dumb an'all but I'm kinda new to all this.

My Hitachi 42PD7200 comes this week (I can't wait!), would i benefit from a scaler??

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Basically it scales an image to fit the plasma, as well as cleaning the picture up and lots of other stuff.
    It is a lot of money for a decent one (from £1000 upwards) and is not usually not worth the extra expense on cheaper plasmas IMO.

8. skips

skips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies guys.

I have to say that as the panasonic pv500 is obviously geared up to receive SD from VHS etc and also HiDef from presumably the HDMI i guess i'll just burry cables for all ports to my equipment rack, then i can decide from there.
    So if i eventually get a DVD player with HDMI support, and also go for the (undoubtedly overpriced) Sky HD with HDMI, i'll just have to get a switcher, hopefully these are IR controlled so i can enjoy more hours, reprogramming macros on my RU940 ;)
    Regards to using an amp, i liked the Denon AVCA11XV, but looking at the manual it seems that it only outputs 480i or 576i, so no support for progressive, and as at present my KISS player will output component progressive on scart, seems a shame not to go for the progressivve option.
    So what is the easiest way to run 3 chunky scart leads and all the others down a wall and accross the floor (concrete), lol? are there legths of scart that sould be avoided, i know that long HDMI leads are rather pricey to say the least.

But i get the general opinon, is that a scaler is not an essential for the pannys spec??? (42PV500)?

thanks again guyus

skips

9. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could just go for a plasma with a media box. Only a power lead and combined system/digital cable needs to go in the wall.

Pioneer do seem to sell well with that magic box...