1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PTAE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hatcher, Mar 17, 2004.

1. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Panasonic PTAE500 to go into a dedicated Home Cinema room that I'm building (along with the existing 7.1 system that's been shoe-horned into the lounge for so long). I want to make up a good quality fixed screen (around 90"-100") but am unsure on the type of material to buy.

I've looked at Ellie (they recommended their Matt White), Harknesshal (they say use a grey one as it will improve the black level, which I admit is the weak point of LCD projectors, but I don't want to lose to much brightness). and DPH who haven't got back to me.

There's just too many choices. Anyone out there got any advice, experiences? Doesn't need to be perf'd and the room will be fully light controlled. Got about £150 in the budget. Do I need more?

2. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay as I had no comments I bit the bullet late Thursday and bought 1.5m off a 2.4m roll of a matt white screen material from Ellie. I've watched a variety of movies over the weekend using it's full width - that's 107" measured as a 16:9 diagonal, and all I can say is it's superb. Very good brightness and black levels and I'd recommend it to anyone else with a similar projector.

It cost just under £90 from http://www.ellie.co.uk/acatalog/White_Fabric_Screens_Range.html (although you have to ring to get it in half meters 'cos their web site only does it in 1, 2, 3 etc.) and was delivered the next working day.

Hope this is useful.

Any tips on mounting it properly? I've just stapled it to a wooden frame like you would an oil painting canvas. I was going to put a matt black surround on it and fix it to the wall, but if anyone has come up with anything else that's worked well for them let me know.

3. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ellie.co.uk seems broken?

4. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: