1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PV500 and 5.1 Speaker Packages

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mentalmike, May 31, 2005.

1. mentalmike

mentalmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I'm looking at getting a PV500 and was wondering how something like the 'PANASONIC SCHT1500 DVD KIT' would work. Basically its a 5.1 speaker package with a dvd player and hard drive recorder. Thing is though if the PV500 has the tunner built in can I link this up to the recorder and back again? Might seem like a n00b question but I am :)

I know sepearates would sound better but for the £400ish mark is this a good buy if it will work decently with the screen?

2. mentalmike

mentalmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I be better posting this in one of the audio forums. I only want a quick response so then i can go away a search abit and look into different options. I've read that massive post on the pw7 with the canton cd1's being mentioned alot, I was just wondering on the package options, is there that much difference?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic make great plasmas, and lousy speakers. That's why separates are a better option. Canton, tannoy, Eltax all make speakers in the kind of price bracket you are looking at. Far better off with them if you can stand going the separates route.

4. mentalmike

mentalmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cheers for that, I'll have a search for that as I've seen them mention alot on here.

As for something like a hard drive recorder I'm still wondering how that would work as the digital tunner is built into the screen so I'm guessing I'd have to output it to the recorder then back to the screen - if thats possible would the quality be any good?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's the way you'd record digital, yes. slightly clunky but workable. It will output s-video I think, but not RGB AFAIK, can't see how that could be done. So there will be some loss of quality.

6. mentalmike

mentalmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but then again I supose if I'm recording to a hard drive there is loss in quality there as well dending on the quality setting. If I get say canton speakers I'd need an amp with them I guess? Cheers for your help.

7. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mike

Only pay what your ears can hear, I have £5000 worth of audio hifi just for music and my wife thinks the Panny surround amp and speakers for the tv sound s better !!! I can hear a much better quality but then again after spending all that cash on arcam and mission I would want to think I could.

The panny system i have under the telly costs £200 with the speakers and sounds very good for movies and mtv.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin: