1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-AE200 PT-AE300 & PT-AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jomppa, Oct 23, 2003.

1. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Has anyone seen the difference between the three models listed above?

Or for a starter has anyone seen/reviewed the 200 against the 300?

As there are massive price differences between the two, and very cheap offers on the PT-200, is it that much poorer? Is there a known manufacturing / poorer overall quality problem?

What difference in real vewing, does the 500 make. Is it worth the wait?

I saw the 300 at a friends a couple of days ago. He has a nice set up using progressive scan and component input and even from about 1.5 metres you couldn't see any pixelation.

Thanks
    John :rolleyes:

2. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Bump"

I would like to see some comparisons here also

- for me I would like to know if the 200 or 300 is a worthwile upgrade on my 100.

I believe they are the same box so no new mounting problems!

Cheers

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you guys did a search you would be able to find screenshots from all three and be able to compare, there are loads so you shouldn't have a problem finding any

jompaa:i think it is worth waiting for the 500 as the spec suggest the pq will be pretty damn good, but depends what you are looking for. The 200 is really cheap, 700 quid from www.komplett.co.uk, and provides a great picture, i got one a week.
    If it is your first pj i would recommned the 200 as a great value and great entry level pj performer.
    regards
    Fred

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Screenshots are fine for general impressions but really tell you nothing about the performance of a projector (other than it exists..............except when someone is posting a screenshot to illustrate some technical anomaly - VB/whatever. Screen shots taken in different circumstances by different cameras of different projectors will tell you zilch............................

Calibos upgraded from an AE100 to an AE300, I'm sure there are other in the same position................... Kramer has seen most of the main market projectors and should also be in a position to give a definitive view on the differences - he had two AE100s, now has HS10, and is on the record that he finds the AE300 smoothscreen technology makes the image "soft".

Maybe one of them will toddle by here and give us their impressions of the differences they found.

Sean g.

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I had a AE100 and recently upgraded to the AE200. I got a really good deal for my second hand AE100 so the price jump wasn't too much.
    And yes. The upgrade is definately worth it. The contrast is much improved and it's basically silent when you watch a movie. Also, using the Scart socket from my cable box gives a great picture for TV use.

With the AE100, I always thought there was something a bit lacking and was constantly tweaking to get the best out of the projector. With the AE200, I just sit back and enjoy the movie.

I can't see me needing to upgrade for quite some time now...

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The cynic in me thinks this is a marketing ploy to get people to spend more money.

But follow the link below and scroll down.

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/ptae300/index.htm

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jees i wouldnt buy either if those were the only shots id seen! The 200 is set up awful, sorry but it isnt even properly in focus! I have seen enough shots of the 200 to be able to say that that one is about the worst i have seen (come to think of it, it doesnt matter how many ive seen..... im going loopy!), so those two are pretty useless.

ad

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I was reading on another forum that they said that Panasonic did not do a good job of setting up the AE200 (for obvious reasons).

Hell, my AE200 looks a lot better then that and I'm not even using a professional screen let alone have the technical knowledge of a Panasonic show technician or there set up equipment.

Perhaps the tech that set up the AE200 can use the best bit of technical equipment I own for setting these things up... My eyes...

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    perhaps the tech has one of his eyes in the wrong spot! :D

I would suspect the 2 machines will be similar if you walked past them and didnt look, it will be the finer details that will be improved upon.

ad

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the AE300 is better in terms of absolute black level, but the AE200 clearly has a significant advantage with regard to shadow detail :D

Come to think of it, the one on the left is "softer" - AE300 I reckon with its "softscreen" technology.

:D

11. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was sold on the AE200 until seeing that picture.

Thanks for the reasurance that it's not rubbish. Faith now restored.

Ta

12. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :)

Thanks for all the information.

The 200 does not look at all as good (in the site pictures) as the 300, but I think that maybe a set up discrepancy too. I still think at 700 odd quid the 200 is a great buy.

I viewed the 300 and liked it, but at a similar price and with better overall features, then for me I think the Sanyo Z2 wins over the 300.

I also borrowed a Z1 about 3 months ago for a weekend and was very impressed with the ease of use and quality of picture (for both DVD and Xbox). Although I didn't use component input it was still excellent with little chicken-wire.

So with this in mind, I have decided to go for for the Sanyo PLV-Z2 instead of the 200 or 300. I am just waiting for reviews to become available in these forums and projectorcentral for the Z2 to assure that it does what it says.

Cheers
    John. :D

13. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to reiterate, I have an AE200 and that comparison shot of the 200 is BS - there's no way it could ever look that bad. On the contrary, it's very good and the only issue with it (for me) was noticing a little more screen door, going from an XGA pj.

I suggest the setup bloke needs a new set of bifocals! :laugh:

14. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback.

After considering the PTAE-200 & PT-AE300 both at the offer prices or waiting for the AE-500 I have plumped for the Sanyo PLV-Z2.

I should receive it this week so will try an post a simple review.

Just a note that projectorcentral had a good comparison of the Z2 and P500.

:cool:

15. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a uk date for the AE500 yet? I was first told Feb/march....but just had an email today saying they had a batch in. MMM...will phone them up tomorrow and see whats whats. Its out in the states next week. Carnt be long now.

16. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys, anyone with basic Camera skills will tell you that it's the Photo shot that is wrong...not the Projector shots.
    Any shot taken in that level of light without a flash will have an extremely "short depth of field". If you take a shot at an angle to the screen (one close, one far away) you will end up with only part of the picture in focus, in this case the AE300 . The AE200 didn't stand a chance, that much closer to the lens.

Now if the shot had been taken straight on, then you would have a fair contest.

Agree with other comments though, that nothing beats the reality of seeing the images with the naked eye. As I live in "bumpkin land" :smoke: with no chance of comparing products, has anyone experience of all 3 who could give a rating out of 10 for each in terms of overall Picture quality ? Would help me decide whether to upgrade form AE100 to 300 for minimal cost, or wait for AE500/Z2 to come down in price & make the big jump :devil::

17. TheThingIs

TheThingIs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is interested, I've been to Sound & Vision in Farnworth Bolton over the weekend. (They have a large 4 page spread in HCC) They have both the AE200 and the AE300 on demo there. The 200 is currently at £740 and the 300 is £999. I almost bought the 200 before xmas, I'm so glad I waited. The 300 is a ton better and the price just dropped £300. I'll be buying one this weekend :clap:

18. avbear

avbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea...its for real. U can pre-order, but the actualy units wont ship till the first week in Feb i was told. Want to wait till Ivojo get some in, as ive heard really good things about them. Im hoping they will do dead pixel checks too. Dont fancy spending 1500 on a projector to find dead pixels.

20. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I am selling a nearly new perfect condition AE300 for £750 inc if anyone is interested.

21. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an AE100 that recently topped 1000 hours ;) and I set up an AE200 at Xmas for a mate.

The 200 definately produces a better picture out of the box, requiring virtually no tweaking IMHO. The Sky images using a 10M SCART are miles better than those from my ProV using RF in VGA out. Perhaps I should invest in a SCART to s-video converter? DVD output appeared the same or similar quality, but he has a cheap and nasty DVD player, I don't, so that may be the cause.

I have not seen the 300 or 500 in action.

Dan, if I were not about to buy a house, I would have bitten your fingers off...:mad:

22. mag01

mag01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    >I am selling a nearly new perfect condition AE300 for £750 inc if anyone is interested.

Is this still available ? If so, how old is it, how many hours usage, and any dead pixels (I guess not if perfect condition)?

Cheers,
    Mark.

23. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    All the details are in the AV Hardware classifieds adverts section.

Sorry for stealing the thread!!