Panasonic PV 500 faults, advice needed

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Gambler, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Gambler

Gambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the above plasma which is coming up for 18 months old and was bought from John Lewis. Just before it was a year old it devoloped various intermittent faults after which the telly can operate okay for anything up to 3 weeks, sometimes longer.
    John Lewis sent out an engineer, but he couldn't find anything obvious. He told me he could take it away and keep it for 3 weeks and just let it run in his workshop, but if nothing showed up I'd just get the telly back again.

The faults are

1. The picture goes dull. I can only describe it as if you were looking at the TV through dark smoked glass. Only way to get the picture back is to press a button on the remote, but it keeps on doing this throughout the day.

2. Totally lose the picture and end up with snow.

3. Most times l switch on DVB it comes up as finding new channels, but after scanning, no new channels are found. Engineer told me to go into the menu and re scan the channels, but l feel l shouldn't have to do this everytime.

4. The speakers sometimes sound distorted, even at only moderate volume.

5. When left on standby, the TV switches itself on. No other devices such as recorders have been programmed to record, the TV just seems to switch on of it's own accord.

My obvious concern is that if the TV is doing this after only 18 months, that it might develop something major later on in life. As l stated, as these faults are intermittent, it's not easy getting it to perform to demand when an engineer looks at it. And it's now getting really annoying. Can anyone advise me on what my options are with John Lewis as l don't want them to take it off for repair only to say they can't find anything again, as l know there are the stated faults. Has anyone else had any similair faults with this model?

Regards

Russ

2. Gambler

Gambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bump:lease:

Someone must be able to help me please.

3. Gambler

Gambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    l can't believe it, 54 views and no replies. With all the good advice l see on other threads surely someone can give me some advice.

4. Altezza

Altezza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I don't really have any advice but to say that I have a PV500 that has never had any of these problems other than it coming up every so often with the message about finding a new DVB channel which isn't there. I think this is something that alot of people get, if it gets on your nerves you can switch off the DVB auto update in the DVB menu.

5. shrimp3r

shrimp3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Have you got a video camera? If not borrow one and film the screen playing up - then show that to JL.

Mark Mac