1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PTAE100E / Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gotan, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm seriously considering replacing my 40" Tosh RP TV with a Panasonic PTAE100E but before I part with cash I need to ask a few questions.

I want to connect the following to the unit.

Poineer 525 DVD player (I know this will be ok through SVHS)
    Pace Sky digital Box (not Sky+) - help ?
    US NTSC Playstation2 - help ?

If anyone could offer advice on how I might be able to have all the above hooked upto the projector at the same time (i would only use one source at a time) but don't want to have to mess around with plugging and unplugging sources.

Many thanks in advance !!

DAZ

2. themoron

themoron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gotan

I have put in a order to get a pt-ae100 and I am in a similar situation, I have four sources that I need to connect. So on the advice of the fine upstanding members of this forum I have bought a Scart switch-box (b-tech BT921) , an RGB - S-Video Converter (PAL/NTSC) and a good quatity S-Video cable.

This should be fine if all of your devices are RGB

Hope this is heplful

themoron

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    At the moment my Amp is used for switching, my dvd player and s-vhs vcr are plugged into the amp, and I have one s-vhs lead going to the projector, the way I get my digi box to it is sought of cheating, it's connected to av2 on my s-vhs vcr, I then switch the amp to vcr and it seems to convert the composite signal to s-vhs.
    You are best looking at the back of your amp and see what sockets you have, most modern amp's allow composite and s-vhs switching, the latest amp's also allow componant switching.
    Look's like you need a s-vhs out cable for your ps2.

4. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok this is sounding good.

I have a Yamaha DSP-A595a A/V Amp which has the ability to switch two SVHS sources.

So I'm thinking I can plug my DVD player and PS2 into the Amp and run a single SVHS cable to the projector which would be perfect.

Only one more problem to deal with, Sky Digi Box, Hmmmm - there are two "optional" DVD & Video inputs on the rear of the amp which you can connect composite video/audio L&R to, so maybe if I ran a scart to composite video/audio cable to say the video inputs (thus running the Plastation2 & Sky Digi Box) on the same channel, this should work, as I'd only use either the Sky Box or the PS2 at any one time.

If some could please check through my thinking (ahem) and confirm if they feel that the above would work, that would be great.

Cheers for the help so far ppl.

:)

DAZ

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Is this what you meen.

1, DVD running s-video from amp.
    2, sky/ps2 running composite from the amp.

Yes you can do this but you will need two leads from your amp to the PJ, one for s-video the other for composite.
    I tried my son's ps2 in composite, it was ok but could look a lot better in s-video.
    Dont forget that the ps2 can be set to componant out in the menu, the Panasonic will accept this, and it would be the best bet for your PS2.
    Does your amp have componant switching?

Joe at The Media Factory does some quality cables by Van Damme at a reasonable price. Email him for a quote.

6. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try and explain my madness ..... ;)

My Yamaha DSPA595a has the following video terminals

1 x DVD SVHS (Input)
    1 x Video SVHS (Input)
    1 x Video SVHS (Output)
    1 x Monitor SVHS (Output)
    1 x DVD Video Composite (Input)
    1 x TV/DBS Video Composite (Input)
    1 x Video Composite (Input)
    1 x Video Compsote (Output)
    1 x Monitor Composite (Output)

I though that I could hook my gear this way.

DVD player connected to DVD SVHS (Input)
    Playstation 2 connected to Video SVHS (Input)
    Sky Digi Box connected to TV/DBS Video Composite (Input)

And run 1 SVHS to the AE100 from the Monitor SVHS (Output)

Hope this helps clear my plans, please let me know if you think this would work or not.

Cheers !

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The above will work when using monitor out (svhs)
    But you would have to use a seperate composite lead for sky, or you could buy a rgb to svhs convertor, you could then plug your sky box into a spare svhs in socket on the amp, strange, just noticed from your list you have only got 2 svhs imput's. I have three imputs on my amp.

You may have to got the way of Themoron and use a switch box.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Gotan

If like the rest of us you will be using your SKY Digibox quite a bit of the time you really want to optimise the picture quality from the SKY box.

Using the Composite out from the SKY box will not result in a great picture from this source. You may want to consider using the Composite as a stop gap and then in a few weeks when John Sim (http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/) launches his new RGB to Component converter box add that to your system.

This will require that you don't switch your SKY picture through your AV amp and you will also want to run three 75 ohm phono to phono Component video cables form the SKY box/RGB Converter to the projector.

Regards

Joe

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Joe

It sound's like this rgb/componant convertor is just the thing for me, for getting decent images from my ITV Digital box.
    Have you any idea on a price for this?
    Oh no, it sounds like I need a new Amp with componant switching, as you know I will soon be running my dvd player with your componant lead's.

10. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh,

I can confirm that my Yamaha A595a has 2 svhs inputs on the rear but there is a third on the front of the amp (Video Aux), which I assume I could use for the Sky Digi Box (should I also purchased a RGB to SVHS convertor).

One quick one while I'm at it (for a change) what is the model number of the Da-lite screen ? - I will assume that for such a reasonable price it's a manual pull down one and not motorised ?

Cheers !!

DAZ

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    should definately consider using Component for PS2..great results, but it would mean having the PS2 near the projector though and then running sound to your amp..
    good luck anyway..:)

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes, it sounds like you need a rgb/s-vhs convertor, that rgb/componant convertor look's like it's going to be about £140 :eek:
    My Da-lite screen is the Modelb pull down, (without control screen return), in matt white 203cm x 114cm. (16:9)

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    RGB-S-video converter for Sky -> Amp

PS2 Svideo ->Amp

DVD Svideo -> Amp

Amp Svideo -> Projector

Thats the simplest bet for you, using the amp as a source switcher.

You'd get a better picture (although how much better is subjective), by

Sky -> RGB/component converter -> component switch box

PS2 component -> component switch box

DVD player component -> component switch box

Component switch box -> Projector

For this you'd have to buy a more expensive converter for your sky (depends how much sky you plan to watch on the pj). You'd need a DVD player with component output (go for a progressive one like the lecson), and a component switch box.

I think we had a consensus that you can get away with a good quality phono switch box, but Gordon will soon put me right if thats not the case :)