1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-LC75E Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wynouk, Jun 16, 2002.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the Panasonic PT-LC75E Projector in action, i was wondering if it's worth considering over the PT100 model, it looks like a widescreen model compairing it with the PT100, would i be less likely to get the screen door effect on it or would i be better just buying the PT100????

In general as a newby to this would i expect to get a much better projector???

thanks

2. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I`m about to... I just bought one so hopefully I`ll get it next week... yes you`re right... its XGA so that even though its 4:3 with a 16:9 mode, it`ll still give way more pixels than the lower AE100, even in widescreen, plus I intend to use our HCPC with it & pixel map. It should perform better than the AE100 but then it retails over £3k so you`d expect that anyway...

regards

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    read the posts on the avsforums there is loads about the PT-LC75U, U being the us version and E being the european version.

It is regarded as the better projector by everyone who has tested both, but it can be had for a few hundred $ more over there and not double the pt100 price, like here.

what i would say though is shop around as business sales tend to knock the prices down a bit more than consumer sales, so it may not be much more.

I know the trade pice on these two units is very close.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WYNOUK

The PT-LC55E (SVGA) and the PT-LC75E (XGA) are both 4:3 projectors that are 16:9 switchable.

Straight out the box on a side by side viewing using a video source the PT-AE100E looks a more vibrant and dynamic projector.

Spend a bit of time getting the PT-LC75E adjusted to suit your system and it can outperform the PT-AE100E - especially so if you are using a HCPC. You need to ensure that your screen has black borders so that you can kill any grey light that is generated when running the 4:3 panel in letterbox mode.

The lamp life on the 55 and 75 is not going to be as long as on the PT-AE100 though fan noise in low power is far less intrusive on these two 4:3 units.

Reliability wise we have not had any of the well documented problems with the 55 or 75 that we have all had with the 100.

Reefer - I do hope you have not paid over £3k for a 75E. Expect to pay around £1,400.00 for the 55E and £2,275.00 for the 75E incl. VAT.

Regards

Joe

5. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe nope! I paid £1513.00 inc delivery! for a brand spanking new sealed boxed one off ebay.... and yeah I know... I was very lucky. It arrived this morning too so I can play tonight...

cheers

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reefer, when did the auction close for that? I've brought one from the same guy, auction closed on monday. Now I have to wait for the money to clear to his account, and a bargain of a projector is mine :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone else looking for the £1495 Panasonic 75 deal there is 2 more on sale on ebay at the moment. Search for Panasonic projector and it will show.

I cant vouch for the guy yet, as mine hasnt arrived yet (but its only been a couple of days) but if reefer's was from the same guy then its a good sign that he has his. Plus the guy has 149 positive comments, which is always nice :)

I'll post in here when mine arrives.

8. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, quickly set it up last night on top of the table footy:p and projected onto the `magnolia` :D bedroom wall in true THX style! Signal from PC using WinDVD & boggo 64mb video card, no settings made or powerstrip etc yet.. will be modding the pc to a HCPC asap with ati graphics etc.

Everything as it comes out of the box..

Wow! what a picture! blummin bright & so sharp... I used to have a 3 gun massive CRT machine, which to me, was crap compared to this, even using rgb feeds. The crt`s to my eye don`t resolve the detail in dark areas. As for ppl moaning about black levels.... well no offence to anyone but they need to get out more! I feel a bit sorry for ppl who can only sit there critically viewing the technology instead of enjoying the film. We saw star wars at one of the multiplex`s recently and I thought well you even get crackles, flicks & blips all over the pic here, you don`t from dvd! Its a way more watchable picture than even my sony crt widescreen set and as for screen door thats a non issue, ok maybe cos my machine is xga but it`s only noticeable from 3-4ft away on a 6ft image, it may be more prevelant on a svga though.

Anyway, I thought I was fussy!! Grief... its ace! Will be using icestorm 5 on some hardboard fixed flat to the wall soon fed by the hcpc with the v.card & tweaking.

I`m very happy and at the end of the day thats what its all about.
    Enjoy your movies...

9. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, reefer

This appears to be a bargain but I have a few questions you might be able to help with.

I was thinking of getting the PT-LC75E off e-bay from the same guy you did but was wondering how you claim on the warranty if it goes wrong and who do you take it to.

The seller says the date stamp on the projector is sufficient and no other documents should be required. Is that right or did you at least get a warranty card in the box.

Also what is it like on widescreen material, are those grey bars intrusive with the lights out.:confused:

10. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVDcake,

Unit is factory sealed in its box with warranty card & machine is date stamped meaning you can take it to any `authorised` panasonic repair centre should your unit require repair within the warranty period.

As for performance well, as its an xga panel you actually get more pixels even in widescreen mode than a widescreen wsvga panel would resolve. The bars top & bottom do not bother me at all... mainly because geometry is perfect and if you wanted to you can always mask it out if you`re that fussy.

Considering the performance and the price I paid I couldn`t ask for more :p b b b bbb bbbbb bargain!

11. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to get one :)

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello all

Please do not take this message as a put down from an unhappy dealer it is simply a warning to be wary.

I was intrigued by all the talk on the forum re the amazing pricing being offered on the Panasonic PT-LC75 units as advertised on eBay.

The pricing is way below the current trade purchase price and as you would expect I was straight on to Panasonic about this - as it meant we were not competitive.

Now this may be completely unrelated but Panasonic had a large batch of these projectors stolen from a UK shipment some time last month.

The units on eBay may be unrelated and the sellers may be completely unaware of this issue but there seems little chance that these units got onto the market via normal channels at such a low price.

As I said this is simply a warning to double check what you are purchasing and if it will have a warranty and not be repossessed.

Best regards

Joe Fernand

13. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Uh Oh:eek:

How do you tell if it is a stolen unit. Does Panasonic have a list of the serial numbers.:confused:

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    DVDcake

You would think they would!

I shall ask tomorrow and report back if they do have the info to hand.

Best regards

Joe

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the warning, and I did think about this possibility before purchasing. However, I cant see someone with a 150+ rating being as stupid as selling them on ebay. There is a possibility though of the person buying them off the thief without realising though.

16. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree adidajnz, there are other easier ways to make much more money out of a scam than this, although it would still be nice to be able to check the serial number even once you had the projector just to put your mind to rest.

Incidently does anyone know how much a PT-LC75 would cost as an import from Japan or America?

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, personally I wouldnt mind knowing if it is a stolen projector. But at the risk of loosing it I'm not going to. If Panasonic promised to let me keep it in return for me giving them the serial number then that would be fine, but I'd be £1500 down at no real fault of my own if they confiscated it.

18. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of those projectors as well. I called Panasonic and asked them if there was any to determine by the serial number whether it was stolen. The answer was that they do not track their projectors serial numbers....

19. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should cost about USD 2600.- to import it from Japan (last time I checked). However, they guy I bought it from did not look like he'd just stolen a truckload of these units ;-)

20. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D
    What does a seller of truckloads of stolen stuff look like?;)

21. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what they look like but I suppose they wouldn't try to sell them on ebay where the whole world is watching. ;-)

22. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I finally got my PT-LC75 a couple of days ago and have been trying it out connected to my laptop for dvd and to the s-video port on my S-VHS recorder for television.

The laptop gives a simply brilliant picture whilst playing dvds and using the desktop whilst the s-video is inferior but is still very watchable.:)

The PJ does appear to have three stuck on pixels, although they are scatered around the edge and not always visable so they could just as easily be dust on the lcd panels. This does not bother me much though considering I was sitting only one and a half metres from a five foot diagonal image, much closer than recommended due to limited space.

I can see the screen door effect but once you get into a film you hardly notice it and with the ideal viewing distance would never see it. The fan noise in standard low lumen mode is also so low you forget it is there.

Right I'm off to watch more stuff on it ... :D :D :D

23. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice ;-) Where did you get your 75E in the end and how much did you pay for it? Also, what color are the stuck pixels and are they on all the time?

Cheers

24. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got it from a guy on e-bay selling them brand new at the 'buy it now' only price of £1495, total price £1518 including insured postage. He did have quite a few to sell but I have not checked lately to see if he had relisted.

As for the pixels, I noticed two green ones at the top of the screen, one on each side, and a red one at the bottom left corner. The one on the right seems to have disappeared and the green one on the left is indistinct leading me to believe it is a piece of dust on an LCD panel. The red one looks like it is stuck on red but can only be seen on dark backgrounds or when viewing widscreen material on the black bar at the bottom. I hardly notice any of them once I get into a film and this is from 4 foot away on a 60 inch screen due to my cramped room. Once I set it up properly at the correct viewing distance the stuck pixels will not be a problem.

All things considered, seeing all the other problems people are having on this forum, I believe I have got a great PJ for the price.

:D :) :cool: