Panasonic purple/red outline in shadows - normal or not?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by xp1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. xp1

xp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After recently buying a Panasonic TX-P42C2B i have noticed when it is displaying shadows in dark scenes it forms a distinct red/purple outline on the edge of shadows like someone has drawn around the edge of the shadow with a red/purple/magenta marker which should not be there. Is this a form of the purple snake problem with older Panny's or something else?

Is there any other Panasonic owners which have the same problem on their X20/G20/V20 etc as i get the same separate colour banding issue as these sets have and was wondering if the shadow problem is in these panels as well.

Thanks.

2. tele1962

tele1962
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,917
    Mate have you got all the digital enhancements OFF, also i think this is an older model so did you get it second hand?:)

PS.
    From what i have seen this is a great tv and i have not noticed the problem you are having.:confused:

Can you tell me your settings mate.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. xp1

xp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It does'nt seem to matter if it's in normal/cinema/thx/dynamic picture mode, vivid colour on/off/sharpness turned completely off etc. If you know what the purple snake issue is with the px60 Panny's this looks sort of like it but more like a purple/red lines instead of a purple band's/snakes.

This tv is the budget model below the x20 bought from new. The newer Panasonic models seem to suffer from posterization and i'm just wondering if this is it as it makes the images with the shadows cartoon like in appearance.

Apart from this issue the tv can produce some great images but in dark scenes with shadows it has this problem.

4. sampo

sampo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It's probably dithering. Plasmas generally have major problems with low level fine gradations, so manufacturers use simulated levels instead.

5. Dumachi

Dumachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Possibly try a firmware update.

6. xp1

xp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately there only seems to be firmware updates for the x20 and Usa version of this tv. None for the uk. The purple/red lines on edges of shadows are still there if the colour is turned down to 0. Normal/bright images do not have this only dark scenes.

7. Dumachi

Dumachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Is it in warrenty? If so try a replacment it could be a faulty panel.

8. xp1

xp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is similar to what i am seeing. If i look at a persons face in a dark scene going from the light part of the face to the dark area a red/magenta line separates the two areas.

The lines are not as wide as the one on the persons back in this photo. Pausing a recorded video of dark scenes shows that where the lines are the picture has fizzely pixels which move around.

Attached Files: