1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-L555U Red Color Misaligned

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarshallX, Mar 31, 2005.

1. MarshallX

MarshallX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I have had a PT-L555U for a while and recently the red has become misaligned. The blue and green are fine, but when I try to view a movie/etc the red is approx. 3 inches down and to the right. Its almost as if the entire red panel is shifted. Before I take apart the projector I was wondering if anyone on these awesome forums has any experience with this issue, and has a 100% fix for it.

I would use the service manual but after searching for it for 3 days I was no successful in finding it.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. MarshallX

MarshallX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK after reading a few other posts it seems its definately an alignment problem. Probably something I can look into fixing. Does anyone have experience realigning Panasonic panels that can give me a few tips on where to start?

3. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    I tried it on an old Panny LC56.

Recommendation ? Dont even bother trying ! The panels are tiny and getting to them means taking the whole PJ apart. You then have to align every single panel with every pixel and find a way to test it in situ

I just about managed it after days of fiddling and the odd thrown screwdriver but the red/blue on mine is about 1 pixel out. This makes text a complete nightmare to read and its only really good for kids xboxing.

If its worth anything then get it done professionally if not give it up IMO :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

4. MarshallX

MarshallX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the main use for this will be XBOX playing :p

How about's did you get it to align right...align with fingers/turn on and check/turn off/realign etc etc?

5. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367

TBH it was a nightmare. I had to strip it down as far as the lens/plate/mirror module. Get a jewellers screwdriver as a v tight angle to the holding screws.
    Once I was in position I then had to power up the PJ with the cover off (yes I know the dangers but I was nowhere near cables) and move the plates less than a mill per time to try and line them back up whilst looking at the screen for guidance!

Good luck if you want to try but I wouldnt recommend it !

6. MarshallX

MarshallX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems we were using slightly different models as mine you take the top off and the panels are right there in plain sight. I'm going to try to get the service menu up tonight and see if I can do it through software as when I hooked up my laptop computer I can adjust the individual colors, which tells me its possible to fix it through software.

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That amount of misconvergence shift doesn't seem right,had the unit been dropped?
    LCD panel alignment is a mechanical process, not a electronic shift adjustment. Once a panel is locked it doesn't shift without external forces(well, maybe 0.2 pixel width with heat/cooling) , so to me ,it sounds like its been fingered!, good luck with the alignment, there are several free test pattern programs on the web, you need one with crosshatch and can toggle between white,cyan(B/G),yellow(R/G) and magenta(R/B) cross hatch.