Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic PV500 Demonstrations

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by totalmadness, May 20, 2005.

1. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that this model is widely becoming available, I assume that stores will be putting them out for demonstration. I just called my local Panasonic shop and they were no unhelpful. The guy on the phone said, 'well this has got more pixels and has HDMI so obiously it will have better picture quality than the PE50.' -What a load of crap!!

Does anyone know where I could go and demo this model in London???

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Having spoken to our Panasonic rep this morning he has confirmed that the first stocks have gone to the Panasonic Shops that placed forward orders. He confirmed other resellers will be getting their demonstration models soon although he was unable to provide any further information as to dates. I have learnt from bitter experience not to second guess dates as invariably it will depend when the dealer got their orders onto the system. However, it looks as though you will have a greater choice of demo facilities soon.

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

3. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received a call from Panasonic Shop (Kingston) yesterday and they said they already have a 42' PV500 on demo. Here's the contact no. Tel: 0208 541 1188

Best of luck!

4. Stocky

Stocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, newbie here but been lurking for a while as I'm interested in the 42" PV500.
    It's on demo at the Croydon Panasonic store today.

5. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Did anybody manage to see the 500 on display today??? :lease:

I am tempted to get the 37 inch to replace my 28 inch CRT!

6. MikeW

MikeW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been to my local Panasonic store and saw the new Panasonic PV500. It is very impressive. I saw it playing The Incredibles through a HDMI connection, the picture was superb. They had four delivered on Thursday and have two on display and already sold the other two :eek: I asked when they would get some more in and they said Panasonic HQ would not give them a delivery date, but the assistant expected it to be two weeks. Seeing the Panasonic PV500 today has made my mind up, I just have to find the cash. :D :D

7. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just been to the lincoln panansonic - they had it on dispelay with a standard dvd player and it looked great - what really took my by suprise is the hidden built in speakers - they are amazing filled the store with a beautiful rich sound - looking forward to hearing a review from someone who gets a real demo

andy

8. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just saw one in Panasonic staines. They had no HDMI input only sky,(which would be a lot of my viewing) Got to say little difference between the 500 andPE50 sat next to it. The background was a little sharper. The shop claims it was set up identically to the other. DVD looked good, but I must stress there was no HD source to view. In summary I didn't part with my cash today

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to say that parity with the PE50 for SKY is all I'm interested in - I have no doubt it will look great with HD/HDMI material. The fact that you thought it might even be slightly better than the PE50 for SD would have me slapping the Visa on the counter without a second thought...

10. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sulis - I am not sure it was worth £700 more

11. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    but then you wouldnt have a high def screen and no hdmi. If its just as good as the sd screen with sd input, imagine what its like with high def :smashin:

12. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right but until I can see it for my self, my wallets staying shut. Can't wait!!

13. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This sounds great, but until we see HD material i.e Sky HD, these set are not going to look any different to the current SD screens. My take on this is, if you are buying a plasma now this PV500 sounds like one of best for now and future. But if you are look to replace an SD panel there little point until we start see HD broadcasts?

PV 500 will be 2-3 years old when we start seeing HD broadcasts and even then who knows how many.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    HD broadcasts are starting at the end of the year/early 2006 aren't they.. that will hardly make the PV500 2-3 years old!

15. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    don't forget your paying extra for:-

HD resolution display, with in theory better vertical resolution with SD (576 line) sources. SD panel only has 480 lines so you loose almost 100 lines of resolution!
    HD ready - HDMI input (for future proofing)
    PC input
    Front AV input
    SD card reader
    PCMI card input - for Top-up TV?
    Smart sound system
    PIP/POP/PAP etc..
    Automatic contrast system
    Cover for cables at rear
    cabinet stand has an adjustable shelf (SD version does not)

So you do get more for your money other than just a HD panel :D

16. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Dont forget hd-dvd or blue ray or whatever they decide on....

17. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    theres also the new x-box and sony playstation with HD output! and HD camcorders etc... you can also play PC games on your plasma at HD resolutions. The price of the pv500 is about the same as the old pe30 when they first came out!

18. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dont think you will be seeing mainstream TV/Sky until 2008.

For me I wont be bothering to upgrade until Sky Sports is HD that's where the most improvement is needed IMHO.

My DVD's are great so I wont be looking for too much improvement there from HD, but I'm hoping to be proved wrong here .

My main wish is for everything to connect wireless!! Now that would be cool.

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I think you're being a bit pessimistic. Don't forget the majority of mainstream broadcasting on Sky happens to be American made and a lot of these are already being made and broadcast in HD. I personally think by the end of 2006 Sky will be ramping up HD offering considerably.

20. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    Andy was it the 42" model? im interested in this plasma and also live in Lincoln so will go take a peek!

21. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

You may be right with Sky1 offering some HD stuff, but it will take more than Nip-Tuck or 24 in glorious Hi-def to get me reaching for the credit card.

But as a sports fan, football mainly, when a game at say White Hart Lane can be view in HD then we will be in business. The current very poor PQ (bit rate i think is the problem?) on Sky Sports is where I feel I personally would gain the most.

I have to say I have not yet seen any HD stuff so I am probably talking total barracks.

22. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally today at my store got a full high def demostration to show on my pv500 courtesy of a japaneses stb and a rec-pot hdd. it has come direct from panasonic themsleves and been shipped from japan. part of it has been converted to uk standard (plug one of the main menus). so in my store i can actually show a true high def picture not a dvd upscalled threw hdmi. and iv got to say the picture is very impressive. the sharpness,rendering and colour management are superb.

23. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This sounds cool, still don't see the point of getting an HD display unless you are buying your first panel and thus future proofing, then it would make total sense.
    Be carful here though the industry has a nasty habit of changing its direction and ideas as to "the standard" and leaves the first footers with egg dripping down their forehead.

I still would need convincing as to the merits of upgrading to a HD display within the next 2 years, unfortunately.