1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic pv500 and PC DVI-HDMI input

Discussion in 'TVs' started by razorlight, Jul 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem when connecting my PC DVI to the HDMI socket.
    Every time I try to install and configure the plasma my system crashes. reboots and goes into safe mode.

I have a DVI to HDMI cable conecting PC and pv500

I have downloaded the lates nvidia driver (and beta driver)

Has anyone been able to connect a pc to the panasonic via the HDMI socket?

I see the possible problem area as:

Nvidia card
    Nvidia Drivers
    DVI - HDMI cable
    Panasonic TV

Help Please :lease:

Here is my equipment:

PC - Media Centre with 64 Bit Athalon
    OS - windows XP pro SP2
    Graphics - 6200 Nvidia DVI out card.

2. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    i don't think your meant to use the hdmi socket-only the pc one

3. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can not play HTDV films if if you use the PC VGA input. I have a DVI to HDMI cable wich work fine in VGA but has soon as I install the NVIDIA GEforce drivers the system crashes. I suspect that several things;

1. The Nvidia driver is buggy
    2. The DVI to HDMI is Faulty
    3. The TV is is faulty

Not sure which is the problem, I need to get hold of an ATI card to see if that makes any difference.

4. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Why can't u play HDTV in VGA?

5. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can play the HDTV content but you dont get it in high definition. Checkout your hand book for the TV.

6. DNO

DNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've played some HD content from my laptop thru the VGA adapter and it looked great - the PC resolution was set to 1024*768 at 60HZ which I agree is not true HD but it was still excellent PQ.

On page 54 of the user manual (How to connect the HDMI Input terminal) there is a small note which states "This input temrinal is not intended for use with computers" - no explananation why though!!

7. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have you tried setting the PC res to 720p or 1080i? The HDMI input on the Panny might only accept those resolutions through it. (Not PC resolutions)
    In the Nvidia driver, in "Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates" there is a checkbox for "Show Standard HDTV Formats".

It might look a bit naff for general PC use, as fonts will be difficult to read etc as your not running at the native res of the Panny, but the MCE interface will look ok as will video.

Also, watching HD via the VGA at 1024x768 is the same thing, as anything bigger than that (720p/1080i) will only be scaled down to fit the Panny anyway. The only benefit i can see is using the digital input over the analogue one, but it wont be much if anything.

8. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it would seem that the current geforce 4 6200 nvidia driver do not support the Panasonic pv500. As soon as i install the drivers My PC crashes. This is without even changing the resolution. I have tried it on three PC's and they all crash. If I change the Graphics card for an ATI Radieon it works fine. I installed media centre with which use different drivers and this worked as well. this leads me to believe that the current Nvidia drives have problem with the pv500.

I don't even get a chance to do any setting changes so please don't reply if you have got this configuration working.