1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PV50 Review

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwood, Apr 6, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I've just been to powerhouse in Stirling today and they had one set up showing Monsters INC on DVD. Chap was very helpful and BS free which is a change.
    DVD player was new recorder and was outputing progressive scan. Before someone starts on about Monstars INc looking good on anything the hair on Sully is a great leveler of many a Plasma and this new PV50 was STUNNING!
    As SKY+ was set up next to it the chap connected it up and yet again it was a major step up from anything I've seen before.
    All the usual issues such as dot crawl and Fizzing were absent on both DVD and SKY and DVD IMHO was the equal or better than any 37" 28" CRT I've seen.
    The other picture thing which usually annoys is movement on outlining round objects (I'm sure its got a name?) was absent as well.

I'm almost thinking to Heck with SKY HD and getting one of these but the bit in side me that knows me only to well says wait for the 500 series as if its even slighty better than 50 series then :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If SKY looked good, then let rejoicing break out across the land... :)

Since that's our main viewing, I'm happy to wait for the 500 Viera and then choose which has the best SKY picture...

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I tried it on BBC1 2 ITV1 etc,BBC news 24, Sky News, E4 and it was good and I'm a fussy git. Low bitrate stuff was Ok in the way that even on a 32" CRT its just Ok.
    Because resolution on the 42 and 37 are the same, should the 37 inch in theory be the sharpest due to smaller pixels?

4. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys! I actually work for Powerhouse and can totally agree with pwood. We got the TH42PE50 in a couple of weeks ago and I set it up with the new Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder which has ps. It is amazing! I checked out Lord of the Rings TFOTR and Star Wars EP1. They both looked awsome! After a 30 min calibration and fiddle I managed to get it looking somewhat near to as I would have it at home. It was that good I ordered myself one that very same day! They really are a great looking plasma!

5. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In close distance, yes ofcourse the 37" is the sharpest. But the further away you'll look, the difference will be smaller, untill you reached a point where the 42" wins.
    How far this point is, don't know, but i estimate around 15 feet. (to know this point for sure, put a 37 and 42" next to each other and look :D )

I saw the Panny today again in another store (first opinion was not great due to poor adjustments) and I'm impressed too. A killer cr (comes very close to crt imho, and the best i've seen on a flatscreen) and indeed almost no artifacts/dotcrawling, a very clean and rich picture! Sorry to say this to owners of expensive screens such as Pioneers; this 'cheap' Panny blows it away completely (with non-HD broadcast material). The Pio435 was on my wish list, but hey, forget it! :hiya:

But what the Panny definately needs is a color calibration (which model doesn't?), imho there is slightly too much blue in the screen. Particularly noticed this with nature rendering (grass/leaves etc.), it's not 100% natural, grass etc. was too blueish. Pitty you can't adjust this on the fly with the remote. :(

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I take there is a service menu where it is possible to calibrate stuff like greyscale,hue etc.